Hawkeye View Newsletter
No School on Friday, Oct. 11 and Monday, Oct. 14
WHEN: Saturday, November 2, 2019 from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
WHERE: Mill Creek Middle School - 8001 Mize Road, Lenexa, Kansas
USD 232 Parents as Teachers is hosting a KidDo Fair full of early childhood & preschool resources. This event is for ALL families with children birth to age 5 with close to 40 vendors. These vendors include health care, mental health, child care licensing, daycares, preschools, activities for children, safety and car seat safety, dance classes, libraries and more!
Children are encouraged to attend, as there will be door prizes, face painting and other fun activities. Free vision and hearing screenings will also be available.
Thank you for another successful Book Fair!
A big thank you to all the parents, students, and staff who supported our school library by purchasing items at our Scholastic Book Fair during Parent Teacher Conferences! We exceeded our goal with a grand total $9800 in sales, which translates to 1048 books sold - our best book fair yet! Mize received $1500 in cash and $1900 in Scholastic dollars from the sales! A significant amount of the funds will be used to buy new books for our school library. A very special thanks to all of the hard working volunteers who offered their time to help out! We couldn’t have done it without you!
Book Fair Raffle Winners:
- $15 FREE Book Fair Books & a stuffed Narwhal: Brieann Wheat (Miss Foos’s Class)
- $15 FREE Book Fair Books & a LEGO City Arctic Crawler: Carter McCord (Mrs. Ledgerwood’s Class)
- FREE Admission for Penguin Pole-ooza at the KC Zoo on Friday, October 11th or Friday, December 13th: Kody Bell (Mrs. Cox’s Class)
“Snowed In” Pack, includes the movie Small Foot and a STEM Instant Snow Kit: Lily Wollum (Mrs. Bunch's Class)
National School Lunch Week..10/14-10/18
The week of October 14th – 18th is National School Lunch Week!
To celebrate we will have Eat Your Colors Week.
The National School Lunch Program serves more than 30 million students every school day across our nation. President John F. Kennedy created National School Lunch Week in 1962 to promote the importance of a healthy school lunch in a child’s life and the impact it has inside and outside of the classroom. To celebrate, we will have “Eat Your Colors” Week in the lunchroom! Each day has an assigned color that will be featured through various food items. Please have your student(s) help us celebrate by dressing in the color of the day!
Monday, October 14th – No School
Tuesday, October 15th – Red Day
Wednesday, October 16th – Yellow Day
Thursday, October 17th – Orange Day
Friday, October 18th – Rainbow Day
It will be a fun-filled, colorful week!
The DeSoto District approved the addition of a second full-time nurse at Mize Elementary in late August 2019 to meet the growing medical needs of our student population. On September 9th, 2019 Erica Keesling BSN, RN, joined the nursing staff at Mize. Nurse Erica has a background in intensive care nursing and lots of parenting skills. She is the mama of two of our Mize students and a familiar face to many. Nurse Brandi Heitmann and Nurse Erica will be splitting the second full-time position and Nurse Christina Brandenburg will continue to work full-time. We are so excited to have her on our team!
Seasonal Illness & Flu Season:
Did you know that influenza is a respiratory infection and not the stomach bug that makes you vomit? We get the influenza vaccination to protect ourselves and those with compromised immune systems from the life threating respiratory illness influenza causes. With that, the CDC is predicting another brutal and unpredictable flu season, and is recommending early vaccination for the 2019-2020 flu season.
The DeSoto District follows the Johnson County Health Departments recommendations when sending students home from school or excluding them from class due to illness.
To prevent the spread of illness we recommend the fallowing;
· Frequent handwashing
· Sneezing & Coughing into tissue or your sleeve
· Staying home for 24-hours, symptom free, without the use of medications for;
· Influenza, students & Staff formally diagnosed with influenza, by a doctor, will be exclude from school for 7-days following the onset of symptoms or duration of illness for those with compromised immune systems.
Christina Brandenburg MBA, BSN, RN
Mize Elementary- Nurse
913-441-0800 (Phone) 913-441-9452 (fax)
Fall Party--> Oct. 31
The Fall Parade and Classroom Parties are scheduled for Thursday, October 31st. The parade begins at 2:45 pm with parties starting at the conclusion of the parade (around 3:00).
This year, we will be parading outside in the bus loop, weather permitting. If the weather doesn’t cooperate, we will use the gym for our annual parade. Kindergarten through 5th grade are invited to bring their costumes to school and change right before the parade. As a courtesy to others, please follow the guidelines listed below.
1. Students may not wear their costumes to school, but they may bring them and change before the parade. Students should be able to change with little or no assistance.
2. Costumes should not contain blood or violent depictions of any kind.
3. Costume weapons (swords, knives, lasers, etc.) are not permitted at school.
4. Spray hair color and hair spray may not be used at school due to student allergies and
5. Due to district guidelines, younger siblings are not allowed at school parties. Please arrange for childcare for younger children.
6. Please consult the district’s Fun Fit Food Guidelines and your
child’s classroom teacher when sending in food for the party.
7. HAVE FUN!!!
First Student Busing
Walk-n-Roll athon News
The PTO is super excited to report that fundraising efforts are in full force! Don’t forget, for a second year we are able to keep 100% of funds raised at Mize!
1) Return your Walk-n-Roll-athon envelope by Oct 10th & receive a Charms Blow POP
2) Distribution of individual & classroom prizes during CELEBRATION week beginning
3) Come CELEBRATE every Mize student on Friday, October 18th at our second annual Mize Walk-n-Roll-athon!!! Grade level schedule is printed on pledge envelope sheet.
Individual prize levels were detailed on the sheet that accompanied each student’s fundraising pledge envelope.
What are the classroom prizes that can be earned by having the highest $$$ amount in donations?
Top Overall Classroom (K-5) of our
school GETs a Sweet Reward Party
including Cupcakes and Juice!
Top Grade Level Classroom GETs a Popcorn Party!
So how are things shaping up? Don’t worry, things have probably changed already. Leader board was submitted 10/3 and today is 10/7. An update will be sent out later this week, and students will be updated throughout the week during announcements
****Classroom Leader Board****
1st place 3rd grade Bunch
2nd place 2nd grade Quintero
3rd place 4th grade Reilly
Box Tops are going digital! Check out how you can clip and scan your way to earning money to support Mize elementary.
The first collection day for Box Tops will be October 30th. Please make sure each clip has a valid expiration date. There will be one class winner for each grade level. Happy clipping and scanning! Thank you for all you do to support Mize Elementary.