Zemaitis Health and Wellness
National Heart Month
While that number sounds scary, there are things that you can do to prevent this. If you are a smoker, stop now. Whether you use acupuncture, meditation or medication, becoming an ex-smoker can increase your life. Start exercising. This doesn't mean go run a marathon right away. Add in 20 minutes of moderate walking and increase intensity and/or duration slowly. Change your and your family's diet. Take out the sugary drinks and drink more water. Reduce salt intake. Add in foods that have a variety of colors, such as peppers, green leafy vegetables, and pineapple. Limit foods high in cholesterol, especially if your cholesterol is already elevated. If you have not had your cholesterol tested, let us know. It is an easy blood test to have done.
February Recipe: Fish Florentine
4 5 oz thick pieces of skinless white firm fish fillet (such as grouper, bass or halibut)
1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon salted butter
1 cup red bell pepper chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
9 ounces fresh baby spinach, from two bags
2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, I like Philadelphia
¼ cup half & half cream
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
fresh black pepper
1.In a large skillet over medium heat add 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 tablespoon of butter, red bell pepper and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes.
2. Add spinach season with a pinch of salt and pepper mix until the spinach wilts down.
3.Add cream cheese, half & half and parmesan cheese mix well until cream cheese is melted and resembles creamed spinach.
4. Heat a separate skillet on medium high heat, add remaining oil and butter.
5. Season fish on both sides with salt and pepper and place on the hot pan.
6. Cook 6 minutes on first side and flip fish over and cook other side an additional 5 minutes, until cooked through and browned.
7. Divide the spinach mixture on the bottom of each plate and top with piece of fish.
This recipe and more can be found at www.skinnytaste.com
March also brings with it the 5 year anniversary of Zemaitis Health and Wellness' opening. We will be having drawings, sales and freebies during this month so STAY TUNED!