BETTER CHOICES, BETTER LIVES
Beautycounter by Esther
Think before you pink: Carcinogens for the cure???
I am all for awareness and prevention. Please get regular checkups, including monthly self-checkups and mammograms/ultrasounds/thermography as deemed needed. Please trust your instincts -- if something doesn't feel right, get it checked!!
But I think by now most everyone is aware of breast cancer, and we need to focus on a CURE and PREVENTION in the first place.
Think about it (summarized from thinkbeforeyoupink.org 2014 campaign):
- pink ribbons on everything are pretty empty at this point. We know about breast cancer, awareness is very raised. Will another pin really have any impact? We need ACTION
- pink ribbon promotions often spread misinformation about breast cancer, playing up genetic factors only, focusing on a 5-year cure rate instead of the harsh reality that many survivors develop breast cancer again in their lives, ignoring environmental factors. For a comprehensive report, read this
- corporations exploit consumers with pink ribbons and promote products to support research, while they are really giving capped and set donations, not a percent of the proceeds!
- companies pinkwash and sell pink products laced with ingredients that cause/are linked to cancer! BPA, Fragrance, Parabens, Phthalates, Formaldehyde releasers are just a few of these products. Did you know that your pink-ribbon produce (looking at you, Halo mandarins) may be grown with wastewater full of carcinogens??
- pink ribbon products often sexualize and objectify women's breasts and bodies - tight save the ta-tas shirts? save second base campaigns? While these campaigns may be sexy and/or cute, they are doing nothing to help find a cure (see exploitation and pinkwashing above). Plus, breast cancer DOES occur in men! Although rare, it's not just a woman's disease
- pretty in pink? not really Pink ribbons hide the harsh reality that I've seen far too many friends go through in recent years. Promoting triumphant survivors is wonderful, but the reality is harsh and ugly, and should not in any way be marginalized.
So what can you do? (encore from last year)
If someone you know is fighting, help them out. Bring them food, drive them to appointments. Be there to hold a hand and give a hug when needed. Help care for their kids (human and animal). Offer to do laundry/clean/hire a cleaning service. Help with shopping.
Think before you pink. Before you buy, consider the following:
1. How much money, if any, goes from the purchase to support breast cancer programs
2. What organization gets the money? What kinds of programs are they implementing to help prevent cancer?
3. Is there a cap on how much the company will donate? Can you learn what that cap is and if it has been met?
4. Does the product contain ingredients that are/suspected to be carcinogenic?
Consider supporting organizations that focus on preventing breast cancer in the first place. One of my favorite charities in this arena is the Breast Cancer Fund.
Consider that we can't cure everyone, and end of life care is vital too. Donate to a local hospice, where people are devoted to helping others live their lives with dignity and comfort. Another favorite here is Calvary hospital.
Maintain a healthy weight. Obesity is linked to breast cancer.
Consult the "Dirty Dozen" list from EWG and buy organic on those products
Detox your kitchen. Ditch the plastic, teflon, BPA lined cans, and other cancer causing products. Return to the old fashioned and extremely effective methods of using vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, essential oils, baking soda, salt, and lemons to do a lot of your cleaning.
Take a stand with your wallet, and don't support companies that pinkwash.
Detox your personal care products. Avoid BPA, Fragrance, BHT, BHA, PEG compounds, Formaldehyde, Parabens, Phthalates, SLS, SLES. Consult the Never List for ingredients to avoid and the names that they go by. Buy Beautycounter or other safe brands.
shop for a cause
Gift with purchase
- Lip Gloss in Peony
- Lip Gloss in Dahlia
- Lip Sheer in Rose
- Lip Sheer in Petal
Please let me know by email or Facebook message which product you would like.