FPHS Parent and Student Memo
May 3, 2021
FPS District Equity Statement
AREAS OF FOCUS AND IMPROVEMENT:
- Equity and Social Justice
- Improved Instruction
- Family and Community Engagement
Our Equity Team would like to partner with our parents and students to fulfill our mission to support our students, staff, and families by identifying and dismantling systems that perpetuate, exacerbate, or produce inequities based on race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc. If you would like to collaborate with us, please let us know HERE. If you want to learn more about our commitment to EQUITY and ANTI-RACISM, feel free to contact any of our FPHS Equity Team members: Hartley, Marzano, Wright, Laban, Hackney, Apelu, Brist, Call, Chapman, Detweiler, Fineman, Goodrum, Inman, Kaunda, B. Lee, Martin, Plaskett, Quill, Roscoe, Scroger, Shoopman, Washam, and C. Lee.
Dear Parents and Students,
Attendance Clarification: If your student fails the health screener, please be sure to call our Attendance Coordinator, Ms. Disney, at 298-3813. This will ensure that the appropriate attendance code gets entered. Otherwise, your student's absence will be unexcused in the system.
Students, we have seen a significant improvement in student grades since our return to in-person learning. We still have a long way to go, but keep up the good work. Reach out to your teachers if you are still struggling. The year is winding down quickly!
Homework Center is going Live! Struggling with the class material? Need a little help? The FPHS Homework Center will be open for in-person assistance starting Monday, May 3. HW center staff will be available after school Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 2pm – 4pm. Due to limited capacity, only students who sign-up to attend after-school HW center, will be permitted in the classroom. Stop by room 202 during lunch to check weekly availability. A sign-up sheet will be posted on the door. Students will be limited to signing up for 1 day per week but can check back for space availability. The online option is still available and can be reached through any student's canvas page by pressing the homework center button and joining the teams meeting. We look forward to seeing you there. Go Cards!!!
Visit HERE to view previous Parent and Student Memos.
Please, make sure you have all the info below. We miss you and wish you all the very best. Stay safe and be well!
- Graduation Info: Find Senior Info and Grad Info HERE.
- Distinguished Portfolio Essays due: April 19
- Graduation Eligibility Walk List Posted: May 3 (updated weekly)
- Senior Exit Interviews due: May 19
- Last day for on-track Seniors: June 11
- Senior Awards Night: June 14
- Graduation Rehearsal (required): June 15, 9am, WA State Fairgrounds
- Graduation Parade: June 15, 10:30am
- Graduation: June 17, 6pm, WA State Fairgrounds
ALL DATES AND EVENTS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON GUIDELINES FROM THE TPC HEALTH DEPARTMENT.
2021 Senior Fitness Challenge!
MAY Culture Calendar
MAY is ...
ASIAN AND PACIFIC ISLANDER HERITAGE MONTH: Learn more HERE.
JEWISH AMERICAN HERITAGE MONTH: Learn more HERE.
- MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH: Learn more HERE.
- OLDER AMERICANS MONTH: Learn more HERE.
- 5/1 LEI DAY: Learn more HERE.
5/4 MAY THE 4TH BE WITH YOU: Learn more HERE.
5/5 MMIW DAY (MISSING/MURDERED INDIGENOUS WOMEN'S DAY): Learn more HERE.
5/5 CINCO DE MAYO: Learn more HERE.
5/9 MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS DAY: Learn more HERE.
5/21 WORLD DAY FOR CULTURAL DIVERSITY: Learn more HERE.
5/24 SAMOAN LANGUAGE WEEK: Learn more HERE.
5/31 MEMORIAL DAY: Learn more HERE.
Cardinal Character Trait for MAY: AWARENESS!
LIFE AFTER HIGH SCHOOL:
Family and Community Engagement
The Franklin Pierce High School Food & Hygiene Pantry is available for all students and their families.
Use this LINK to view our current food & hygiene pantry options. Please mark the items you need and staff will put together a bag or box. We will contact you when your bag is ready for pick up or delivery.
Additional ways to request items: You can request a paper copy of this form by contacting Bonita Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 253-298-3837 to request items via phone.
FPHS Athletes and Families,
Season 2 is now its final week. Please continue to social distance and wear masks when attending our athletic events. With Pierce County rolling back to phase 2 we are asking for cooperation from our parents to abide by these guidelines as they are pertinent to us continuing to be able to allow fans to our athletic events.
When we return to school on Monday we will be launching our Season 3 sports of (Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys and Girls Wrestling, Girls Bowling, Boys Tennis, Boys Swimming, and Girls Flag Football!
Season 3 Sports Starting!
Girls Flag Football
Registration is now open for flag football! If you are interested in being a part of the program please register in FamilyID like you would for any other sport at Franklin Pierce HS.
The official start to the season has been pushed back by the league to Wednesday, May 5th. The first practice of the year will be from 6:30PM – 8:30PM. The team will attend a jamboree sponsored by the Seattle Seahawks on Saturday, May 8th at Wilson HS. Email Jesse McNeil email@example.com if you have any questions.
Boys swim will not be starting their season until Monday, May 10th. This will be their first practice and they will be practicing at the Lakewood YMCA and will be practicing in the evenings at 7PM. Full details for the boys swim program and practice schedule will included in next week’s weekly memo.
Boys and Girls Wrestling
Boys and girls wrestling will be starting on Thursday, May 6th at 6PM in the mat room for their first practice of the season. Jeremy Kessler is the new Head Boys Wrestling Coach. He is familiar with our school and is also an assistant coach in our FPHS Football program. Bre Spracklin will be returning as the Head Girls coach. The first two practices on Thursday and Friday will be no-contact and then contact practices will begin on Monday, May 10th.
Girls basketballs starts on Monday, may 3rd from 5:30PM – 7:30PM. This will be the first day and all athletes rather returning athletes or athletes new to the program are expected to come at this time on Monday. For the rest of the week JV/C Team will practice from 2:15 – 4PM and Varsity will practice form 4:00PM to 6:00PM.
From Coach Barbee:
The season is here! Much anticipated but it still snuck up on us! I will be sending out a few items later this week/weekend.
1st Day of Practice
All Freshman - 2:30 - 4:30pm Main Gym
10 - 12 graders - 4:30-6:30pm Main Gym
2nd Day of Practice
All Freshman - 2:30 - 4:30pm Main Gym
10-12 graders - 4:30 - 6:30pm Main Gym
Girls Bowling launches this week and will be practicing at Paradise Bowling Alley on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday next from 2:30PM – 4:00PM. Transportation is not provided to and from practices but will be provided for all competitions.
From Coach Parsons:
Attention boys tennis players! Please make sure you get signed up on FamilyID and reach out to Mr. Parsons at Tparsons@fpschools.org to get all the info for the upcoming season starting Monday, May 3rd. Practice times will be from 2PM – 4PM daily. Make sure you are ready to go!
Season 2 Wrapping Up
Track and Field (Boys and Girls)
Track and field wrapped up their last meet of the season against Washington yesterday at Franklin Pierce Stadium and the Cardinals now look toward the League Championship Meet next week. Track events will be hosted at Franklin Pierce HS on Thursday for athletes who qualify and will start at 4PM. Field events will start at 3:30PM on Friday at Enumclaw HS. Because of Phase 2 restrictions there will be no fans allowed at either event.
The Cardinals beat have been in some competitive league competition and are currently are .500 in league play. The Cardinals look to wrap up the regular season next week against another league leader in White River HS. On Wednesday against Tacoma Baptist the Cardinals honored their 5 seniors. The senior were Doug Shelton, Kai Estep, Taylor White, Dilon King, and Carson Blaisdell.
The Cardinal softball team is young with 7 out of 12 of the varsity athletes being freshman. This last week the girls battled a tough opponent in Enumclaw and came out victorious with a 3-2 win. The girls currently sit 5th and are one spot out of making it into the final round of 4 in order to make a run at the SPSL League title. They are scheduled to play Fife tonight at 7PM and play Washington HS on Monday next week at Washington HS.
Boys varsity soccer is battling for a top spot in the 2A SPSL and currently are ranked 2nd overall. This last week against Steilacoom the boys pulled out a nail biter as they tied the game 1-1 on a penalty kick in the final minutes. They have a couple of tough matchups ahead that will challenge their chance at the 2A SPSL title. If the current standings hold. The boys will head to White River HS on Thursday this week to play for the championship!
The girls tennis team finished their regular season with a team record of 6-2. We have some very impressive, highlighted records to celebrate this season. Lexi Sams finished at #1 singles with a record of 7-1. At #1 Doubles Bailee Disney and Kathleen Nguyen finished with a 7-1 record. At #2 Doubles Hiley Heng and Regina Bautista finished as well with a 7-1 record. And our #3 doubles Sierra Boler and Mackenzie Reichenbach finished with a 6-2 record. Overall a very impressive season with lots to celebrate. Post season tournament start on Wednesday May 5th.
FPHS Club Info:
- Black Student Union: The BSU Meets every other Wednesday from 2:00pm-3:00pm. We are currently meeting on Zoom. If students are interested in joining a meeting, please email Blee@fpschools.org
- Latin@s Unid@s: Culture, resources, support, friends; Cultura, recursos, apoyo, amistad. We meet on Mondays at 1:55pm in room 404 or on Zoom. For more info, contact Mr. Call at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- KPOP Club: FP Korean Club was formed so students at the high school can gather and have the opportunity to take part in learning the Korean language, Korean culture and KPOP dances. We will start meeting in person every Thursday starting April 1 in room 902 at 2:15pm.
- Pacific Islander Club (PIC): Welcome back! We will be meeting on Mondays from 2 - 4 pm in the Cafeteria. All are welcome, and we look forward to seeing you there.
- Mural Club: Advisor, Ms. Kaunda. Meeting on Thursdays at 1:50pm in room 1606 and via Zoom.
FOR MORE INFO, SEE THE CLUB FLYERS BELOW.
Please consider donating a yearbook to a senior in need! A yearbook is a special keepsake that lasts a lifetime...we want the Class of '21 to be able to look back on their senior year with a smile! Click the button below to donate.
A Few Reminders about Donating:
- Donations MUST be done on the Walsworth website (not through the bookkeeper).
- When asked who the homeroom teacher is, please enter YOUR NAME or simply leave it blank to remain anonymous.
- If you have a specific student in mind, you may enter their name. If you want to donate to any senior in need, just put "Donation" as the first & last name. Enter "12" as grade.
Homework Center: Free Tutoring Daily
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday: 11am to 12pm and 2pm - 4pm.
- Wednesdays: 9am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm.
HW Center LINK.
Washington State is currently working with the Biden administration to seek a waiver to "skip" state testing this year. If this does not get approved at the federal level, we will conduct the Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) in Math and ELA as well as the Washington Comprehensive Assessment of Science (WCAS). If this is the case, state assessments will be administered this Spring. We've also learned that assessments will have fewer questions and prompts than previous non-Covid years. More information to come.
College Board Testing
These exams include PSAT, SAT, and AP exams. In Fall, FPS decided not to offer PSAT or SAT due to Covid restrictions and College Board requirements. Recently, our region has moved to the moderate Covid phase which allows us to bring more students back in a variety of settings. We are reviewing our current safety protocols and testing guidelines to see how we can provide opportunities for students to access these assessments this Spring.
At this time, you can expect that students enrolled in AP courses will be taking the AP exam in Spring. Testing may take place remotely or in person. We are currently in the planning stage and will notify families as soon as our plan is set.
For all College Board exams, preparation materials and resources can be found on their website. https://www.collegeboard.org
Update on AP testing!!!
If you haven’t heard, we’re going digital, and students get the option to choose their testing location. Students can either test at home or on campus no matter which cohort they are in. Please use the link below to select your choice. For students who wish to change their previous selection, please email Mrs. Plaskett- Rosario at email@example.com. The deadline to make your selection is April 15. For students who do not complete the survey, you will automatically be assigned in-school testing.
Beginning April 8, students can preview College Board’s digital testing application and practice multiple-choice and free-response questions. Be sure to check it out through your College Board accounts.
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Franklin Pierce HS Website
- FPS Remote Learning Website
- IT Help Desk for Students and Parents: 253-298-4647, 7:30AM to 4PM.
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- FPS Breakfast and Lunch Program: www.fpschools.org/meals
- FPS Education Resources: https://www.fpschools.org/exended-closure-resources-and-information/closure-educational-resources
- Want to add Canvas to your phone? Android or iOS. Once you download the app, search "fpschools" to find our district.
- FPHS Facebook page.
- FPHS Twitter page.
- FPHS Instagram page.
- Information about GRADES and GRADING.
- Information about BUSES.
- District CALENDAR.
- Information about ATTENDANCE.
- How to access and use DORA.
- Zoom Tutorial HERE.
COVID- 19 Resources:
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Gov. Inslee's COVID-19 updates web page: https://www.governor.wa.gov/tags/covid-19-coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- District resources and partners: https://www.fpschools.org/departments/family-engagement-office/community-resources
- Check with your phone and internet provider: many providers are offering free and/or unlimited data, internet etc. during the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
- Financial Resources: https://dfi.wa.gov/coronavirus/financial-resources