The Ancient Maya Civilization
By Abbey Stone
Images of Mayan culture
- 2 calendars- the first with 365 days for harvest and planting (We use this calendar today in regular life) The other included 260 days strictly for religious events.
- They had observatories and astronomy buildings where they studied space (along with the stars)
- The Mayans were great mathematicians! They created the symbol/concept of "zero."
- The Mayans made a writing system including pictographs and hieroglyphics in which they wrote on bark and used stone tables.
- The architectural workers (builders) used obsidian to carve stone and they did NOT use metal tools because they did not exist in Mesoamerica.
- The artists carved, painted, and made jewelry in their spare time.
Fun Facts about the Mayan Culture
- They thought crossed eyes were beautiful, so you would see majority of the Mayans with crossed eyes.
- The Mayans believed flat foreheads were essential, so they would strap a flat board onto the newborn baby's head and leave it there for several days.
- The sharp teeth of the Mayan people were from them sharpening them and place jade in them.
Maya and Inca Civilization Music!