Wayland Union Schools
Wayland Union Schools utilizes the Reader's and Writer's Workshop model for Language Arts Instruction. Our district utilizes the Lucy Calkins Units of Study for Reading and Writing as the basis of our Language Arts program but supplement based on the needs of students, which vary from year to year. Students in Kindergarten through 3rd grade also complete the Saxon Phonics program in order to establish a firm foundation in phonics skills.
Essential Standards for 1st Language Arts:
- Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis and decoding skills
- Read with sufficient accuracy and fluency to support comprehension
- Retell stories and text including key details and identify the main topic of a text
- With support from an adult, focus on a topic and be able to respond to questions from peers and add details to strengthen writing.
In accordance with Michigan's new Third Grade Reading Law, all students must be within one grade level of reading proficiency at the end of their Third Grade year. To read about how you can help your child reach reading proficiency, please check out our Read At Home Plan.
Essential Standards for 1st Grade Math:
- Identify and write numbers to 120
- Identify two-digit numbers and numbers that are greater than, less than, or equal to each other
- Add and subtract numbers within 10
- Identify place value for 1s and 10s.
Parents looking to help their child with math at home might find the following resources useful.
Source: MAISA Social Studies 1st Grade Course Description
Helping your Child at Home
Wayland Union Schools offers access to several different programs that can keep students learning at home. Please read below to learn about the various programs. Usage may vary from grade to grade so please be sure to look at the target audience and work with your child's teacher to maximize the benefit of each program.
Please contact your child's teacher or the Technology Helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org) for usernames and passwords for the various websites.
To learn about the different programs that students may utilize at home, click here.