TCS News to Know
For the Week of February 5, 2024
This week is National School Counselor Week! In honor of this, we want to give a HUGE shout out and thank you to our amazing Tekonsha Student Support Team! We are excited to continue to see this staff grow within our district, to better help meet the needs of our students!
- Mrs. Brenda Tew is our MS/HS School Counselor. This is her third year at Tekonsha Schools, and she just finished her Master's in Counseling from Spring Arbor University this fall! Mrs. Tew does so much more than her title implies. She is the go-to person for our students' social, emotional, and academic needs. She serves as an important support to our high school students as they navigate the transition from high school to their next steps! Mrs. Tew is our district homeless liaison, and is a valuable resource for connecting students and families with outside services and agencies when there is a need.
- Mrs. Jenn Westra is our Elementary Behavior Interventionist. This is Mrs. Westra's first year at Tekonsha Schools, and our first year with this new position. Mrs. Westra has been a huge support for our elementary students and their social and emotional needs, as well as providing social emotional learning to all students in the elementary.
- Mrs. Christine Bailey is our CISD School Mental Health Specialist. As a licensed social worker, Mrs. Bailey provides clinical mental heath support to students in need. She has also done a great job of organizing and maintaining our Free Store this school year!
- Ms. Meredith Line is our CISD Special Education Social Worker. Ms. Line provides social work services to meet students' IEP needs. Even though she is only in our district one day a week, she goes above and beyond to make sure that all of our students have her full support!
We are so grateful to have this amazing student support team! They do such a great job of caring for all of the students at Tekonsha Schools! If you or your student has a need, please do not hesitate to contact your child's building office to be connecting with any of our support staff.
Muffins & Math for 1st Grade!
All middle school and high school conferences will be on a drop-in basis, from 5-7 pm on Wednesday, February 14, 2024. All conferences for K-6 will be scheduled in advance with your student's teacher. Please watch for communication directly from your teacher with more information! We know that this is Valentine's Day, so make it a stop before or after your special dinner out! If you would like to communicate with your child's teachers and are unable to attend conferences in person, please reach out to them via email. All teacher emails can be located on the district website at www.tekonshaschools.org under the District tab and then District Personnel.
100th Day of School Fun!
10th Grade Visit to CACC
Senior Athletes Honor Educators
On Tuesday, January 30th, all Tekonsha High School Senior athletes were recognized between the Varsity Girls and Varsity Boys games. Students were acknowledged for all of the sports teams in which they have participated in high school, as well as celebrating their plans for after graduation. A highlight of the evening was the recognition of each athlete's most influential staff member. This included Tekonsha teachers, coaches, staff, and CACC program teachers. This shows the connections and impact that our staff all have on our students. Thank you to Aryn Henry for coordinating this!
Congratulations to the following on their recognition:
- Alyssa Aldrich - Mrs. Krista Groholske
- Emmitt Blashfield - Mr. Tim Jenkins
- Lydia Blashfield - Dr. Derrick Britt (CACC)
- Caleb Emison - Mrs. Trisha Blashfield
- Megan Fairchild - Mr. Scott Young
- Blake Giffith - Mr. Lonnie Newland
- Mackenzie Knapp - Mrs. Aryn Henry
- Andrew Morrill - Mrs. JoEllen O'Keefe
- Carissa Shedd - Mr. Jeremy Brown (CACC)
- Talia Stull - Mr. Rob Miller (CACC)
- Ashton White - Dr. Derrick Britt (CACC)
- Brayton Wintersteen - Mrs. Vickie Runyon
- Abby Wrobel - Mrs. Heather Fouty
Who Are You Rooting For? T-H-S!!!
Our high school cheer team, under the direction of Coach Michele Stuart, worked all last week to lead an after school elementary cheer clinic. The students and their HS coaches showed their Indian spirit during halftime of the JV boys basketball game on Thursday, February 1st. The students performed a number of cheers and wowed the audience with how well they knew all of the cheers and motions after just a week of practice! What a great experience for all of our students! To see a full video of the elementary cheer team, check out the Tekonsha Schools Facebook page, where the performance was livestreamed!
Summer EBT is back - Return form by THIS Friday!!
The Summer EBT program is back, but you need to make sure that you have filled out your Education Benefits Form completed to qualify! The summer EBT program is based on your family's eligibility for the program according to your school meal benefits status. While all students in our district eat for free, there was an Education Benefit Form required for each family that was provided at the beginning of the year. This form determines what your student's meal benefit status would be, if our district was not qualified for free meals. This form is simple and doesn't require your private personal information and only income totals. Filling out this form not only can help benefit you for additional summer money from the State to help feed your student(s), this form also ensures as a district we receive proper funding for other special programs. Without a form on file, YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE SUMMER BENEFITS, and only qualified families will receive funding with an approved form on file.
From the MDE website updated 1/16/2024
To receive the Summer EBT benefit, every family must have an approved student eligibility benefit (free or reduced) through their school. Households may need to complete and submit the School Meals and Summer EBT Application. Make sure all families are aware they will need to turn in this form ahead of count day to receive benefits over the summer. Count day will be in early February 2024.
Summer EBT benefits are available for eligible households based on their student eligibility status (free or reduced). This can be from direct certification, categorical eligibility, or from the School Meals and Summer EBT Application. The student benefit data will be pulled from the 2023-2024 MSDS Early Childhood and General Spring collections.
You must have a completed form returned to your student's office by Friday, February 9th.
Congratulations to the Tekonsha Elementary FRIENDLY Indians of the Week for January 29 - February 2. This week, students are working on being focused.