Mrs. Reeg's Math Class News
Week of November 30, 2015
This Week In Math:
This week we continued to practice how to add mixed numbers with unlike denominators. We learned how to subtract mixed numbers with and without borrowing. Below I included videos from Khan Academy on subtracting mixed numbers with unlike denominators with and without borrowing. Next week we will learn how to change a fraction to decimal and practice solving story problems that involve mixed numbers. The ch. 3 test will take place next Friday, December 11th.
Khan Academy video on subtracting mixed numbers without borrowing
Khan Academy video on subtracting mixed numbers with borrowing
Friendly reminders and upcoming events
- PTA needs volunteers for this years Holiday Shop for our students. RSVP by December 7th if you can help.
- Juggling club is Monday, December 7th at 3:30pm
- Marco's pizza night is Tuesday, December 8th
- 5th/6th grade Orchestra concert is Wednesday, December 9th at 7pm at the Fine Arts Center.
- Family Ceramic Night at Sterling Morton Friday, December 11th at 6pm. RSVP by Monday, December 7th
- Breakfast with Santa! Hosted by PTA on Saturday, December 12th from 10am-12pm at Pickle Bills. Cost is $6. RSVP by Friday, Dec. 11th to reserve your spot. Checks can be made out to Sterling Morton PTA.
- Art club - group 2 is Monday, December 14th at 3:30pm
- Holiday Shop - Mrs. Reeg's class will shop Tuesday, December 15th at 12pm
- Intramurals is Thursday, December 17th at 3:30pm
- PTA meeting is Thursday, December 17th at 7pm
- Juggling Club is Monday, December 21st at 3:30pm
- Tuesday, December 22nd is the classroom Holiday party
- Don't forget to purchase your child's yearbook. Sale is going on now.
Season of Giving
Student council is gathering new socks, gloves and gently used clothing for children and adults to donate to Hope Chest in Painesville. Hope Chest is a store you can shop at for free if you are in need. Please contact our school for a voucher. The clothing collection ends December 11th.
Front Row - Math and Reading Intervention
We are excited to announce that we are trying out a website call Front Row. It is a personalized math and reading comprehension practice that our students will love. The program addresses student weaknesses and building off strengths, Front Row is designed to increase confidence and promote growth in ALL students regardless of their ability level. Each domain in Front Row starts with a diagnostic that determines the students' level. The test adapts in real-time to create an accurate assessment of what students already know. Here is how to get the students started:
Have the student log in to their accounts at student.frontrowed.com using their first and last name and class code.
Mr. L's homeroom: jkf4y3
Mrs. Reeg's homeroom: 4vp2ks
Miss Harden's homeroom: 96cbyh
Sample Test Items and Practice Tests from Ohio Department of Education
The Ohio Department of Education released some sample test items for math and reading. Both sample items and practice tests allow students to view and answer test questions that are like those that could appear on state tests. The site features half-length practice tests for science and social studies. Because the English language arts and math tests are new, there are a smaller number of sample test items available until the item development process is completed and practice tests can be released. I have embedded the link below for students to access at anytime. Here is the procedure for logging in:
Log into the Student Practice Site
- Login here. (“Guest Session” will appear; you need not enter information here.)
- Select “sign in.”
- Select a grade level, then click on “yes.”
- Select a specific test or sample item.