Wolf Hill Weekly News! Edition #2
September 16th, 2022
We have completed our first full week of school for the 2022-2023 school year! Here are some reminders from the first week and things to remember as we continue through the school year. Students are being asked to purchase their lunch first before returning to the lunch line to buy snacks. If you do not want your child to buy snacks such as ice cream, chips, etc. please let the classroom teacher know so that we can communicate that to the cafeteria staff. All the snacks are extra and cost more money than the $3.50 for lunch. Please make sure your child knows their 4 digit pin or place the pin somewhere where an adult can easily find it and help them. Our lunch monitors have a master list if needed, but knowing their pin will help to speed up the buying process.
I have received reports of some behaviors on the school bus that are in violation of our Code of Conduct. Please remind your children that foul language, getting out of their seat while the bus is moving, taking other students items, screaming while the bus driver is trying to drive, etc. are all unsafe behaviors. Behaviors like this could result in a bus write up and a potential removal from the bus. Our drivers need to be able to concentrate on the road and that requires the help and cooperation from all of our students. Please help us maintain a safe environment for all of our students on the buses.
Lastly, you will see a Spirit Week schedule attached for "Start with Hello Week." Wolf Hill will be participating in "Start with Hello" Week beginning next week. Each year, thousands of schools and youth organizations nationwide participate in Start With Hello Week, a national call-to-action week dedicated to making new social connections and creating a sense of belonging among youth. The goal of this program which is organized by the Sandy Hook Promise organization is to create a culture of kindness and belonging for all of our students.
Have a great week and thank you for your partnership in helping us to maintain the wonderful school community we have!
START WITH HELLO WEEK
Start With “Hello” Spirit Week
Wear mismatched socks and shoes and play with someone new at recess.
Say “Hello” Day!
Students and staff will wear name tags and try to say “hello” to at least 3 new people.
Kindness is a chain reaction!
Students will write or draw something kind they plan to do this week on a paper chain link in class. The chains will be linked together and displayed around the school.
Be The Rainbow!
Each grade level will wear a different color. As a school, we will be the rainbow in someone else’s cloud.
Pre-K- Purple, K- Orange, 1st- Blue, 2nd- Yellow, 3rd- Green, 4th- Red
Feel Good Friday!
Wear something that makes you feel good about yourself.
Back to School Night
- The event will begin at 6pm in the Wolf Hill Gymnasium.
- There will be a presentation from Mr. Maglione from 6pm to 6:30pm.
- Parents will then be dismissed to their child's classroom.
- There will be two twenty minute information sessions.
- Session One will run from 6:45pm-7:05pm.
- Session Two will run from 7:15pm-7:35pm.
- Mrs. Goldsmith will be doing a presentation on Gifted and Talented at 7:40pm in the Wolf Hill gymnasium!
We are looking forward to seeing you all!!
START STRONG REMINDERS FOR GRADE 4
Start Strong Assessments
Next week, students in Grade 4 will be administered the Start Strong Assessments as a required part of the overall Statewide assessment system. This assessment will assist in identifying the most appropriate level of support students need in English language arts and mathematics, based on priority New Jersey Student Learning Standards from the prior academic year.
The Start Strong Assessments:
Are based on a subset of prioritized prior-year academic standards;
Can be administered in approximately 45-60 minutes per content area;
Will provide immediate results to educators through the assessment platform; and
Will include the same accessibility features and accommodations as the New Jersey Student Learning Assessments (NJSLA)
The schedule will be as follows:
September 21: Grade 4 English language arts
September 22: Grade 4 Mathematics
No special preparation is required for Start Strong, however please encourage your child to answer all the items and give their best effort. We also recommend that your child have a good night’s sleep, have a healthy breakfast, and arrive at school on time on testing days.
Reminders for Testing
Please be sure all phones/smartwatches are left at home or left in student lockers/backpacks as they are not permitted in the testing rooms.
Bring a pair of headphones (no bluetooth/wireless) to school, if needed.
The results of this assessment will be mailed to parents/guardians when they are made available from the NJDOE. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Mrs. Martinez, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, at (732) 542-0683 X2210 or by email at email@example.com.
KONA ICE TRUCK!
2) Pencil grams will be sold at Back to School Night for $1 a piece (cash only) at Wolf Hill. Please look out for the PTO table that night! Parents can write their children a brief message on the pencil gram and leave it at their desks for them to see the following day.
3) Fall Social will be held at Branches on Friday, 9/30 at 7pm. Please get your tickets online or send in payment via check. For more info, visit www.oceanportpto.com.
1) Wolf Hill Picture Day will be September 21st!
2) Start Strong Assessment for Grade 4 on September 21st!
3) There is a Board of Education Meeting on September 21st at 6pm.
4) September 22nd is a 4 hour session for ALL DISTRICT students and it is Wolf Hill School's Back to School Night event!
5) School is closed on Monday, September 26th