How to use the NEW Google Form
A Teacher's Guide
Why Google Forms
THIS SITE WILL HELP YOU WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING LISTED
*Customize your form.
*Add/Edit questions in your form.
*Add a section(s) to your form.
*Navigate sections of your form for its users.
*Have options on where to store your responses.
*How to send your form to responders.
*Invite other collaborators.
Creating A New Form
*Go to your http://docs.google.com/forms site and red plus bottom located on the bottom right corner of your screen. Your new form should automatically open.
*If you are already in your google drive you may click on the red "new" button on the left side of your screen. Then go to , more...and click Google Forms.
Customize Your Form
Open your google form and click the color palette icon. Choose a color that fits your form best. Want a theme? Click the image icon and you can add either an existing theme in your or you can upload an image.
Add/Edit Questions In Your Form
Begin by clicking on the question icon shown as the + (plus) symbol.
You may choose any of the following question types....
- Multiple choice
- Short answer
- Dropdown (Respondents choose an answer from a menu that drops down)
- Linear scale: Respondents rank something along a scale of numbers
- Multiple choice grid: Respondents choose points on a grid
One thing I love about using google forms with my students is that I can control which questions are optional/not by simply clicking on the "Required" button to enable/disable while creating each question.
Add A Section To Your Form
There is a button that looks like an = sign (that is showing that you can have multiple sections). Click that button. Now you can add a title to your section and a description if you'd like. After that, you can start adding questions to that specific section.
Navigate Sections of Your Form for It's Users
If you'd like to have your users go to different sections based on their responses you can follow the steps below.
- Open your form
- Click the Question icon and add a question you want to lead to a specific section of your form. The question needs to be either: Multiple choice or Choose from a list
- On the right side of the question, click the More icon .
- Choose Go to section based on answer.
- Next to your answers for this question, choose specific pages to send respondents to when they choose an answer. You can also choose to send respondents to the confirmation page based on an answer by selecting "Submit form."
You can also allow your users to just simply go from one section to another on separate pages within your form so it doesn't all show on one page. Follow the steps below to make this happen.
- Open the form.
- Add section breaks by clicking the Section icon .
- At the bottom of each section, you'll see a dropdown menu with options for where to send respondents next. By default, it's set to "Continue to next section," but you can change it to send respondents to a specific section in your form or to the form's confirmation page.
Have Options On Where To Store Your Responses
- Open the form.
- At the top, click the Responses tab
- Click the More icon .
- Select Choose a response destination.
- Choose from the following destinations:
- New spreadsheet: Creates a new spreadsheet in Google Sheets for responses
- Enter in an existing spreadsheet: Choose from your existing spreadsheets in Google Sheets to store responses
- Click Create.
Inviting Other Collaborators
- Open a form.
- Click the File menu.
- If you don't see a "File" menu, click the More icon in the top right.
- Choose Add collaborators.
- In the text box under "Invite people," add the names or email addresses of your collaborators and choose the level of access you want them to have.
- Click Done.
- Create a Google Form. Take a Screen Shot!
- Share the screen shot on Twitter! Tweet your picture using #HeritageExplorers and #HEtechChallenge.