June 4, 2021
Greetings, Tubman Family
Well, we are going into our last week of school for this school year. It was a school year of questions, answers, and unknowns, but your support helped us navigate a new format of teaching, learning, and support. Thank you! (Together Everyone Achieves More)
A Message from Ms. Pierce-Band Director:
It's time to return PPS rental instruments and Color Guard equipment! If you checked out an instrument or color guard equipment through the school, it needs to be returned this week. The deadline for instrument and equipment returns is Tuesday, June 8th. Instruments and equipment can be dropped off in the main office between 9 am - 4 pm or returned when your student comes to hybrid class. Please contact Mrs. Pierce via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Remind if you need assistance with this process. Thanks! - Mrs. Pierce
Enjoy the final scholar's newsletter, The Tubman Times, for this school year. Thank you Nate Shine for your vision and desire to start this venture! Kudos to you!
IMPORTANT: All scholars and staff are to self-screen prior to entering a PPS facility. Please have you, the parent/guardian, and your scholar conduct this screening every day before their travels to school. If your scholar is displaying any of the symptoms, please have them stay home and report it to Principal Mair, email@example.com.
HTMS PRINCIPAL SEARCH
Here is the community survey for the input on choosing a new principal for HTMS.
HTMS' END OF YEAR EVENTS
- 8th Grade Celebration - Wednesday, June 9th @ 6:00 pm
- Talent Show - Thursday, June 10th @ 10:00 am
- Cultural Celebration - Friday, June 11th @ 10:00 am
TAKE YOUR SHOT SCHOLARSHIPS
In case you didn’t see it, we are sharing this announcement from ODE about the “Take Your Shot” campaign. There are five $100,000 Oregon College Savings Plan scholarships available for Oregonians age 12 to 17 who have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by June 27th.
PPS SUMMER ARTS ACADEMY--PLEASE VIEW FLYER
The central office Visual & Performing Arts (VAPA) team is excited to announce the 2021 Summer Arts Academy taking place in person at Harriet Tubman Middle School from August 9-20. This academy is free and open to rising 6th-9th grade students attending school in the McDaniel, Jefferson, and Roosevelt cluster neighborhoods and students attending Beaumont (from Rigler), Harriet Tubman, Kellogg (from Lent), and Lane middle schools in fall 2021. Students can register online at tinyurl.com/2021summerarts. If they are not able to register online, they will also have access to paper applications through school secretaries. ____________________________________________________________________________________________
MENTAL HEALTH & WELLNESS RESOURCES
- Mental Wellness Resources for Students & Families (all languages)
- Prevention Strategies and Healthy Decision Making (all languages)
- Vibing & Thriving: A space for Black, Brown, and Indigenous POC PPS students (ages 8-18) for healing, hanging, and holding each other in fierce love. Available all summer.
- Youth Resource App
- Native American/Indigenous Parenting Class through NARA
- Lines for Life Racial Equity Support Line is service-led and staffed by people with lived experience of racism.
MULTNOMAH COUNTY LIBRARY SUMMER READING PROGRAM INFORMATION
Please view the flyer.
BEST KIDS VISUAL ARTS MUSIC THEATER DANCE SUMMER CAMP
Campers ages 6-12 create, collaborate, and shine while creating in visual arts, music, theatre, and dance. Two weeks only - July 5-9 & July 12-16 - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the World Forestry Center. Scholarships are available to PPS students. Only a few camper spots remain, so please help us spread the word to your young artists! CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TO REGISTER
PAX PROGRAM OF ACADEMIC EXCHANGE FLYER
Here is the informational flyer.
SATURDAY ACADEMY SUMMER CAMPS & CLASS FLIERS
Please click on the flyer for further details.
OREGON HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE
Please view the flyer for information.
PANDEMIC EBT BENEFITS
While meals are served at no cost to children ages 1-18 at several Portland Public School sites this year, there are several benefits for eligible families to submit a meal application this school year.
- Families approved for free and reduced-price meals may be eligible to receive future potential government assistance such as Pandemic EBT benefits (*please note that Oregon has not been approved yet for expanded Pandemic EBT benefits; we will alert families when we learn more and if it is approved).
- Families may be eligible for other benefits such as school-related fee reduction or waivers, low-cost internet, and health coverage.
Families do not need to submit a meal application if any of the following apply:
- All students in the household attend a Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) school (list located online: (https://www.pps.net/Page/2088) where students eat meals at no cost.
- A meal application has already been submitted and approved for the 2020-21 school year.
- The household received a 2020-21 Direct Certification Approval letter.
- The household does not meet the 2020-21 Federal Income Guidelines
Eligible families who would like to submit a meal application have the following options:
- Online at www.schoolcafe.com/pps.
- Print, complete, and mail back a paper meal application (https://www.pps.net/Page/2464) to PPS Nutrition Services, 501 N. Dixon St., Portland, OR 97227.
- Request a paper meal application be mailed home from firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503.916.3402.
For meal benefits-related questions, please email email@example.com or call 503.916.3402.
SATURDAY ACADEMY ONLINE STEAM ONLINE CLASSES FOR MIDDLE SCHOOLERS
This is an opportunity for our scholars. If interested, please click on this link for further information.
COGNIZART KIDS CAMP 2021 -- JULY 5TH - 9TH & JULY 12TH - 16TH
PSU PORTLAND SUMMER PERCUSSION ACADEMY
Here is the opportunity flyer for scholars aged 12-18 years old.
Dates: July 19th - 21st
OSU PRE-COLLEGE PROGRAMS SUMMER READING SKILLS PROGRAMS
(AGES 4 THROUGH 11TH GRADE)
Here is the opportunity flyer.
SO YOU WANT TO BE A CANVAS PARENT OBSERVER
Parents, if you would like to be an observer of your scholar's courses, this step-by-step direction will allow you to see your scholar's courses. Mr. Longo provided a demonstration at yesterday's training. If you have multiple scholars, you can add them to the same account that you have created.
If you have a registration or general question, please contact our office staff via email: Ms. Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ms. Maharry, email@example.com, and Ms. Smith-Myles, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, the office is still closed until further notice.
Lastly, please click on the buttons below.
Please take care, and have a wonderful weekend!
MS. DYSTE'S DYNAMIC ARTISTS--SCHOLARS' SPOTLIGHT
Please utilize our media center services to access books for our scholars to read.
Scroll down to Comprehensive Distance Learning Platforms & Tools and then click on the 6-12 tab
Assistant Principals and Counselors assigned Grade Levels
Mrs. Marquardt-Dustin - 8th Grade/Electives/Special Education/Social Studies
Ms. Loewen - 6th Grade and 7th Grade (Letters A-L)
Ms. Drew - 8th Grade and 7th Grade (M-Z)
Principal Mair - Language Arts/Mathematics
June/August/September Monthly Calendar Dates
9 8th Grade Promotion Parade
10 Talent Show
11 Cultural Celebration Assembly
11 Last day of school
18 Office Closed for the Summer
19 Office Hours Resume: 8:30-4:00 pm
1 First Day of School