Raureka School Term 4 Week 1
Newsletter 20 October 2021
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
Welcome back to a very short Term 4, and it is going to be busy. School finishes for us all on Wednesday 15th December at 12:30.
A reminder that Friday is Hawke's Bay Anniversary Day and Monday is Labour Day so no school until next Tuesday. We have our Teacher Only Day on Monday 22nd November so we won't have school then, and no staff will be on site. The YMCA will be open if you need to have child care- please contact them to arrange for this.
Next week our Year 6's head off to camp and will enjoy four fantastic days learning new skills at Guthrie Smith Camp at Lake Tutira. They leave first thing Tuesday morning- remember they need to bring a packed lunch for themselves. I know that they will enjoy camp.
On Friday the rest of the Senior team will have a trip to the Redwoods and Havelock North as part of their EOTC week.
We will be saying farewell to Mrs Pope, who is going to retire at the end of this year. Mrs Pope has been working at Raureka School for 37 years and has spent a lot of this time working with our ESOL children. I want to thank her now for the great things she has done at Raureka like teaching the children how to play the ukulele, taking craft groups and preparing lots of costumes for shows we've had as well working with all of her groups. She will be missed.
During the holidays there have been a few changes that we will have to abide by as from the beginning of next year.
All staff will have to show that they are fully vaccinated by 1st January 2022 or they won't be able to work in school.
We will also need to make sure that volunteers such as parent helpers who go on trips and other visitors to the school are also vaccinated and we will need to keep a register of them.
This register will be confidential and the information will only be used for the information about vaccination. As from next year we will only be able to have fully vaccinated and police vetted helpers on any trips. This is to ensure everyones safety.
At the end of last term the Seniors were able to run their Cross Country event. Congratulations to Kakariki who won with Whero and Kowhai coming second equal and Kahurangi third. It was so great to see all of the children doing so well in the event.
In the values rewards for the term Whero came first, Kowhai second, Kakariki third and Kahurangi came fourth.
Sports Uniforms: Please return them as soon as possible. We still have a number of children who have some sports uniforms at home. We need these back. If they aren't returned a bill will be sent home asking for payment as the uniform will need to be replaced.
As we are in Term 4 all children need to wear a potae (hat). Hats can be bought from the office for $10:00.
- Please remember that classes start at 8:55 a.m. each day and all children should be at school, unless they are sick, ready to start then.
- Children are required to wear our correct Raureka School uniform - no exceptions. Royal blue polo-shirt $30, royal blue polar-fleece $40 are both available from the office. Shorts, skorts, skirts, longs must be plain black and can be purchased in town.
- Please remember that in case of an emergency we need to have an up to date contact number for you and for your emergency contact person, also a current address - Please let the office know of any changes.
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Relationships/Whanaungatanga. - which means, interacting in a caring, respectful way to develop positive connections.
Expected behaviour for this week: consider others.
The following children received awards at our last assembly:
R1 Isabella Crichton, R2 Sabrina Sehjal, R4 Mazzis Paenga, R5 Trelayusz Takiwa, R7 Cedric Heath, R8 Yahya Gul, R11 Ruby McMeiken, R12 Tyreese Bennett, R13 Dylan Owen-Smith,
R14 Sari Helg, R15 Savannah Bennett-Konia, R19 Taleah Robertson, R20 Daemon Lincoln,
R21 Zayden Reece, ESOL Nicole Bergman-Montero.
Hello Room 8 - what have you got to share with us this week?
Room 12 update
Senior Cross Country
- Mon. 18 October Term 4 begins at 8.55
- Fri. 22 October- Hawkes Bay Anniversary No School
- Mon. 25 October -Labour Day No School
- Tues. 26-29 October- Year 6 Camp at Guthrie Smith Outdoor Education Centre
- Fri. 29 October- Senior Trip to HN/Redwoods
- Mon. 8 Nov. - Wed. 11 Nov. - Digital Circus working with classes
- Tues. 16 Nov. Athletic Sports
- Mon 22 Nov Teacher Only Day- No School
- Thu. 30 Nov. Junior Trip
- Fri. 10 Dec Reports come home
- Mon 13 Dec Year 6 Social
- Tues. 14 Dec Final Assembly 1:00 p.m.
- Last Day of 2021 - Wed. Dec. 15 (School closes at 12.30)
School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers. The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. We need help on the following days - Front Gate: Wednesday, Friday, Back Gate: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.