Academy of St. Benedict the African
December 4, 2022
Week of December 4, 2022
The video above has highlights of this week's bulletin.
We had a great week on our return from Thanksgiving. There was much joy in seeing friends! We welcomed Mr. E. Brown as our new librarian. He is here two days a week and fits right in! As a school community, we focus on building a culture of reading. The library is such an integral part of that!
This week, our Praise Power Choir for grades K-3 starts practicing with Ms. Elizabeth. They will sing at our liturgy on 12/15.
Picture Retake day is Tuesday. Those retaking may be out of uniform but do need to have gym shoes for after pictures. The code and information are on Bloomz, and flyers were sent. If you have a question, please call the office. Be sure your child's teacher knows that your child is retaking pictures.
Our Student Leadership Council will meet on Wednesday at noon to finalize plans for Catholic Schools Week.
This Thursday is a Kind Shirt and Kind Action Day. All should wear a St. Benedict kind shirt and focus on kind actions.
This Friday is an optional full dress-down day for all students as we raise money to help an animal shelter as part of service learning. The participation cost is $5, and all proceeds will go to charity.
Mondays: Chess Club - Grades 3-8
Tuesdays: Fight Like a Girl - Grades 4-8 girls only - full
Tuesdays: STEM Science - Grades 5 & 6
Tuesdays: Basketball - Grades 5-8 $40 a player/physicals needed.
Wednesdays: Dance - extended day students only
Our basketball teams have games on Saturday. Grade 7/8 team plays at 1:30, and then Grade 5/6 plays at 2:40. All games are at The Ark - St. Sabina.
There are two days this month that there will be no after-school extended day - December 13th and December 21st. Please plan accordingly. Additionally, extended day closes at 6 pm daily. Late fees will be charged for anyone picking up late. Please be courteous to our staff and be on time. If late, a call to the school should be made. Dial the main number and enter 101 once the voicemail message starts to play.
The Christmas Program is December 21st at 9 AM in our gym. This is the last day of school before Christmas. There is no after-school care on the 21st. Thank you to all who signed up to donate goodies for the program and to those who volunteered their time to set up and break down!
We are raffling off two sets of four front-row seats to the Christmas Program! The cost to be entered into the raffle is $10. We will choose the winner live on our FB page on December 20th. If you'd like to enter the raffle, bring in or send in $10 (cash only).
Please review your family's FACTS account or call the business office (x102 or X103) for clarity. If you have a past-due balance, let's make a plan!
Featured Families: Would you like to be a St. Benedict the African Featured Friday Family? Complete this form! We love spotlighting our families and will even offer 1 PAW for participating!
Please continue to be courteous and kind at drop-off and pick-up. A few extra minutes won't hurt, and our children's safety is at stake.
All scholars enter the school at door 1. For extended-day families, pick-up is from door 2 after 3:30.
Thank you for choosing the Academy of St. Benedict the African for your family. Let's make this a great week of learning!
773-776-3316, enter 101 at the voicemail message if needed.
Preschoolers Make Juice
Second Grade Readers!
This is required, not suggested. Those failing to follow the stated uniform will be given the proper items to wear.
Please help us build our community by having your child/ren wear the proper clothing daily.
- Navy blue slacks, skort, or jumper
- Light blue polo shirt with the school logo or name
- gym shoes with white, black, or blue socks or tights - no leggings
- School hoodie, gym sweatshirt, or plain (no brand logos) navy blue sweater
Gym or Dance day:
- Gym uniform
- Light blue school t-shirt with either logo or tiger
- Black sweatpants with the school logo (plain black (no brand logos showing) sweatpants will work)
- School hoodie or gym sweatshirt
Only plain navy sweaters, any school hoodies, or school gym sweatshirts may be worn during the day over the polo.
The gym uniform must be purchased at Martinellis 3517 W. 95th, Evergreen Park.
The school has the polo ($15) and the school hoodie ($20 cash/$23 card). We have a limited supply of extra Kind shirts available for $5. Cash only, please, for those shirts. Please label all hoodies and sweatshirts.
Also, the children will be asked to remove their jewelry if wearing any. It's a distraction, against our dress code, and creates safety concerns. All boys should remove their earrings before coming to school. Our dress code regarding jewelry and nail polish aligns with all other Catholic Schools in our council.
In choosing our school, you agree to follow the uniform policy.
The calendar is always accessible on our website and our mobile app.
2022-2023 School Calendar
Save the Dates!
We recommend that all families apply to both Big Shoulders and Empower Illinois.
Big Shoulders SGO's application date is January 12th at 8 AM. Be on the site bigshouldersfundsgo.org at 7:45.
Empower Illinois' application date is January 18th at 6:30 PM. At 6:30, you can enter some necessary information, and at 7 hit apply.
Over 130 of our scholars have Tax Credit Scholarships this year. It's a great program for families and for the school.
Tuition Payments & Action for Children
It's essential that payments are made as scheduled so that the school can meet its obligations.
Please contact me or Ms. Fernandez, our business manager, if you have concerns.
Family Handbook - Addendums have been added
School & Office Hours
Arrival for breakfast 7:15 AM - 7:35 AM
Classes Begin: 7:45 AM (Children not in their seats at 7:45 are marked tardy)
School Ends at 2:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. 2:00 PM on Wednesdays
Extended Day: 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM - to reach extended day, call the school and enter 101 at the recording. The late pickup fee is $ 3 per minute per child. Please don't be late.
Office Hours - Every Day - 6:30 - 3:30 and by appointment
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- December 8th - Kind Shirt and Kind Action Day
- December 9th - Support the Animal Shelter $5/ for a full dress-down day! (cash only)
- December 12th - Kind Shirt Day
- December 13th - NO EXTENDED DAY, no clubs- ALL Staff Meeting
- December 15th - All School Christmas Liturgy - All are welcome 9 AM.
- December 16th - Spirit Day - -Wear Spirit wear with Jeans or Joggers and gym shoes.
- December 21st - Christmas Program- 9 AM Last day of school before Christmas break. NO after-school extended day.
- December 22nd - January 3rd - Christmas Break
- January 4th - All return to school
- January 6th - Spirit Day - Wear your Spirit wear with Jeans or Joggers and gym shoes.
- January 12th - Big Shoulders Fund Tax Credit Application Day - 7:30 AM Sharp Details coming.
- January 13th - Kind Shirt Day
- January 16th - Dr. King's Birthday - no school
- January 18th - Empower Illinois Application Reservation Day 6:30 PM for 7:00 PM submission. More details are coming.
- January 20th - Spirit Day - Wear your Spirit wear with Jeans or Joggers and gym shoes.