By: Toni Cade Bambara
- The girl Squeaky is the fastest in her school. She has brother named Raymond. If anyone has something to say about Raymond you have to go to Squeaky. As she is wlaking down the street doing her breathing excersises Gretchen walks up to her and starts talking smack about the may day race. When the may day race comes around no one knows who won. While they were waiting for the winner to be annouced she sees raymond running and she thinks he can be a good runner. it turns out the winner is Squeaky. But both girls turn and look at eachother respectfully.
Central Conflict and Resolution
- The central conflict was Squeaky and Gretchen fighting over who was faster.
- The Resolution was the May Day Race when Squeaky beat Gretchen. Some of the reasons she beat her was Squeaky got in that zone that you get into before a sport activity, she was very comfident, and she is very fast.
Protagonist And Antagonist
- The Protagonist was Squeaky.
- The Antagonist was Gretchen.
My Inference is that Squecky stops runnuing and coachs raymond to run. ". And I’m smiling to beat the band cause if I’ve lost this race, or if me and Gretchen tied, or even if I’ve won, I can always retire as a runner and begin a whole new career as a coach with Raymond as my champion. "
The theme is to always respect your competitor. At the end they look at each other and smile respectfully.