Pre AP Chemistry

Procedures, Rules, Materials, and Syllabus

Course Content

This college prep course covers chemistry core content standards with increased mathematical and conceptual rigor: scientific process and application skills; matter classifications; carbon chains; the periodic table; solutions; kinetic theory; stoichiometry; ideal gases; physical and chemical changes; and chemical and nuclear reactions. This course fulfills the physical science graduation requirement and is the recommended course prior to AP Chemistry.


Prerequisites: Biology or Pre AP Biology and Algebra I or Algebra IA/IB

Materials Needed

Scientific Calculator (examples:Texas Instruments TI-30Xa or TI- 30Xa)

Pencils

3 ring binder with loose leaf paper

Composition notebook with graph paper

One roll of paper towels

3x5 index cards (100)

CLASS RULES

  • Respect the people and furnishings of S233
  • Sit in your assigned seat
  • Follow directions the first time given
  • No personal grooming in class

ATTENDANCE

Attendance is of the utmost importance in this class. Lab projects are difficult to make up outside of regular class time. Every effort must be made to attend and participate each and every day. When an absence must occur, it is the student's responsibility to check online for missing assignments.

Syllabus

Week 1 General Introduction, Lab Safety, and Orientation

Weeks 2&3
Unit 1 Nature of Chemistry Chapters 1 and 2

Weeks 4&5 Unit 2 Structure of Matter Chapters 3,4,5, and 21

Weeks 6&7 Unit 3 Chemical Bonding Chapter 6

Week 8 Unit 4 Chemical Nomenclature Chapter 6

Weeks 9&10 Unit 5 Chemical Equations Chapter 8

Weeks 11&12 Unit 6 Composition Stoichiometry Chapters 3 and 7

Weeks 13&14 Unit 7 Reaction Stoichiometry Chapter 9

Weeks 15&16 Unit 8 States of Matter Chapters 10 and 11

Week 17 Units 9 and 10 Solutions and Acids Chapters 14 and 15

Week 18 Review and Final Exam

GRADING PROCEDURES

TERM AVERAGE

  • 40% DAILY GRADE
  • 60% TEST GRADE
This will be 80% of the final average. The final exam will be the remaining 20%.


A student who completes a PreAP course will have 5 points added to their final average at the end of the semester.

Discipline Plan

The following basic discipline guideline will be followed:

1st offense: Verbal Warning

2nd offense: Assignment

3rd offense: Detention

4th offense: Office Referral


Based on the severity of the offense, this guideline may be altered as needed.

Technology Information

Students are allowed to use personally owned devices (laptops, iOS devices, Android devices, tablets, netbooks and cell phones) for educational purposes within the classroom.

Expectations for device use:


1. Students will use only the device for educational purposes as instructed by the teacher.

2. Students' devices must be connected to the school's network.

3. Students not following expectations for use of personal devices will face school disciplinary measures.


Students are not required to bring outside technology to school. Assignments will be structured so that no student will be left out of the instructional process.