Smart Money Moves
Your monthly guide to Financial Aid Information: Nov 2019
In this issue, you will find:
- Congratulations to Cultural Awareness Scholarship winners!
- How to Complete your 2020-21 FAFSA: A step-by-step guide!
- Have Financial Aid Questions? CFNC is here to help!
- Senior Academy opportunities for FAFSA and Scholarship Help
- Scholarship Starting Points
- CSS Financial Aid Profile
- UNC School System Priority Filing Deadlines
Congrats Cultural Awareness Scholarship Winners, Lukas Bender & Eason Mills!
How to complete your 2020-21 FAFSA: A step-by-step guide!
Are you worried about how to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
Don't be! Filling out the FAFSA is one of the most important and easiest steps you can take to help you plan financially for college.
Check out the below link for a step-by-step tutorial on how to complete your 2020-21 FAFSA.
Need Answers About the FAFSA or Financial Aid? CFNC is here to help!
Financial Aid and FAFSA Completion Assistance
Want help completing the FAFSA? College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) wants to help!
Follow this link to a short form that will tell CFNC where they can find you one-on-one FAFSA assistance:
Crosby Scholars Senior Academy #12F FAFSA and/or Profile Lab
Crosby Scholars staff and volunteers will be available to assist you in starting, working on, and completing the 20-21 FAFSA and/or the CSS Profile.
The purpose of attending CSA #12F is to submit your 20-21 FAFSA, so you cannot receive academy credit for CSA #12D AND CSA #12 unless you are seeking assistance with completing the CSS Profile.
Although you are not required to bring your parent/guardian to this academy, students who attend the lab with a parent/guardian are more successful in submitting their 20-21 FAFSA during the lab.
Bring your completed community service form to this academy and be entered to win a $25 gift card to Target!
Title: CSA #12F FAFSA and/or Profile Lab
Date: Saturday, November 9
Time: 9:00-10:00 a.m.
Location: Room 3363, Strickland Center on the campus of Forsyth Technical Community College
To successfully work on and complete your FAFSA you will need the following information. IMPORTANT: Students and families who do not show up with this information cannot receive assistance. The information is critical in completing the FAFSA.
- An FSA ID username and password for the student and ONE parent. Don't have it created yet? Create your FSA ID here.
- If the student/parent has not created an FSA ID, please bring the following:
- Student social security number, birthdate, email address and phone number
- Parent(s) social security number, birthdate, email address and phone number
- Parent financial information
- Parent's 2018 Tax forms
- Parent's 2018 W2
- Student financial information (if the student filed taxes please bring the following)
- Student's 2018 Tax forms
- Student's 2018 W2
Crosby Scholars Senior Academy #10B - Scholarships: An Avenue for Funding for Your College Education
Earning scholarship dollars can help cover the cost of college. Universities, non-profit organizations, private foundations, and individuals offer students the opportunity to compete for scholarships based on merit, academic major, and other criteria. This academy will help students to recognize legitimate funding sources.
If you participate in this Crosby Scholars Senior Academy, you will be eligible to apply for the $300 Harry Scofield Memorial Book Scholarship!
Title: CSA #10B - Scholarships: An Avenue for Funding for Your College Education
Time: November 19 at 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Location: This is a webinar - online only!
**Register to attend in your Crosby Scholars Student Portal!**
Scholarship Starting Points
Not sure where to start when looking for scholarships or grants? Try the following options to help narrow down your search and pinpoint scholarships that are right for you.
Crosby Scholars Outside Scholarship Database lists Outside Scholarships that we are aware of.
Crosby Scholars Scholarship opportunities for Seniors will be available beginning January 6, 2020 in the Crosby Scholars Student Portal. Check your Student Portal for more information.
We open at least 1 new scholarship per week, so check your Crosby Scholars Student Portal frequently and apply for as many as you can.
The application for Crosby Scholars Last Dollar Grant will become available in late April/Early May 2020.
College Board Opportunity Scholarships - Turn your Efforts into Scholarships! The College Board has launched a new scholarship program with $5 million of scholarships each year, beginning with the class of 2020.
You may also want to try:
CSS/FINANCIAL AID PROFILE
The College Board’s CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE® is an online application that collects information used by almost 400 colleges and scholarship programs to award financial aid from sources outside of the federal government.
If attending one of the below schools, you should complete the Fall 2020/Spring 2021 PROFILE®.
North Carolina Colleges that REQUIRE CSS PROFILE are:
- Davidson College
- Duke University
- Elon University
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake Forest University
Make sure your school requires the CSS Profile before you fill it out -- CSS Profile Applications are not free. It costs $25 to fill out and submit the form to one school, and an additional $16 for each additional school.
UNC School System FAFSA Priority Filing Deadlines
Make sure you know the institutional Financial Aid priority deadline for your school! Filing out and submitting your FAFSA by a school's Institutional priority deadline is the best way to ensure you will be considered for the most federal and state financial aid funds.
UNC School System FAFSA Priority Filing Dates
- North Carolina A&T State University -- December 1st
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro -- December 1st
- University of North Carolina at Wilmington -- January 1st
- Western Carolina University -- January 1st
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte -- March 1st
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill -- March 1st
- Eastern Carolina University -- March 1st
- University of North Carolina at Asheville -- March 1st
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke -- March 1st
- Winston Salem State University -- March 1st
- Appalachian State University -- March 1st
- Elizabeth City State University -- March 1st
- North Carolina State University -- March 1st
- North Carolina Central University -- March 15th
If you do not see your school listed, you can find their FAFSA priority deadline by checking the Financial Aid section of their website.