SCCS Home Bulletin
August 23, 2023
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
FROM DR. B:
Happy first day of school, Trailblazers!
Wow, it’s so hard to believe that here we are already at August 23. We are excited to start a new school year!
We praise God for the nearly 550 students who have walked into our doors this morning, and it’s our promise to you that we will teach and guide them from the Reformed Christian perspective.
In fact, it’s that Reformed Christian perspective that we started with a couple of weeks ago with our faculty and staff meetings. We discussed the history of the perspective, what it means to live it out, and our purpose as a school. It’s so important to remind all about the reason why our school exists! Each faculty and staff member also received a “Reformed Perspective Toolkit” (a mug, keychain, coffee, and notepad) that will remind them throughout the year.
It’s also that Reformed Christian perspective that I will be focusing on throughout my articles in the Home Bulletin this year. I plan to share reminders regarding the history, philosophy, creeds, and details of that perspective in the hopes of reminding and encouraging our school community.
We covet your prayers as we start this 23-24 school year – our 119th as a school! Thank you for your support of SCCS, and thanks for choosing us as your educational partner.
Here’s to a great start!
What a blessing to watch all these grinning students (and parents) enter our building this morning!
It's also a pleasure to walk through school an hour later, peek in the rooms, and see our students diligently working!
We are grateful for our amazing faculty and staff who love and TREASURE each of their students and deeply desire to TRAIN them in the deep soil of God's Word and in the wonder of His creation, so that they may be TRANSFORMED by the truth and grace revealed in learning and living God's Story!
Let's go forward in His strength into the 2023-2024 school year!
We will begin our Storyline Chapels on Wednesday, Sept. 6. These chapels take place the first Wednesday of every month and parents are welcome to attend.
WELCOME TO SCCS!
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- Each Wednesday , SCCS dismisses at 2:05 for teacher professional development.
- Students may ride a different bus for daycare purpose only. Parents must write a note, email or call the office to get a bus pass for your child. If you need to contact the transportation director for any reason, call 722-2481.
- Please make sure your child knows their after school plans before they leave home in the morning! Thank you!
FROM NURSE JENNY
BLOOMZ INFO: ALL SCHOOL COMMUNICATION ON BLOOMZ STARTING SEPTEMBER 1
- We will continue to use Bloomz as our school communication tool. Bloomz is our main method of communication throughout the school year, so we ask that all parents view the training below and become comfortable with the tool. Bloomz has made many enhancements this summer. Parents can find a training for Bloomz at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/bloomz.cfm.
- Parents should have received an invitation to join your child's class; please accept the invitation. If you are having difficulty joining that class, please contact the homeroom teacher or the office.
You can decide how you receive notifications from Bloomz. In order to adjust your notifications settings, follow these directions:
- Click on the left menu tray via Bloomz App or Click on the Setting Wheel in the left panel via desktop
- Click on Settings (Wheel icon)
- Click on Account Settings
- Click on Notifications
- Choose how you want to be notified: email, text, app and voicemail (when sent as voice mail)
- Toggle on or off what you want notifications regarding
- NOTE: All communication will be via Bloomz starting September 1.
School pictures will be taken by Alison Obbink Photography on Tuesday, August 29 (Grades TK, 1, 3, 5, 7) and Wednesday, August 30 (Grades K, 2, 4, 6, 8). Your child should have received a picture envelope order form but if not, please contact the office. Please return your picture envelopes by Friday, Aug. 25.
OPPORTUNITIES TO VOLUNTEER
Room Parents are still needed in some classrooms.
PACE needs people to provide food for faculty at various times.CLICK HERE for the links to all these opportunities to serves God’s kids and our school!
SACK PACK PROGRAM
All students have the opportunity to take advantage of the Sack Pack Program. This program provides free food items in a “sack” each Friday to assist families who are struggling to make ends meet. Nurse Jenny discretely distributes the sacks each week. If your student(s) participated in this program last year, they will automatically be re-enrolled this year. If you no longer wish to participate, contact Nurse Jenny. If you would like to join the program, just email Nurse Jenny at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Ashley Keith (email@example.com).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact the school 24 hours in advance of when you would like to eat. The cost for a lunch is $5.00 and can be paid as you go through the lunch line. Thank you!
Our faculty and staff are ready to welcome our TREASURED kids back to school!
We had an all staff meeting last Tuesday morning and our faculty continued in professional development throughout the week. THANK YOU to the Sioux Center Chamber of Commerce for providing breakfast and to Zach and Jon at Pizza Ranch for bringing pizza for lunch!
We also are grateful that Police Chief Josh Koedam came to our meeting and shared the partnership the Sioux Center Police Department will have with the Sioux Center schools through the new school resource officer. Thanks also to Sarah and Peyton who joined us from the Thrive Center for Achievement.
Last Tuesday was capped off with an all staff family picnic behind school, so we could enjoy a time of great food and fellowship on a beautiful evening!
RETIRED FACULTY AND STAFF GATHERING
Each year, our retired faculty and staff gather together on the first day of school to visit and reminisce. This morning, fourteen former SCCS teachers and staff met at air-conditioned Casey's Bakery to celebrate their combined 405 years of service to SCCS! Josh Bowar, Brandon Haan, and Paul Ross briefly shared an update on school and thanked them for impact they had on MANY students' lives as they served God at SCCS. We THANK YOU ALL as well! Their faithfulness in training God's kids is still blessing many lives today!
We Need You to Serve God’s treasured kids at SCCS!!
This year we are requiring each family to serve in one of two areas that benefit every SCCS student.
Hours are 11:15am - 1:00pm. Three people work together to wash trays and silverware and wipe the tables. Bonus: You get to eat lunch for free with one of your children! We are asking that you work at least one time per month.
Benefit: With three volunteers working each school day, we save the cost of hiring three part-time employees.
Shifts are available on Wednesdays, Thursdays and one Saturday per month. There are two volunteers needed for each shift and there is always a manager present to give you guidance. Volunteers help check out customers, unpack, check, and price clothing, steam clothing, put items on display, and neaten displays. Everything at Outlet 75 is new and purchased at a deep discount from places like Costco and Target.
Volunteers are critical to sales - the more merchandise we can get on the floor, the more we can sell! We are asking that you work at least two times per year.
Benefit: Outlet 75 distributes all profits to SCCS and each child receives a share of that profit in the Alternate Revenue Contribution on your tuition statement!
As an SCCS parent, you are required to choose one of these two above areas of opportunity. We would LOVE for you to choose both! Men and women are welcome in both areas!
Your willing work in these areas is greatly appreciated and truly helps SCCS treasure and train your children! This is the only required service we ask every family to give to SCCS - thank you for doing your part to make our school thrive! If you do not complete the form by Friday, September 15 we’ll fill you in where you’re needed most!
CLICK HERE to choose your area and specify the times that work best for you…
WE ARE HIRING
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please fill out the form at the link below if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
BIKE TO SCHOOL DAY
Lorna Moss daily demonstrated an active lifestyle and inspired generations of NW Iowans to live healthily and to serve deeply. Lorna was tragically killed while riding her bike in September of 2021. The community of Sioux Center wishes to preserve her legacy by encouraging an active lifestyle and advocating for safe mobility practices for motorists, cyclists, and pedestrians. Students and staff at all Sioux Center schools are encouraged to walk or ride their bike to school on the first Friday in September.
- Community Events & Forms (https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/officehandouts.cfm) is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for: Unity Christian Cheer Kids Camp, Western Christian Junior Wolfpack Cross Country, Moped Safety Class, Fall Drivers Ed Course
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate a staff member to become the Pella Corporation Staff member of the month. Pella Corporation will award one monthly recipient $500.00 to use towards school approved items and a certificate of recognition. A nomination form can be found here.