AJS Weekly Bison Tracks
May 28, 2021
- June 2, 2:14 p.m. - Early Dismissal
- June 3 - Mental Wellness Day for Schools
- June 4, 8:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. - Grade 9 Celebration (students only)
- June 7 - DELF Partie Ecrite (a.m.) and DELF Partie Orale (p.m.)
- June 8 - DELF Partie Orale (a.m.)
- June 21 - National Indigenous People's Day
- June 23 - Last Day of Classes
- June 24 & 25 - 2021 Convocation Red Carpet Recognition
- June 28 - Last Operational Day
- August 25 - EIPS school offices reopen
2020-2021 Yearbooks - Order yours today!
This will be the last week to order your yearbook! You can purchase a copy through the PowerSchool Parent Portal website. Click on Fees and add the 2020/2021 Yearbook. You must pay the fee in full to submit your order. Deadline to order is May 31 and there will be no extra books to purchase in the fall so get your order in today.
Parent Action Item- Feedback on School Goals and Strategy ideas
As we continue our work together in moving into next year, we will be focusing on the 3 below goals. Please email Principal Miss MJ Nam with any strategy ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate your feedback.
EIPS PRIORITY: Promote Growth and Success for All Students
1-For all students to experience growth and success in the areas of literacy and numeracy by continuing to build a culture of school-wide collaboration.
EIPS PRIORITY: Enhance High Quality Learning and Working Environments
2-Building teacher capacity to improve student learning experiences, engagement, and differentiation through a variety of innovative instructional practices over the course of a school year.
EIPS PRIORITY: Enhance Public Education through effective engagement
3-Enhance public education by increasing community involvement, encouraging a culture of social responsibility, and developing empathetic citizens.
Convocation/Red Carpet Recognition
We have received new guidance from the provincial government that will impact our Convocation Red Carpet Recognition to occur on June 24 and 25, 2021.
Essentially, our original plan to conduct the Convocation Red Carpet Recognition has shifted from inside the theatre to the school grounds immediately adjacent to it. Mr. Hicks will send a map/diagram that will indicate how students will proceed through Convocation/Red Carpet Recognition on an outdoors set comprising of portable tents as we approach our recognition dates. The four stages of the event are scheduled to be:
- Arrival of the Grad (one) and guests (up to nine) at their scheduled time on the grounds outside the theatre. As you pull up in your car, AJS Graduates will be filmed walking the red carpet and while Graduates and parents put on cap and gown in the designated area.
- Diploma Certificate Presentation: Parents/guests proceed to the designated Diploma Certificate presentation area to position for photographs physically distanced. When parents are situated, Mr. Hicks will announce the Graduate. Parents will be invited to present the Grad their Diploma Certificate and “flip their tassel.” The Grad proceeds to the AJS backdrop and is photographed with the Principal, Miss Nam.
- Departure: Grads and parents exit the Diploma Certificate Presentation area. Grads approach a Videographer station and are filmed while presenting a message to classmates (if they choose to do so), and parents take pictures. Stay tuned for the prompt questions.
- As Grads exit the Videographer station, they can look for and collect their AJS 2021 Grad yard sign, resplendent with their Grad portrait.
Book your Convocation/Red Carpet Recognition Date/Time
Participants will receive a link on Friday, May 28 at 3:30 p.m. via email to schedule their date/time to participate in the Convocation/Red Carpet Recognition event. The event is scheduled for June 24 and 25, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Caps, Tassels and Gowns
The caps, tassels and gowns for the Convocation/Red Carpet Recognition have arrived and will be available for pick-up on Monday, May 31, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. on the school grounds outside the theatre. Please proceed to the picnic table with the initials of your last name to collect your cap, tassel and gown. Off-site learners and grads currently not attending courses can collect these items from the main office from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on Monday, June 1, and from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 2. Please remember to wear a mask, use hand sanitizer when entering and exiting the building, and maintain physical distance protocols.
Accessing User Accounts: Students Leaving EIPS
Is your child graduating from or leaving EIPS at the end of the school year? If so, they must ensure any information they want to retain from their school cloud accounts is downloaded onto a personal device before leaving.
- Google account – Students must download any wanted content before September 1—download files individually or in bulk using Google Takeout.
- Microsoft account – Students must download any wanted content from their OneDrive account before September 1.
After Sept. 1, 2021, EIPS will deactivate the account and delete all remaining files.
For more information, contact the school at 780-922-2228.
Updating Your Contact Information
Have you recently moved, or has your contact information changed throughout the past year? EIPS encourages families to review the information it has on file to ensure it’s up to date. Using the Correction and Verification Form, available through the PowerSchool Parent Portal, families can review the current information on file for each student—addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, parent and guardian information, emergency contacts, medical details and other related information—and submit any updates needed.
Reviewing and updating the form ensures the Division has the most up-to-date information regarding your child. Your review is especially important if there’s any communication the Division or school needs to send out over the summer months related to classes next year.
All EIPS families are asked to review their child’s Correction and Verification Form by Monday, June 14 at noon. After this time, the form will be turned off for the remainder of the school year and not available again to families until the start of the 2021-22 school year.
NOTE: Only submit updates for the changes that have already taken place. If you’re moving this summer, you’ll submit the necessary updates to your address through the Correction and Verification Form at the start of next school year after you’ve moved.
If you have questions about the form or are having trouble with your PowerSchool Parent Portal account, contact the school at 780-922-2228.
2020-21 EIPS Parent Survey: Results now available
The 2020-21 EIPS Parent Survey results are now available. In April, the Division conducted the annual survey, which helps EIPS gauge its progress toward meeting the goals and priorities outlined in its Four-Year Education Plan. Families were asked a series of questions about their experiences with EIPS and the school their child attends, the overall performance of the Division, the quality of education being provided to students and areas for improvement.
Thank you to all families who took the time to share their feedback with the Division. Overall, the survey received 3,198 responses from parents and guardians across EIPS—up by more than 230 responses from the previous year. EIPS will now review the feedback in detail and use it to develop new strategies to serve students and the wider community better.
The full results are available online:
2020-21 Parent Survey results: EIPS (available Monday, May 31, 2021)
2020-21 Parent Survey results: Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High
Mental Wellness Day for Schools
On June 3, 2021, schools can access free, online sessions on mental wellness. There are individual sessions for kindergarten to Grade 3, Grades 4 to 6 and Grades 7 to 12 students – as well as teachers, staff and parents. All share a common theme: ‘Take care of yourself and each other.’
It’s a way of recognizing the resilience of school communities during this difficult year and offering some fun, engaging sessions on supporting mental wellness together.
BETA Camp Summer Program
BETA Camp is an immersive 6-week virtual summer program (July 5 - August 13) for students in grades 8 to 12 that teaches them the fundamental skills in business, technology, and entrepreneurship as well as provides career guidance.
A few of the program highlights from past cohorts include:
- Design Thinking Workshop: Used leading technologies to empathize, define problems, and ideate; led by Head of Innovation at IKEA
- Copy.ai Challenge: Learned about storytelling and marketing in entrepreneurship, and applied this to create ads and landing pages in a challenge hosted by the CTO of Copy.ai, a startup that recently raised $2.4 million USD in seed funding
- Business vs. Tech Panel: Students were exposed to a variety of fields from leaders in Finance, Growth in Tech, and Engineering at Birch Hill Equity Partners, Stripe, and Wish
Building the Startup
The 6-week program puts students through all the core entrepreneurial stages, including design thinking, hypothesis testing, market research, building an MVP, and marketing and sales, to launch their own remote business.
Each team receives the personalized support of an industry mentor and teaching assistant for mentorship and feedback. To equip them with the knowledge they need, students also have access to on-demand video lessons, covering concepts from the top MBA programs and entrepreneurial accelerators.
At the end of the program, students pitch their real startups to a panel of judges, composed of founders, angel investors, and venture capitalists.
- Students can Sign Up to Attend one of our Information Sessions to learn more
- Complete the online application. The deadline to apply is May 31st at 11:59 PM EST. Students are accepted on a rolling basis, and we encourage students to apply sooner rather than later.
- See what our alumni say about BETA Camp, the business internship opportunities they have landed, and the amazing companies they have built HERE.
- For other inquiries about the program, fees, financial aid, and application process please visit www.beta.camp or reach out to email@example.com
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns!