What is democracy?

Find out what is the House of Lords and The Monarch

What is democracy?

A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

3 branches of Government

There are 3 branches of government, these are:


Legislative: They make new laws and change old ones.


Executive: They suggest new laws and ensure existing laws are implemented. This power is given to government departments and the civil service.


Judicial: They interpret the laws and make unbiased judgements on whether laws have been broken. This power is given to the court system.


http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0774837.html

How to become a member of the House of Lords

There are 3 main ways you can become a member in the House of Lords, these are:
Big image

House of Lords

The House of Lords is the second chamber of the UK Parliament. It works with the House of Commons to:


  • Make laws.
  • Check and challenge the actions of the government.
  • Provide a forum of independent expertise.


The House of Lords Chamber spends about 60% of its time on legislation; the other 40% is spent on scrutiny which is questioning Government and debating issues and policy. Committee work takes place outside the Chamber.


http://www.parliament.uk/about/faqs/house-of-lords-faqs/role/

How to become a member of the House of Lords

The House of Lords Appointments Commission was set up in May 2000 and this independent, public body recommends individuals for appointment as non-party-political life peers and vets nominations for life peers to ensure the highest standards of propriety. There are several ways to become a member:


Resignation Honours

Resigning Prime Ministers can recommend peerages for fellow politicians, political advisors or others who have supported them.


Dissolution Honours

Takes place at the end of a Parliament, when peerages can be given to MPs - from all parties - who are leaving the House of Commons.


http://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/about-lords/lords-appointment/

The Monarchy

The queen is the UK monarch and has a variety of responsibilities in the parliament, some of these include:

  • Gives the final approval to all laws.
  • Officially appoints the Prime Minister after a General Election.
  • Creates new meetings and debates in parliament.


http://www.parliament.uk/education/about-your-parliament/mps-lords-monarch/the-monarch-and-parliament/

Big image