Chandler High Wolf Bytes
School of Champions
September 24, 2018
NATIONAL MERIT COMMENDED STUDENTS
Seven CHS Seniors have been named Commended Students in the 2019 National Merit Program. Commended Students are recognized for the exceptional academic promise demonstrated by their outstanding performance on the PSAT/NMSQT, but are not in competition for National Merit Scholarships. Congratulations to Isabella Adkins, John Funicello, Emily Gross, Emily Smith, Tressa Stevenson, Riley Whitt-Collins, and Emma Willes.
YOUTH ADVISORY COUNCIL
Andrea Lee-Cruz, CHS AP 2-D Design student, has been selected to the Chandler Center for the Arts Youth Advisory Council. This is a selective group; many students throughout Chandler apply for a position, and the application process includes recommendations and an interview. Students selected focus on Arts Appreciation, Community Service & Leadership Skills in order to become advocates for the arts and well-rounded community leaders. Congratulations, Andrea!
The CHS Drama Department performed Alice last week and did an exceptional job. Thanks to the cast, crew, and Ms. Likes, CHS Theatre Director, for producing such a great show!
Congratulations to the following badminton players following a tournament on Saturday that tested their endurance with seven 11 point singles games plus seven 15 point doubles games: Isabel Honzay- 1st place with 7-0 record; Alana Alfredo- 1st place with 6-1 record; Doubles Team of Isabel Honzay and Katherine Chou- 2nd place with 5-2 record. Great work, Wolves!
The Lady Wolves Golf Team took 3rd place out of 12 teams in last Thursday’s 2018 Higley Golf Classic. Senior Annika Lagos shot a 74. Congratulations to Coach Kyle Darr and the Lady Wolves!
Last Week's Wins
- Badminton def. Boulder Creek (V 8-1, JV 8-1) and Cesar Chavez (V 8-1, JV 9-0)
- Football def. Desert Ridge (V 48-13, JV 39-6, F 62-8)
- Unified Flag Football def. Queen Creek 44-42
- Volleyball def. Cesar Chavez ( V 3-0, JV 2-0, F 2-0) and Tucson (V 3-0, JV 2-1, F 2-0)
THIS WEEK’S HOME EVENTS
- Mon, Sept 24th: Fall Choir Concert- Barbershop Extravaganza @ 7 pm in the CCA
- Tues, Sept 25th: Boys Tennis vs Brophy @ 3:30 pm; Girls Volleyball vs Hamilton- F @ 4 pm, JV @ 5 pm, Varsity @ 6pm
- Wed, Sept 26th: Girls Volleyball vs Basha- F @ 4 pm, JV @ 5 pm, V @ 6 pm; Fall Band Concert @ 7 pm in the CCA
- Thurs, Sept 27th: Boys Tennis vs Desert Mountain @ 3:30 pm; Swim vs Chaparral @ 4 pm; JV Football vs Perry @ 6 pm
CORE VALUE HIGHLIGHT
CHS is an International Baccalaureate (IB) World School. The aim of all IB programs is to develop internationally-minded people who, recognizing their common humanity and shared guardianship of the planet, help to create a better and more peaceful world. IB learners strive to be Inquirers, Thinkers, Communicators, Risk-takers, Knowledgeable, Principled, Open-minded, Caring, Balanced, Reflective, and Persevering.
This week we’re highlighting “Inquirers”: Have a natural curiosity and learn to acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning. Inquirers actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
Last week’s orchestra concert was a great success! Congratulations to all of CHS’s orchestras and their director Ms. Danelle Kennedy on a job well-done. Special congrats to Xingye “XY” Mao, CHS Concert Master and section leader, who performed the solo Concerto in A Minor by J.S. Bach.
This week is Spirit Week to spread awareness for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Show your support for this great cause by participating in daily themes. Friday’s Superhero theme is also the game day theme when the Wolves travel to Perry to take on the Pumas. Bring your super powers to Perry Friday night at 7:00pm and watch us dominate the Pumas!
Homecoming is the short week we get back from Fall Break, and you need to be in the know!
- Homecoming Parade- Friday, Oct. 19th from 1:35-2:10 at CHS
- Varsity Football vs. Tucson- Friday, Oct. 19th @ 7:00pm on Austin Field- Homecoming Court introduced during halftime
- Homecoming Dance- Saturday, Oct. 20th from 8:00-11:00pm in the CHS Courtyard. Tickets on sale now in the bookstore. Guest passes are available in the bookstore and front office and are due to Mrs. Templeton no later than Thursday, Oct. 18th at 2:30pm. No exceptions. Students must have an ID to enter the dance.
CHECK THIS OUT!
Check out this incredible “still life” art work by some of Ms. Jennifer Knoll’s Drawing and Painting II and AP Art students! The art was based off of materials borrowed from our band and anatomy classrooms.
IB RAISES MONEY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
IB boosters partnered with Goodwill to host a donation drive fundraiser and collected 9,660 pounds of donations, resulting in a check for $1,116.00! This equates to 10 test scholarships for IB students at CHS! Thanks to all of your donations, we’re able to help fight unemployment in Arizona by supporting no-cost career centers at Goodwill. A special thank you to all of the student and parent volunteers and all who dropped off donations.
ASU SUSTAINABILITY SCHOOL AT CHS
Chandler High and ASU have partnered for a great opportunity for students interested in studying sustainability. Check out Bridget Abraham, CHS Class of 2018 and current ASU Freshman, in this article about her experiences at both schools and her goals in this important area of study.
Senior parents, you should be receiving or may have already received a letter in the mail for an appointment for Senior Photos being taken by Lifetouch Prestige Photography Oct. 1st thru the 16th except Sundays. To appear in the 2018-19 yearbook, seniors must have their photos taken at this time. If you have questions, call Lifetouch at 480-296-2880.
IB HARKINS FUNDRAISER
The IB students and IB booster group are selling Harkins 2019 movie cups and Popcorn Perks until October 25th. Harkins cups are $6.50 each and allow you to have $1.50 soda refills at all Harkins theaters in 2019. The Popcorn Perks is $30 and gets you a free medium popcorn each time you go to the movie (up to 36 times).
These make great gifts! Purchases can be made by contacting the IB Boosters at email@example.com or through any IB student in grades 9-12. Orders and money must be collected by October 25th. The vouchers will be delivered the week of November 5th.
DINE OUT OPPORTUNITIES
ROBOTICS SAVE THE DATE
CASH FOR CLASSROOMS
The annual Cash for Classrooms campaign is in full swing! Please consider giving what you can to help the Chandler Education Foundation fund enrichment grants to teachers and schools across the district. A record number of teachers have applied for grants that enrich and extend learning, making lessons memorable. Grants are awarded within weeks! Chandler Education Foundation has been a non-profit supporter of CUSD students and staff for over 32 years. Do you prefer to give online? Learn more and give on the Cash for Classrooms website. Thank you for investing in our future!
Sign up this week (9/24-9/28) for the PSAT/NMSQT taking place on October 24, 2018. Reminder
1. The PSAT/NMSQT it is the only qualifying test for the National Merit Scholarship program.
2. It's the only pretest that awards students national scholarship through organizations like Hispanic Scholarship Fund, Greenhouse Scholars, Horatio Alger Association, Ron Brown Scholarship Program, Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation and more.
3. It's the only practice test to offer a customized Khan Academy tutorial for FREE. According to College Board, students that used the FREE customized tutorial (provided to students on their PSAT/NMSQT score sheet) for up to 6 or more hours increased their SAT scores by a range of 60-200 points.
CHS students must sign up this week 9/24-9/28 to secure a spot for the October 24th test date. GO TO... TotalRegistration.net/PSAT/030045, THEN... pay at the bookstore, FINALLY...sign up for REMIND (class code @dfebh4). OR visit the CHS PSAT website for more details.
All college visits will take place in the CHS College & Career Center, unless otherwise specified. Students should sign up outside of the College & Career Center to attend a presentation. They will receive a pass in class on the day of the presentation.
· Chandler Gilbert Community College- Mon, Sept. 24 at 8:45am
· Tufts University (Medford, MA)- Mon, Sept. 24 at 10:00am
· Marines- Tues, Sept. 25 at 8:30am
· Mesa Community College- Thurs, Sept. 27 at 8:30am
· Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)- Fri, Sept. 28 at 8:00am
· University of Tampa- Fri, Oct. 19 at 9:45am
· New York University (NYU)- Tues, Oct. 23 at 8:45
· Azusa Pacific University (CA)- Tues, Oct. 23 at 9:45
· Whitworth University (Spokane, WA)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 7:45am
· Spelman College (Atlanta, GA)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 8:30am
· Conservatory of Recording Arts and Sciences (CRAS- Tempe, AZ)- Wed, Oct. 24 at 10:00am
· Washington State University- Thurs, Oct. 25 at 8:30am
· UC Berkeley (CA)- Thurs, Oct. 25 at 9:30am
· University of Arizona- Thurs, Nov. 1 at 8:30am
CHANDLER CARE CENTER THANKSGIVING REGISTRATION
PATHWAY TO GRADUATION
On September 1st the new School Cents Program was launched with some great opportunities for CHS to earn money for our Positive Referral Program!
It’s easy! Between September 1st and March 31st, shop, dine or watch a movie. Log receipts online 24/7 at shoppingpartnership.com/chandler. If you do not need your receipts returned, you may instead drop them in the CHS collection box located on the Upper Level bridge near Barnes & Noble.
This September dine at any Chandler Fashion Center restaurant or eatery to earn CHS Quadruple the normal points!
Visit shopchandlerfashioncenter.com to view your dining and shopping options.