Wolf Call Weekly
Welcome to this week!
Need an audio/video version? Click HERE.
HELLO WOLF PACK STUDENTS AND FAMILIES,
We hope that you have been able to connect with your quarter 3 teachers and are engaged with them.
If you have a questions about your Quarter 3 classes, contact your teacher via email or during their scheduled availability.
In an effort to continue improving communication to our families and community of West Hills High School, please take a moment to review the weekly, informative messages below.
Are you looking for previous editions of the Wolf Call Weekly? The West Hills website has them as a resource. (Info, Wolf Call Weekly)
We encourage your participation as an active reader of these communications that will help bridge our communication between WHHS and Students & Families. Thank you for your continued support for all students at West Hills!
Robin Ballarin, Principal
Apri Baker, Assistant Principal (A-G)
Carrie Gaeir, Assistant Principal (H-O)
John Hoadley, Assistant Principal (P-Z)
Cyndi Nowlen, Manager of School Facilities
Level 3 Update
Hello Wolf Pack Families,
This past week, we started Level 3. We appreciate your patience with our move to Level 3!
A few things to note this week:
- **Groups B & D ON CAMPUS Monday and Wednesday.
- **Groups A & C ON CAMPUS Tuesday and Thursday,
- Friday is a Teacher workday with NO STUDENTS ON CAMPUS
- **We are asking students to attend both days of this week. If that is not possible for some reason, please call in to attendance (once we begin this schedule) and let Ms. Devore know. The attendance 24 hour line is 619-956-0434 to report on campus absences. Students in distance learning only continue to communicate with their teacher regarding any absences /inability to work online.
- **If you are distance learning only currently and you want to return to on campus attendance for quarter 4, please contact your counselor.
**Questions about this move to Level 3? Please contact our Admin office at 619-956-0400 or email any Administrator.
Schedule for the week
March 8 & 10: Groups B&D ON CAMPUS Monday & Wednesday
March 9 & 11: Groups A&C ON CAMPUS Tuesday &Thursday
March 12: NO STUDENTS ON CAMPUS, TEACHER WORKDAY
Student Tutorial Schedule for Q. 3
Please consider doing so if you are struggling or need help with your last week of quarter 3.
Reach out to your Teachers, Guidance Counselor, or Assistant Principal for extra help and/or ideas if you need them!
Please click HERE for our tutorial schedule. All students (including blended and distance learners) are encouraged to attend any sessions that we offer tutorial services for!
Be well Wolf Pack!
Important Dates March/April 2021
- March 8th: Groups B&D on campus (see calendar above/below)
- March 12th- End of Quarter 3
- March 15th - Thursday March 25th -Campus closed for Spring Break
- Friday March 26th- Quarter 4 begins
- Monday March 29th: Groups B&D on campus (see calendar below)
- Friday April 2: No School
March is National Women´s History Month
This month we honor and celebrate National Women's History Month! Women’s History Month is a celebration of women’s contributions to history, culture and society and has been observed annually in the month of March in the United States since 1987. Women’s History Month 2021 will take place from Monday, March 1-Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
To read more about National Women's History Month, click HERE.
"Teacher of the Year"
We are very proud to announce Mrs. Jokerst as our West Hills "Teacher of the Year"!
Mrs. Jokerst teachers mathematics and PLTW Aerospace Engineering. (See her teaching below and our students amazing work below in the "A Peek Into the Classroom Section) Mrs. Jokerst has many years in the classroom and is a mathematics leader within the GUHSD and a key link with our college and university articulation partners. Mrs. Jokerst has a great heart for students, teaching and learning! She will go on to represent us at the District and into the San Diego
County "Teacher of the Year" program.
Kudos Mrs. Jokerst!
Attention Class of 2024!
Hurry and get your order in NOW to guarantee your size AND the pre-sale price of $15.
Price of the T-Shirt will rise to $20 if order is submitted after March 11th!
Please see the important video announcement from the Class of 2024 Class Advisor, Ms. Haskin!! Thank you Ms. Haskin for this brief message!
Please take a look at our Athletics website for the newest information
Also, please review the memo below that was sent to all Students and Parents on 3/4/21 via Infinite Campus.
Please contact Assist. Principal of Athletics April Baker or Athletic Director Lucas Hondros with questions.
Hello Wolf Pack Soccer athletes and families!
We are so excited to host the first Wolf Pack soccer meet this Saturday! We know you all have been anxiously waiting for this day to arrive. As you can imagine, there are a lot of safety protocols that we need to follow. We kindly ask that you review and follow these protocols in preparation for Saturday and all future events.
- Only immediate household members of players may attend. We ask that you please keep this group to 4 or less.
- Children must be with an adult household member to attend.
- Please sit as an "immediate household members" cohort.
- Each cohort must be at least 6 feet away from other cohorts in the stands.
- Masks must be worn at all times.
We appreciate your support!
West Hills Administration
🏀 Freshmen and Sophomores: Don’t miss tryouts! Get cleared & get to the GYM 🐺
STUDENT HANDBOOK FEATURE- Fan Code of Conduct
Students and Parents/Guardians:
The faculty and staff are proud to partner with you in the education of your student. Educational success for all students cannot be complete without an effective partnership with all parents/guardians. You are the most essential part of your children’s education, and it is important that we build a strong relationship in order to best serve your student’s educational needs.
With the return of athletics, we strongly encourage you to review the Fan Code of Conduct in the 2020-21 Student Handbook on page 25.
This week we highlight the WHHS Fan Code of Conduct.
As a parent of a student/athlete representing West Hills High School and the Grossmont Union High School District, it is expected that you model behavior conducive to good sportsmanship, and demonstrate behavior that will not embarrass the school, your child, or yourself. By agreeing to allow your student to participate in athletics, you agree to abide by these standards of behavior set forth by the district and West Hills High School.
For more information, please see page 25 of the student handbook.
Questions, please contact your assigned Assistant Principal.
Need a work permit during Spring Break?
As we wrap up the 3rd quarter and are getting ready for a well-deserved Spring Break, here are a few reminders for Work Permits:
- The work permit process is the same and all labor laws must be followed, no exceptions for the break!
- If you need a work permit to work during Spring Break, plan to have any paperwork to West Hills no later than Thursday, March 11 to be able to process it and have it ready for pick up by Friday March 12.
- Staff will NOT will be available to process work permits during the Spring Break (including the district office)
- Please get your work permit applications turned in early so we can process them before the break.
- Click HERE for more information about obtaining a work permit
Mental Health Resources
- crisis/access lines,
- phone apps designed to support mental health,
- some wellness tips from our Youth Advisors.
Also, please see our upcoming parent forum! More info below..
Last week for Inkwell Literary-Art Magazine submissions!
Inkwell is WHHS's annually published Literary-Art magazine and any Wolf Pack student may submit work for consideration using the form at bit.ly/submitinkwell2021 -
Want to learn more about Inkwell?
Summer School Update
West Hills plans to offer two sessions of Summer School this year! Students who have failed (F) a course that is needed for graduation will have priority.
The tentative dates are: Session 1 - June 14-July 2 and Session 2 - July 6 - July 23.
Our goal is to have as many Summer School courses in-person/on campus as possible but will have some online options for those who are continuing in distance learning.
Thank you and GO WOLF PACK
Advisory Lesson on Cyber Safety
Equity Committee Meeting
Last week our committee meet and discussed many different items!
Our sub-committees were the idea of students in our committee at large and are student lead! We welcome all who want to work on our racial, gender, religious and cultural equity issues within our community.
You may read the notes from our latest meeting here.
WHHS Legacy Bricks for Sale!
West Hills High School PTSA is offering custom laser-engraved brick pavers that will forever line the walk-path outside of our athletic stadium. Personalize your brick with a family name, student name, company name, or in memory of a cherished loved one. Custom-engraved pavers also make a great gift for a respected faculty member or West Hills Alumni.
Click HERE for more info!
Is your student returning to WHHS next year?
Please click HERE for more information!
Questions? Please contact Assistant Principal's Secretary Mrs. Lenhoff at 619.956.0425 or email@example.com.
COVID Reporting Information
Hello Wolf Pack students and families,
Thank YOU for being so responsible, respectful and honorable in staying home if you are ill. We are truly grateful to all in our school community who have emailed, called or let us know of a student's positive circumstance and in keeping them home to fully recover. While we do get notification from the Public Health Department, YOU find out before we do and this makes all the difference on campus!
If you have any signs or symptoms of covid, or if you have had close contact (live in the same household) with someone who has tested positive:
- Please stay home.
- Email our nurse Lori Farra at Lfarra@guhsd.net or call her at 619-956-0471.
- Please include the last date your student was on campus (if they were).
- You can also email teachers (although for student privacy, you do not need to disclose why the student might not be turning in work right away or on campus for 10 days).
As a reminder, everyone coming onto campus is required to wear a mask, get their temperature taken, keep 6 ft. social distance, and wash hands frequently.
Thank you for helping us to keep our school community safe.
Go Wolf Pack!
A Friendly Reminder...
- to WEAR FACE MASKS at all times while on campus: This is NOT optional.
- if you are wearing a clear face shield, you MUST WEAR A FACE MASK in addition to the face shield.
Neck and Face Gaiters Reminder
- Also, The CDC has updated their website and our District has asked us to make sure we are not allowing neck and face gaiters on campus any longer.
- Please see the CDC page here for more information.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation!
Connect with WHHS
Mending Matters: @mendingmatters
WHHS Distance Learning Hub: https://sites.google.com/guhsd.net/whhs-hub/home