MCCHS FRIDAY FOCUS
Pilgrims on the Way of Truth
6th Edition October 21, 2016
A Note from our Spiritual Director/Interim Superintendent...
At today's grandparents' Mass, we reflected on St. Paul's words to the Ephesians - how all believers are called to live a life "worthy of the call you have received." That, he says, includes living the virtues of "humility and gentleness...patience, bearing with one another through love, and striving to preserve the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."
Fitting virtues for all of us striving to say, "I am MC...We are MC!"
If each of us can commit ourselves to praying for and practicing those virtues in our own lives, then we would embody the mission of our school. We would be "pilgrims on the way of Truth," strengthened for our journey of holiness by God's Spirit and walking together in "unity." Therefore, I pray that our Lord will shower our school family and each of you with these virtues.
An update on the superintendent search: we have currently received bids from two national search companies to find our new superintendent. Those bids are currently being considered by the Executive Committee of the school's Council of Administration. We will keep you updated when a company has been engaged, and when the process has begun.
Our students will be taking quarter exams in the coming week. May the Holy Spirit of wisdom and knowledge fill their minds and hearts with what they need to know to grow as students and as children of God.
Rev. T. Doyle
Come See the Fall Play! Honeymoon at Graveside Manor - THIS WEEKEND ONLY!
Fall Play Premieres TONIGHT!
Honeymoon at Graveside Manor
Marian Central is proud to present this year's fall play production of Honeymoon at Graveside Manor! The students have dedicated the past five weeks to rehearsals and set building to bring you a great evening which will certainly put you in the Halloween mood! If you've ever seen any of our wonderful past productions, you'll know what amazing talent we have here at Marian. The Fall Play only happens for ONE WEEKEND - so don't miss this great evening of live theatre!
FRIDAY, Oct. 21, 2016 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
SATURDAY, Oct. 22, 2016 7:00 pm - 9:00pm
SUNDAY MATINEE, Oct. 23, 2016 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Adult Ticket: $10
Student/Senior Ticket: $5
Tickets available at the box office, which opens at 6:15pm Friday and Saturday, and 1:15pm on Sunday!
Check out the local newspaper mention of this wonderful production:
Quarter 1 Exams - October 27th & 28th
For those unfamiliar with our testing process, here is the schedule:
Thursday October 27th is a FULL DAY of school - exams in periods 1, 3, 7, & 9.
Friday Oct. 28th is an early dismissal at 10:40am - exams in periods 2, 4/5/6, and 8.
Students must be in full uniform for both days.
Here are a few suggestions to help your student have a successful exam week:
- spread the studying throughout the week - avoid "cramming" at the last minute!
- organize a quiet study space at home
- review old quizzes and tests
- use the study guides provided
- organize study groups
- check textbooks/workbooks for online learning components - many offer interactive study quizzes, videos, or other resources that may help!
- encourage regular study breaks
- try to get a good night's sleep all week
- eat healthy throughout the entire week leading up to testing, including a good breakfast the morning of testing
- stay away from caffeine and energy drinks
- go into each test with a positive "I can do this" attitude!
Week At-A-Glance: October 22 - 28, 2016
Information was mailed to each student's home regarding the scheduling of parent/teacher conferences as well as Picture Day information for all underclassmen. Please watch the mail for this important mailer!
Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016
- 7:00 pm - Fall Play Honeymoon at Graveside Manor in Auditorium
Sunday, Oct. 23, 2016
- 2:00 pm - Fall Play Honeymoon at Graveside Manor in Auditorium
Monday, Oct. 24, 2016
- SMART Club launches Red Ribbon Week in all 1st hour classes
- 7:00 pm - WINTER SPORTS PARENT/COACH MEETING in Landers Pavilion
Tuesday, Oct. 25, 2016
- 2:45 pm - Ping Pong Club in Auditorium Commons
Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2016
- 2:40 pm - Key Club meeting in Cafeteria
Thursday, Oct. 27, 2016 - FULL DAY OF SCHOOL
- QUARTER EXAMS: Periods 1, 3, 7, 9
Friday, Oct. 28, 2016 - 10:40 am DISMISSAL
- 7:30am: NHS meeting in Auditorium
- QUARTER EXAMS: Periods 2, 4/5/6, 8
- 12:00 pm: Key Club Food Truck event in Landers Pavilion
These are just the highlights of the activities happening this week at Marian. For a more detailed calendar, including all away games and practices, please visit our 8to18 Athletics Calendar. Or, click here for a more detailed look at the Marian Central school calendar (non-athletic.)
Marian's Key Club hosting Marian Cares Outreach Event!
Did you know that over 500,000 neighbors across Northern Illinois face hunger every day? Our students live our school's mission to use their God-given talents to help those most in need.
On October 28, 2016 Marian Central's Key Club will host their semi-annual Marian Cares Community Outreach event, sponsored by the generous people at Centegra Health Systems to provide services, food, and clothing to those in most need within our immediate community.
This is a full-service event where our student-volunteers, partnered with local services, will provide services for families in need:
- wellness screenings through Centegra Health Systems
- warm, gently used clothing through Blessing Barn
- groceries through the Northern Illinois Food Bank
- crafts, activities, and child-care area staffed by our student-volunteers
- refreshment table for all our customers
- donated shopping cart use thanks to Jewel-Osco
Please pray for our students, faculty-adviser, community partners, and our participating families in need on this day. We are thankful for our many blessings here at Marian, but also know we are also always called to greater service to others.
Marian Sports Continues to Make Headlines!
Caroline and Kate Yuk have advanced to the State Quarterfinals that will be played Saturday, October 22nd at 8am at Rolling Meadows High School. Currently, this outstanding doubles team is ranked in the top 16 in the 1A State rankings! Best of luck to both players at tomorrow's matches!
Our Girls Golf team came in 6th place at the Class 1A State tournament in Decatur! What a fantastic season!
For more rankings, results, and schedules - please check out our Athletic Page!
Supporting Marian's Bright Future...
If interested, please contact our Director of Advancement, Josh Binder:
(815) 338-4220 ext. 125
SENIORS! College Application season is in FULL SWING!
Please visit the Marian Central Guidance website for resources, including "College Prep Tasks" for every grade level!
New Items in our Spirit Shop!
Sweater Season is Just Around the Corner!
When students return on Monday, October 31st - they should adhere to the "Sweater Season" dress code policy. Students are required to wear the following:
- Marian sweater (blue or red)
- solid white or solid blue dress shirt
- (boys) tie, covering top button of dress shirt
- long Marian uniform pants (blue or khaki)
In addition to the approved shoes, students may wear boots - but ONLY if the pant-legs can cover the boot to the ankle. Students are not allowed to tuck in their uniform pants into the boots.
As always, continue to support our policy on maintaining properly trimmed/groomed hair, as well as clean-shaven gentlemen. Please refer to our Uniform Visual Guide or the Student Handbook for more information!
All announcements, schedules, and forms are published on our Marian website for your convenience! After any new announcements are broadcast via email, we make sure we post a permanent link to the information on our website for your reference.