Counselor's Corner Newsletter
Merriman Park Elementary School 2020-2021
A Little About Me!
- Favorite color- Purple
- Hobby- Shopping, Hanging out with family/friends and reading
- Movie Genre- RomCom
- Snack- Popcorn
- Favorite Music- ALL genres!
- Bad Habit- Losing my keys around the building!! GEEZ!
Dr. Stone's Latest
Please see the latest video from Dr. Stone as she continues to update the district, families, and students during our transition back to school.
Returning for Face to Face Instruction: A Guide for Students
Student Meal Services for the 2020-2021 School Year
Applications are now open to apply for meal benefits for the 2020-2021 school year. Apply for free or reduced cost meals online here. Meal benefit applications must be completed each school year, even if approved the previous year. Families experiencing major life change such as job loss or reduced income may now be eligible for benefits. In addition, RISD Child Nutrition will be providing curbside breakfast and lunch service beginning Tuesday, August 18. Meals will be offered each Tuesday and Thursday at all school campuses, and this service is an ideal way for students taking class virtually to have access to nutritious meals. Curbside meal service is a benefit available to all enrolled RISD students, and may be available for free or at a reduced cost for eligible families.
Please click here to learn more about curbside meal service
Please click here to learn more about RISD Child Nutrition, including menus and how to deposit funds into your child’s account
Please click here to apply online for free or reduced cost meals for children
**Parents with any questions related to student meals may contact the RISD Child Nutrition Office at (469) 593-0108.**
Student Meal Pick Up Locations/Times:
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 7:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- All RISD schools except Christa McAuliffe Learning Center and Memorial Park Academy
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Apartments (see the list below)
- Bosque Estates Apartments, 9655 Chimney Hill Lane, Dallas, TX 75243
- La Mirada Apartments, 901 S. Coit, Richardson, TX 75080
- Lavera at Lake Highlands, 9842 Audelia, Dallas, TX 75238
- Linear on Esperanza Apartments, 13450 Esperanza, Dallas, TX 75240
- Newport Landing Apartments,10850 Walnut Hill, Dallas, TX 75238
- Northgate Village Apartments, 12303 Plano Road, Dallas, TX 75243
- Sienna Springs Apartments, 9455 Skillman, Dallas, TX 75243
- St. Croix Apartments, 12250 Abrams Road, Dallas TX 75243
- Sun Colony Apartments, 10075 Royal Lane, Dallas, TX 75238
- The Link, 9450 Forest, Springs, Dallas, TX 75243
- The Vineyards at the Ranch, 9350 Skillman, Dallas, TX 75243
North Texas Food Bank
- To locate a Mobile Pantry near your home use the Mobile Pantry search engine: https://ntfb.org/mobile-pantry/
- To locate a food pantry/homeless shelter/soup kitchen near your home use our Partner Agency search engine: https://www.ntfb.org/agencies
- SNAP Benefits - You can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 214-269-0906 for more details.
- 2-1-1 Texas is a program of the Texas Health and Human Services Commission. It's committed to helping Texas citizens connect with the services like food, clothing and other needs. For your families to use this serve they just need to dial 2-1-1 on any phone and they will be connected to a person who can help them find what they need. This resource is available in 90 languages. For more details go to: https://www.211texas.org/211/
Leticia Sanchez Baber
Child Programs Coordinator
North Texas Food Bank
RISD Clothes Closet
The RISD Clothes Closet is set to open on September 21, 2020- with some restrictions. This resource will be made available for students who have DIRE clothes needs; little to no clothing at all. If there is NOT a dire need, but students still need clothes, families can access the Network of Community Ministries. Please contact Ms. Grant if you are in DIRE need of clothes for your child(ren). Thank you!
Live Wise. Live Healthy.
August- Safety and Security
September- Suicide Prevention and Awareness
October- Drug and Violence Prevention Education
November/December-Mental Health Awareness
March- Cultural Competence
504, Dyslexia, and Testing Updates
Fill out referral form!
- Ms. G will contact your parents to set a time to chat with YOU only!
- Ms. G will review Virtual School Counseling Guidelines with parents.
- Find a quiet/safe space in your home.
- Chat with me!
- Schedule a follow up, if needed.
GT Services Update
MPE, Advance Learning Teacher
Mindfulness and Stress Management
We all know that this can be an interesting time for our kiddos! It is important to find calm and peace during uncertain times of transition. We can teach our students how to be calm, present, and peaceful through mindful breathing and mindful practices. Please click the link below to access a read aloud story called My Magic Breath. Along with this story, I have uploaded a video practicing mindful strategies for our students. This resource is completely optional, but I hope you can find these videos to be helpful, peaceful, and FUN!
Yoga & Calm Apps...
Stop. Breathe. Think- https://www.stopbreathethink.com/
Cosmic Kids Yoga- https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
Calm App- https://www.calm.com/
Insight Timer- https://insighttimer.com/meditation-topics/children
Go Noodle- https://www.gonoodle.com/
School Counselor, MPE
Virtual Hours: 8am-4pm