February 16, 2016
Greetings from the Principal
Dear Riverview families,
I hope everyone enjoyed the long weekend break, and had successful Parent-Teacher Conferences. Thank you to those who supported the Book Fair as well!
Because the spring schedule is about to heat up (figuratively and literally!), here are some housekeeping dates and reminders for Riverview:
- Kindergarten Round Up is this Thursday, February 18, from 6:00-7:00 pm. All parents with incoming kindergartners are encouraged to attend. Spread the word to neighbors with young ones!
- Next weekend includes the PTA BINGO free, family event on Friday, February 26, 6:30-8:00 pm in the cafeteria, and the PTA-sponsored Movies with Mom at B&B Theaters Sunday, February 28th 1:00 pm. (details included at the end of this newsletter)
- The Riverview PTA-sponsored Blood Drive is Wednesday, March 2.
- Yearbook Orders are due March 4. Extras are not ordered, so please keep this date in mind if you are interested in a 2015-16 Yearbook (details below).
In order to provide for the safety and welfare of students
- Thank you for keeping your students under parental supervision in your vehicle until the front doors are unlocked at 8:30 am.
- If a student arrives after 8:50 am, they must be accompanied by an adult into the building to be signed in and report to class.
- Please be sure to report absences via the phone line (441-0185) or link on Riverview's website.
- Thank you for calling in any going-home changes by 3:00 pm on the day of the change. (441-0808)
Make it a great week!
Thank you to everybody who helped make the 4th grade South Sudan bake sale a huge success!! It was such a hit and we couldn’t have done it without all the wonderful goodies and time people donated! So far, with all the donations we have raised $1025!! With our first goal blown out of the “water,” we are on to our next goal: $6000 for naming rights on a well. Please see the attached flyer for more information. We are so excited to keep raising money for clean water! Thanks for all your support!
Kindergarten Round-Up...Save the Date!
Riverview Elementary - February 18, 2016 from 6:00 - 7:00 PM
We know it's difficult to let go...
That's why our Kindergarten teachers place a high priority on providing a nurturing environment where children thrive - academically, socially, and emotionally. We really care about your child!
>> Preparing your child for Kindergarten - Resources for Parents
Going to Kindergarten in the fall?
Make plans to attend Kindergarten Round-Up and Parent Information Night on February 18th in the Riverview Cafeteria.
Find out everything you need to know at Kindergarten Round-Up and Parent Information Night. Parents will have the opportunity to begin the enrollment process, ask questions, and meet the principal. By Kansas statute, children must be the age of 5 on or before August 31 to be eligible for Kindergarten enrollment.
What will you need?
Parents are encouraged to bring the following information to Kindergarten Round-Up:
Certified copy of child's birth certificate (required by Kansas statute)
Copy of immunization records (from pediatrician)
Proof of residency (copy of current utility bill, real-estate contract, etc.)
Parents will also learn about Before/After School Care offered through a partnership with Johnson County Parks and Recreation Department.
Looking for a way to earn some extra cash while your students are in school? The Student Nutrition department is looking for people to work in our kitchens under a substitute capacity. Hours would be approximately 10am – 2pm and days are flexible. If you are interested in this opportunity, please apply online at the link below.
- Thursday, 18th, - Kindergarten Roundup 6:00 PM | Riverview Cafeteria
- Tuesday, 8th, - 5th Grade Music Program 6:30 PM
- Thursday, 10th, - End of 3rd Quarter
- Friday, 11th, - No School - 1/2 Professional Day, 1/2 Workday
- Monday, 14th - Friday 18th, - No School - Building Closed
- Monday, 21st, - Start of 4th Quarter
Don’t forget to check out the USD 232 Electronic Flyers webpage for information on events and programs offered by outside agencies. http://www.usd232.org/pages/DeSotoUSD232/DistrictInfo/forms_documents/Electronic_Flyers
If you would like to help recruit volunteers for the 2016-2017 Riverview PTA Board, please volunteer to be a part of the Nominations Committee. Volunteers are needed by noon FRIDAY, February 19th. Serving on this committee is not a commitment to be on the PTA Board. To volunteer or seek more information, please email RE PTA at email@example.com.
*Reading Day is February 16th. The classes with the most reading minutes in January are:
K – Starling
* BINGO NIGHT!!! February 26th 6:30 - 8:00 pm - Riverview's Cafeteria.
Mark your calendars now for this FREE, fun, family event!
Volunteers are needed to help set up, clean up, pass out cards and verify Bingos and oversee the prize table. Cookies are also needed!!
If you can help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with BINGO in the subject line.
*Movies with Mom at B&B Theaters Sunday, February 28th 1:00 pm
We will have a private showing of "Back to the Future” just for RE Moms (moms, step-moms, aunts, grandmas or other significant ladies) and their boys.
RSVP by February 19th to take advantage of the special $3 ticket price!
*Mark your calendars for the 2nd annual Riverview Blood Drive. RE PTA is partnering again with the Community Blood Center to host a Blood Drive on March 2nd from 2:00 - 6:30 in the Riverview Gymnasium. More details to come but if you’d like to go ahead and make an appointment to donate, visit www.savealifenow.org and click on "Schedule an Appointment” and enter sponsor code RIVERVIEWPTA. Walk-ins are always welcome too. Thanks for your support for this life saving effort! If you would like to volunteer or provide snacks for the blood drive, sign up here
2/19 Nominating Committee Deadline
2/26 Bingo Night
2/28 Movies with Mom
3/2 Blood Drive
Riverview Elementary PTA