Baby and You
By Reagan Martin
MyPlate Recommendations Throughout the Semester
- Choose foods from each food group that have all of the minerals you need while pregnant.
- Avoid empty calories.
- Look for choices that are low-fat, fat-free, unsweetened, or with no added-sugars.
- You only need 300 extra calories while pregnant.
Foods to Avoid and Why
- Un-pasteurized juices: They can contain bacteria.
- Undercooked meat: Leading cause of toxoplasmosis.
- Certain types of fish: May contain high levels of methyl mercury.
- Soft cheeses and deli meats: have a high risk of Listeria monocytogenes.
- Excessive caffeine: low birth weight, miscarriage and preterm labor.
Critical Vitamins & Minerals
- Vitamin A & Beta Carotene
- Vitamins E, D, and C
- Folic Acid/Folate
- Calcium, Iron, Protein, and Zinc
Breastfeeding and Dietary Needs
- You need more fluids.
- Limit sugary drinks such as soda.
- Use caution when drinking caffeine or alcohol. It goes to your baby, too.
- You can drink coffee if you want, but only 2-3 cups a day.
- Colostrum is what first comes out of a women's breast when she is feeding her baby. It is very nutrient-dense and is the best thing for a newborn.
- Breastfeeding is the way to go if at all possible. It provides all of the nutrients a newborn needs to grow and develop.
- Vitamin D supplements are good.
First Year of Life Diet
- 1 mo: 2-4 oz. 6-8 times a day.
- 2 mo: 5-6 oz. 5-6 times a day.
- 3 mo: 6-7 oz. 5-6 times a day.
- 4-6 mo: 28-32 oz. 1-6 times a day with breastfeeding or formula, and 3 to 5 tbs. single grain iron fortified cereal mixed with formula.
- 7 mo: 30-32 oz. 3-5 times a day with beastfeeding or formula, and 3 to 5 tbs. single grain iron fortified cereal mixed with formula.
- 8 mo: 30-32 oz. 3-5 times a day with breastfeeding or formula, and 5 to 8 tbs. single grain cereal mixed with formula.
- 9 mo: 30-32 oz. 3-5 times a day with breastfeeding or formula, and 5-8 tbs. any variety mixed with formula.
- 10-12 mo: 24-30 oz. a day with breastfeeding or formula, and 5-8 tbs. any variety mixed with formula.