Raureka School Term 2 Week 6
Newsletter 9 June 2021
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
I hope everyone enjoyed their Long weekend and came back to school refreshed and ready for another great week.
Last week our children received their Government Duffy Book, hopefully they enjoyed them.
Congratulations to everyone who took part in last weeks Samoan Language week, our Pasifica performance group did exceptionally well at the Council and our Pasifica group performed extremely well at Fridays assembly. Congratulations to all of the children and a huge congratulations to Mr Filipo and his sister Caroline for preparing the children for this.
Breakfast Club: We have breakfast provided on Tuesday's and Thursday's in the hall from just after 8:00 until 8:30. This is Kick Start breakfast programme provided by Fonterra and Sanitarium. Children are welcome to come in and be part of the programme.
Junior trip to Pakowhai: The junior team are visiting Pakowhai tomorrow Thursday, 10th June, as part of their Inquiry learning. Let's hope the weather improves.
On Friday 11th June we have our annual School Disco- it will be fun with the Juniors starting at 6:00 and finishing at 7:00 and the Seniors from 7:15 until 8:30. It will be $3:00 entry with drinks and chocolates on sale as well. Thanks to the RSS for organising it.
Three way conferences: School Closes on Monday 5th July at 12:30
These will be held on Monday 5th July from 1:00 and then Tuesday 6th July from 3:15.
School will close at 12:30 on Monday 5th so that conferences can start at 1:00. The YMCA will be open to take children but they will need to be booked in. Please contact them to book in.
To make a booking for the conference:
Enter the code 3qtz9 and then follow the instructions for booking your child/ren. This will be open today. Bookings will need to be made individually for each child.
If you have difficulty booking in please contact your teacher/office and we will make a booking for you.
The interview will be a time for your child to share some of the things that they are doing and then for you and the teacher to go over the progress that is being made by your child.
Please note that Mrs Hanson, from Room 8, will be away from Tuesday 6th July and so her interviews will need to be on Monday 5th of July. She will also have interviews on Tuesday 29th June and Thursday 1st July from 3:15 until 4:30 p.m. Mrs Hanson will be sending out a note to the class so parents can book a time to go over the children's progress. Please make your bookings as soon as you can. Booking with Mrs Hanson's extra days will have to be done with her so send back a request for the time you want and she will let you know what time you have.
Mrs Hanson will be away for at least four weeks into Term 2. Mrs Williams will take over the running of the class in her absence.
Good luck to our Barefoot 7 rugby teams who start playing tonight. Play well and be the best that you can be.
Headlice (nits, kutu) are making themselves at home in some classes. Could all parents please check their child's hair thoroughly. If you find nits, please treat your child. We do have some free treatment available from the school office.
Please remember that classes start at 8:55 a.m. each day and all children should be at school, unless they are sick, ready to start then. When the children arrive on time they do not miss out on valuable learning time and they feel as though they haven't missed anything. Keep in mind too that when children arrive late it can be hard on their classmates as after an interruption - some children struggle to refocus on the lesson.
Matariki: Please note this is now on Thursday 1July at 5:00- more info will come out shortly about this event.
Hockey this week: Raureka Kowhai play Poukawa Pavlova's at 10:20 on 1D. Raureka Tui's play Sherenden Strikers at 8:40 on 1C. Please arrive at least 10 minutes before the start of the game.
Junior Hockey – Winter cancellations
In the unlikely event of cancelling Saturday morning hockey for Funsticks, Mini Sticks and Small Sticks we would be posting to Facebook at 7.30am on the Saturday morning. Hockey is played rain or shine and would only be cancelled if there were flooding or cold chill factors.
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Relationships/Whanaungatanga - which means, interacting in a caring, respectful way to develop positive connections.
Expected behaviour for this week: be a team player.
Our value for Week 5 was ...
The following children received awards:
R1 Rylee-Mei Barnett, R2 Cooper Corbett, R4 Rohan Polon, R5 Aaliyah Waiwiri, R7 Zylis Mahia, R8 Kyron Davies, R11 Haygen Brown, R12 Declan Newton-Slade, R13 Teina Paikea ,
R14 Axil Allen, R15 , R19 Hannah Devlin, R20 ,
R21 Sophie Takiwa, ESOL Christina Tunufai.
Our Pasifica Group Performing at School on Friday
Raureka Kowhai played NO GAME DUE TO QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY
Players of the day were
Raureka Tuis played NO GAME DUE TO QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY
Player of the day was
Raureka Force played NO GAME DUE TO QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY
Player of the day was
Raureka Magic played NO GAME DUE TO QUEEN'S BIRTHDAY
Player of the day was
Hello Room 20 - what have you got to share with us this week?
We had lots of fun taking photos and using our imaginations to describe what they look like.
- Thurs June 10- Junior Trip to Pakowhai Park
- Fri June 11- Disco
- Mon June 14 - 1:30 Duffy Theatre
- Mon June 14 - Thurs 17- Keeping Ourselves Safe
- Tues June 15 - Senior Cycling
- Mon June 21 - Teacher Only Day- No School
- Tues June 22 - Wed 23 Keeping Ourselves Safe
- Tues June 22 - Ready for Raureka (In Room 12, 2:00-2:45)
- Thurs June 24 - Leadership Day School Leaders
- Tues June 29 - Senior Cycling
- Thurs July 1 - Matariki 5:00pm meet School Quad
- Mon July 5 - 3 Way Conferences - School closes 12:30- 6:30 first Conference 1:00
- Tues July 6 - 3 Way Conferences first Conference 3:15-6:30
- Last Day Term 2 - Fri. - July 9 (School Closes at 2:55)
- Mufti Day
- First Day Term 3 - Mon. - July 26 (School Opens at 8:55)
- Thurs August 19- Parent evening with Murray Gadd about Writing
- Fri 27 August Teacher Only Day- all COL- No School
- Last Day Term 3 - Fri. - October 1 (School Closes at 2.55)
- First Day Term 4 - Mon. - October 18 (School Opens at 8.55)
- Mon 22 Nov Teacher Only Day- No School
- Last Day of 2021 - Wed. Dec. 15 (School closes at 12.30)
Hastings District Council has asked us to share the news that internationally famous Tall Black and Breakers player Tom Abercrombie will be at the opening of Hastings' newest full-size basketball court, at Ron Georgi III Park, Scott Dr, Flaxmere on June 13; 1pm to 3pm. Council, with Basketball NZ, Basketball HB, and Sports HB, is organising the event which will include free barbecued sausages, off-court play for littlies, and giveaways from Basketball NZ. All welcome.
· School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers. The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. We need help on the following days - Front Gate: Wednesday, Friday, Back Gate: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.