Today's Topic: TWITTER
Let's do this thing
Feedback Form: What Supports Will you Need?
Here's the thing: We're NOT talking about Twitter
So, what ARE we talking about?
- One of many resources used for sharing and learning
- A tool for your own professional development
- Further down the line, a tool to use with your classes and students
- It might not be for everyone
Let's Dive in
Lots of tweets in the last few weeks
How have you used Twitter?
Nothing yet? You'll have something by the end of today!
Briefly Back to Basics
tweets - 140 character messages
twitter handle - your twitter username
reply - tweeting back a person with a comment or question
direct message - a message sent to just one person on twitter (private)
retweet (RT) - tweeting a message again and maybe adding a comment, thought, or additional question. If a follower retweets your message then all of their followers will see the message that you wrote.
modified tweet (MT) - retweeting a message but changing something in the tweet
timeline/news feed - a long stream that shows all the tweets of the people that you follow
followers - someone who will receive all of the tweets that you send out
following - people that will show up on your timeline and you make the choice of who to follow
hashtags - a word or phrase with # at the front. You can sort messages by different hashtags.
PLN - Personal Learning Network
Let's Talk about Hashtags
- A way to navigate through Twitter - it unifies tweets
- Think of it like a TV channnel
- Use it to search on a topic
- Use it when you post to have it included on that "channel"
Enough Talk :: Time to Play
Tweet out a message
Include #stgabrielsatx in the message!
Find hashtags you want to follow
is.gd/edtags (make a shorter URL?)
Learn something by searching Twitter
Start with a keyword or a hashtag