Kilgore Intermediate School September 24, 2015
September 28 - October 2
Celebrate Successes!PLCs will meet in room 307 on Tuesday and Thursday at regularly scheduled times. ELAR will plan on Tuesday and Math/Science will plan on Thursday.
During the first six weeks of school we have accomplished many important tasks.
- We have provided Universal Screening for reading and math and identified our students in need of Tier 2 and Tier 3 intervention.
- We have collected data from our first common grade and are in the process of providing reteach and intervention for the students not showing mastery of the skills assessed.
- We are beginning guided reading and small group instruction based on our students' levels and needs.
- We have identified our "hotspots" and learned about those TEKS, how they are assessed on STAAR, and when we teach them.
As we come to an end of the 1st six weeks of school, I would like for us to reflect on our accomplishments. Think of one success or goal you have accomplished this six weeks and be prepared to share it in our PLC next week. It is a time for celebration!
Frequent, Small-Group, Purposeful Talk About the Learning
Frequency: How often should I use FSGPT?
The rule of thumb is to provide for student discussion after every 10-15 minutes of teacher talk. Students should be given 30 seconds to 3 minutes to visit about a topic.
Group Size: How many students are in a group?
Two to four students are placed in a group.
Seed Question: What do students discuss?
Use preplanned seed questions. The purpose of these questions is to guide the student conversations toward the desired learning outcome.
Power Zone: What is my role while the students are conversing?
Remain in the Power Zone to ensure that students remain focused and participate in academic discussions. Immediately address misconceptions and validate/share critical insights, examples and connections.
- Adult Language/Student Language
- Time to Translate
- Student Retention
- The Primacy/Recency Effect
- Attention Span
- Instructional Rigor and Relevance
Talk Like a Genius Question Stems
- What would happen if...?
- Develop a plan to ...?
- Find a better solution to...?
- What is the most important...?
What can I do for you?
Christy McElyea, KIS Instructional Specialist
I believe in you.
I believe in our students.
I believe in KIS.
KISD...where every student counts!