The Scoop from the Snake-pit!
Dessau MS | December 2022
Many Reasons to Celebrate the Season!
What Drives The Holiday Spirit? A Christmas Investigation
The holidays are about nurturing our best selves: the altruistic, compassionate and generous side. We're told the true joy comes in giving, not receiving. And it's true, sometimes giving makes you feel good; you do it enthusiastically and out of the goodness of your heart.
Here at DMS we embrace our diversity during the holidays!
Hanukkah: December 18-26, 2022
Check out more via this citation:
"Judaism." Britannica School, Encyclopædia Britannica, 21 Oct. 2022. school.eb.com/levels/middle/article/Judaism/275192#. Accessed 1 Dec. 2022.
Bohdi Day is December 8th!
Each year on December 8th, Buddhists celebrate the day that Siddhartha Gautama achieved enlightenment through meditation. The word Bodhi means awakening or enlightenment.
Siddhartha Gautama, the founder of Buddhism, is popularly known as the Buddha. Siddhartha, once an Indian Prince, eventually abandoned his life of luxury for a much simpler one. Many believe that Siddhartha resolved to sit underneath a Bodhi tree and meditate until he found the root of suffering and how to free himself from it.
It took 49 days of unbroken meditation. After becoming enlightened and experiencing Nirvana, Siddhartha became a Buddha, or “Awakened One.” For 2,500 years, Buddha’s enlightenment has served as the central tenant of the Buddhist faith.
The Holiday Soul Quiz is Over! 38 students participated & points have been awarded!
For a fresh-burst of modern Holiday Soul, watch "Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey" on Netflix!
Why Self-directed Literacy Matters More Than Ever?
- Students will select what they love to read as a point of entry to meaningful literacy because children hunger for a deeper connection to school separate from tests and grades.
- When allowed to select their own books, their "inner voice" is strengthen to encourage them to speak-up when inspired and listen when ideas provoke a response.
Here are some unique gift ideas!
Candy Cane Stirrers
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cup ground cinnamon (look for the cheap, off-brand stuff—save the good stuff for your cinnamon rolls)
- 2 tablespoons craft glue, optional (I think this makes the ornaments a bit more sturdy, but you can do without it)
- Mixing bowl..
Mint Milk Bath
Milk Bath Recipe Ingredients
- Dry Milk (Powdered milk is simply dehydrated milk, pressed into a fine powder.)
- Baking Soda
- Essential Oil – Many folks seek out essential oils for health benefits, but they also have an incredible fragrance that adds to the aromatherapy experience of your milk bath recipe. Here, I’ve used spearmint essential oil, which can benefit your breathing and help with sore muscles.