All you need to know about grains - Gelila hour 3
Introduction to Grains
Examples.) Of foods in the grain group
SUB GRAIN GROUPS
Whole Grains & Refine Grains
- Contain all parts of a grain the bran, endosperm, and germ.
- Examples.) Whole grain bread, pasta, rice, cereal, ect.
- When the grain has been milled and in the process removed the bran and germ
-Examples.) crackers, breads, pretzels, corn, ect.
WHAT IS A OUNCE OF GRAIN
NUTRIENTS IN GRAINS
Dietary fibers, B vitamins, and Minerals
- Help reduce blood cholesterol levels
- Decreases the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
- Also.) thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and selenium
- Key role in metabolism
- Help the body release energy from proteins, fats , and carbohydrates
- Also.) iron, magnesium, and selenium
- Iron used to carry oxygen in the blood
Eating Grains can come with health benefits such as
- Consuming foods with fibers, whole grains, as part of a healthy can reduce constipation
- Eating whole grains may help with weight management
- Eating grain products fortified with folate before and during pregnancy helps prevent neural tube defects during fetal development
READING FOOD LABELS
Where the whole grain ingredients are found on packaging
- Packaging Label
- Check the list of ingredients
- Label order by weight- if whole wheat is one of the first ones there is more of that ingredient weight wise
- Check for the 100% whole wheat sign
Check serving size and calories
- if you eat 2 servings of a food, you will consume double the calories and double the Daily Value of the nutritions listed on the Nutrition Facts label
Make your calories count
- When looking at a foods nutrition label first check the amount of calories to nutrition and decide weather the food is worth eating