Senior Newsletter #15
March 16, 2015
Oh, the Places You'll Go
2015 Rotary Scholarships - 3 $500 Scholarships for Norfolk High School Seniors
25% Community Service
25% Extracurricular Activities
Applications and information are available in the folder below or see the counseling center. Return applications to the counseling center by Friday, March 20th.
Makayla Sabotka Scholarship
Makayla Sobotka was a gifted writer who was active in Speech/Debate. She was a sophomore at Norfolk Senior High when her life was cut short due to a tragic car accident on March 22, 2005. Because her writings were an inspiration to so many, we wish to offer this $1000 scholarship to allow others the opportunity to further their education and become an inspiration to others.
- Applicant must rank in top half of graduating class.
- Preference will be given to students who have not received any scholarship assistance at the time this scholarship is awarded.
- Good citizen, high integrity, and involvement in the community
Norfolk Public Schools Foundation Scholarships
Any senior student who attended Bel Air, Grant, Jefferson, Montessori, Washington, Westside, or Woodland Park Elementary Schools in Norfolk can apply for that school's scholarship. The award amounts and number of recipients vary depending on the school. There is one application form to complete to apply to any of the schools. Applications are available in the counseling center or click on "application form" above and print off a copy. Applications must be turned into the counseling center by 4:00 pm on March 27th.
Carol Gall Memorial Scholarship
Steve F. Wemhoff Memorial Scholarship
2 $500 Scholarships to seniors planning to study in any field at an accredited institution of post secondary education. The scholarship is based on academic ability, leadership, activities, financial need, personal goals, and career goals. Seniors from Norfolk and surrounding communities can apply by writing an essay setting forth accomplishments, achievements, and reasons why you should be considered for the scholarship. See your counselor to get a required letter of at least a "B" GPA. For more information click here to see the attached application form or see the counseling center. Deadline is April 1st.
Midwest Bank Scholarships
1. Jim B. & Lillian F. Cooper Foundation Scholarships - Supporting and encouraging higher education is a priority for the Jim B. & Lillian F. Cooper Foundation. This has been demonstrated through years of scholarships awarded to graduating seniors in the communities that Midwest Bank serves. In each Norfolk high school, $500 is awarded for a one year scholarship to a student in need.
2. Anne Cooper Memorial Scholarship - Awarded to a graduating senior who demonstrates great involvement in extra curricular activities in their school and community while continuing to perform at a high level in the classroom. One $2000 scholarship is awarded at the end of each school year.
To apply for these scholarships, visit www.jimandlilcooperfoundation.org. Deadline to submit your online application is April 1st.
American Legion Auxiliary, Unit 16, Youth Scholarship
Sacred Heart Altar Society Scholarship
Odenza Marketing Group Scholarship
Odenza Marketing Group Scholarship - $500 - Deadline: March 30th
To be eligible:
- be between 16 and 25 on March 30, 2015
- submit answers to the essay questions, which can be found on the application page.
- Have a GPA of 2.5 or greater
Nebraska Legal Professionals Association
Education Quest Scavenger Hunt Scholarship
Apply for EducationQuest’s Scavenger Hunt Scholarship!
Apply by March 31 for EducationQuest’s Scavenger Hunt Scholarship. You could earn $500 toward your college education! Here’s how it works:
1. If you haven’t already, complete a profile in ScholarshipQuest at EducationQuest.org. ScholarshipQuest is a scholarship search tool with over 2,000 Nebraska-based awards.
2. If you are a Nebraska resident in grades 9-12, you will see the EducationQuest Scavenger Hunt Scholarship as one of the scholarships that will appear on your results page.
3. “Scavenge” around the EducationQuest website to find answers to questions in a survey.
4. EducationQuest will draw a winner from those who answer all questions correctly. The winner will receive $500 to invest in a NEST 529 College Savings Plan.
Faith Regional Health Services Volunteers
The Nebraska Society of Mayflower Descendants
The Nebraska Society of Mayflower Descendants is offering a $500 Burt & Becky Whedon Memorial Scholarship to a high school senior planning to attend an accredited 4-year college or university. Scholarship applicants must be a resident of Nebraska and a US citizen. Applicants will be evaluated by a written essay, GPA and class rank, ACT or SAT scores, honors received, school or volunteer activities, employment, demonstrated leadership and a letter of recommendation from a teacher or guidance counselor. For complete requirements and to apply go tohttp://nebraskamayflower.org/downloads/scholarship-application.pdf. Application material must be submitted by March 31st to:
Martin W. Beerman
Nebraska Society of Mayflower Descendants
19509 Frances Circle
Omaha, NE 68130-2982
The American College Foundation
The American College Foundation awards $1000-$5000 Visionary Scholarships each year to 9-12 grade students. Students should visit the Visionary Scholarship page for complete details. The deadline to apply is April 1st.
All applications for the American College Foundation's Visionary Scholarship Program will consist of:
- A completed American College Foundation Visionary Scholarship Application
- A copy of the student's most recent unofficial high school transcript
- A 500-word, typed, double-spaced essay on "Why College is Important to Me"
All components of the application must be received completely at the time of submission for a student to be eligible for an award. Partial and/or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted and the applicant will NOT be notified. Applications are judged on the ability to follow guidelines (25%), grammar and punctuation (25%), and the merit of the written essay (50%).
The Knights of AK-SAR-Ben Community College Scholarship
The Knights of AK-SAR-BEN Community College Scholarship Program offers a one time $1000 scholarship for Nebraska and western Iowa community college students dedicated to building leadership potential, achieving academic success and demonstrating financial need. Students must complete this form , write a 500 word essay, submit 2 letters of reference, and submit an official high school transcript. Deadline to submit all application materials is April 1st. Please click on "this form" above for the application and more information or see the counseling center.
Lincoln Builders Bureau Scholarship Program
The Lincoln Builders Bureau Scholarship Program offers member company employees and their dependents $750 college scholarships. Applicants must be an employ of a Lincoln Builders Bureau member company, or the dependent of an employee. Applicants must be enrolled, or planning to enroll as an undergraduate in the upcoming year of an accredited college, university, or trade school with a focus on construction science. For company eligibility, go to www.buildersbureau.com, click on Scholarships and Membership Search to verify. Applications are also available in the counseling center. Awards will be based primarily on academic performance, work experience, school involvement, community involvement and career goals. Submit applications to: Lincoln Builders Bureau, 5910 S 58th St., Suite C, Lincoln, NE 68516 or fax to (402) 421-8334. Deadline to apply is April 1st.
The Nebraska Agri-Women
The Nebraska Agri-Women is offering a $250 scholarship to any student planning on receiving an Agricultural related degree from either a College or a Technical Trade School in Nebraska. Applications are available in the counseling center or by clicking on "Applications". Deadline to apply is April 1st.
Nebraska School Counselor Association Scholarship
Senior students attending a public or private-secondary school in Nebraska can apply for 3 $500 scholarships from the Nebraska School Counselor Association Scholarship. Students must attend a post-secondary institution during the 2015-2016 school year. To apply students must write an essay limited to 500 words that describes how your school counselor has assisted you to plan/decide/resolve/grow in an area of your life. More specific guidelines are explained on theapplication form (also available in the counseling center). Deadline is April 1st.
CHS High School Scholarship Program
CHS High School Scholarship Program invites graduating high school seniors pursuing a degree in an agricultural-related field at any college or university throughout the United States and Canada to apply for one of 100 $1,000 scholarships. Click here for more information about CHS
- Must be a high school senior, graduating in the spring and attending college in fall 2015.
- Must plan to pursue an agricultural degree at a college or university within the United States or Canada.
- Students pursuing a STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) field of study with an interest in agriculture will be considered.
- Must be a legal citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
- Click here to apply for a 2015/2016 scholarship.
- Applications for the 2015/2016 academic year will be available from January 1, 2015 to April 1, 2015.
- All applications must be submitted by April 1, 2015.
- Scholarship awards will be announced mid-May, 2015.
Johnny Baxter Carriage House Foundation
The Johnny Baxter Carriage House Foundation is pleased to announce the continuation of its scholarship program for students interested in attending one of Nebraska's Community Colleges to study in an automotive related field. A $1,000 grant will be awarded in each of the six Community College areas in Nebraska. Students who meet the following criteria may submit their application (in counseling center or click on "application" in blue):
- All seniors planning to attend a Nebraska Community College in the fall of 2015
- Applicant must be planning to enroll in one of the automotive related courses of study.
- Applicant must submit a letter of recommendation from at least one teacher describing the applicant's aptitude and attitude and student must include a transcript of his/her grades.
- Applicant must submit a cover letter to be attached to the applicant form indicating his/her interest in the automotive field and their plan for technical training.
- An interview and reference letter from a New Car Dealer would be given additional consideration.
- applicant must meet the above criteria and submit his/her application to the Carriage House Foundation no later than Friday, April 3, 2015