The Dangers of Phishing
Don't fall for the trap!
Phishing is very dangerous if you fall for the trap.
Phishing: The activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial information by posing as a legitimate company.
It is very easy for someone to phish your information, but with a careful eye and a knowledge of what to look for, you can easily tell if an email is trying to phish your information.
If the displayed link on your screen is different when you hover over it, someone is trying to phish your information! Don't click the link!
If you see obvious word misspellings in the email that shouldn't be there, someone is trying to phish your information!
Dear Valued Customer
If they address you not with your real name, someone is trying to phish your information! Most big companies will address you with your real name, so saying Dear Valued Customer, or Dear Customer, it's a fake!
All the things to look out for!
1. Not addressing you with your real name.
2. Obvious misspelled words.
3. Different links.
4. Asking for personal information.
5. The offer seems to good to be true.
6. You didn't initiate the action. e.g. YOU WON THE LOTTERY!! (You never bought a ticket...)
7. Message makes unrealistic threats.
8. Message appears from a government agency.