Designing for Metacognition: TCEA 2015
What you will need to play along!
1. 81Dash Account*: Free
- Go here to sign up http://81dash.com
- Join this room http://81dash.com/Visible-Thinking
- Introduce yourself: Who you are, What you do, Why you came to this session
*This is the way we are going to share our thinking and creations so you really will need an account. If you have any concerns let me know!
Why Visible Thinking?
Activity: Hexagonal Thinking
- Use the hexagon to respond to the big question: How can we use technology to impact learning?
- Get up, move around the room, looking for a place where your idea connects with another and place your hexagon accordingly. Have conversations with those around you about why you think it fits there.
- As you look at the hexagons and talk with those in the room, see if another idea comes to you. Use the extra hexagons around the room to add to the growing thinking map.
Reflection: Hexagonal Thinking
- Reflect on this activity. What did you notice about your thinking? How did your peers encourage, extend, or challenge your thinking?
- Complete this sentence stem: I made my thinking visible by____________.
- Share your sentence with the room here: http://81dash.com/Visible-Thinking
Resource for your classroom:
Thinking Routine: What make's you say that?
Activity: What makes you say that?
- Listen to the story
- Be Thinking: What's going on here? Why might I think that?
- Listen again: this time you will draw what is going on in the story using a drawing app of your choice.
- Share your drawing in our 81 Dash room http://81dash.com/Visible-Thinking Explain your thinking.
Activity: Teaching is like_____
- Look at the Visual Synetic: use the pictures (or other ideas) to come up with a simile
- Complete the sentence: Teaching is like ____________ because __________.
- If you would like--create a visual synetic to support your sentence.
- Post your response (and picture) on the Padlet here: http://padlet.com/clark_tracyann/visiblethinking
Nurturing a Culture of Thinking
Activity: Nurturing a Culture of Thinking
- Go here: http://81dash.com/Visible-Thinking
- Explore the Nurturing a Culture of Thinking Document (click it to make it bigger)
- Turn & Talk: Where could you make a change relating to one of these forces? How would it impact student thinking? What makes you say that?
- Complete this sentence stem: I could nurture a culture of thinking by______________.
- Share your sentence in the 81dash room.