BAMS Staff Newsletter
October 4, 2015 - Volume 3, Issue 5
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2016, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing rubric score from the September 2015 opinion writing rubric score.
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets/Lesson Goals for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
Still HELP WANTED - Please consider helping with these opportunities.
- Veteran's Day Leadership - Theresa Galligan is willing to help you with this.
- BAMS Historical Timeline - Continue the timeline through the present like we have in our main hallway.
- Honor's Reception Leadership - Connie Gross is willing to help you with this.
- BAMS Got Talent Leadership - Adam Micke is willing to help you with this.
- Data Warehouse Leadership - Design a collection tool for all of our behavioral/academic data to be housed in one Google Doc.
News and Notes
- 100% Test Participation for STAR - Thank you for your efforts with our STAR assessments. We met our goal of 100% participation. We have a pretty solid track record to meeting goals we set for ourselves. Thank you!
- I put the Awesome forms for this period in your mailbox. I will be collecting new forms for the next adult drawing. Congratulation to Adam Micke for having the Golden Stapler. Way to Be Awesome! Continue to look for the awesome things adults are doing in our building. Also, don't forget to email me photos for the wall in the cafeteria.
- Writing Samples - Thank you for working to score the first round of writing samples. One grade level has already turned their scores into me. Please have those completed by October 9th. Contact me if you have an issue with meeting this deadline.
- The Data Wall in the Team Room is starting to take shape. Remember, all of our current and past data is in the file cabinet. All RtI folders are also accessable to you in the Team Room.
- Do you have students with missing work? Do you have students that are failing your class? What is your next step? - Talk to your teammates or refer to our Student Support Process. I have been hearing about many contact to parents and conversations with students, great practice!
- The administrative team has decided to have another lockdown drill some time in the near future. The drill date and time will not be announced. You'll get directions during the drill to help guide what your actions are. Be prepared for this. Keep thinking about our ALICE training and all of the options you have in lockdown situations.
Out of the Office
- October 6th - 9-11:30am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- October 7th - 7:45-8:45am - District Wide ELL Meeting - Cafe
- October 13th - 9:30-11:30am - Admin Team Meeting - DMR
- October 14th - BCT Team Meeting 8:30-9:30, Team Room
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- Smile at an individual if you are within 10 feet of them.
- Say hello to an individual if you are within 5 feet of them.
- The Oriole Way Team routinely reviews building wide behavioral data. We use this data to drive reteaching and improvements. The building BCT Team and grade level teams will review individual behavioral data when student concerns arise.
- NEXT Meeting - October 7th, 7am
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
To Do List
- First Round of Student Surveys - Due by October 15th
- Complete Survey Growth Plan - Due October 15th
- Finalize PPG and SLO - Due by October 15th *I had the 30th before, but
- Make 2 Professional Visits to Another Classroom - Due by End of Year
Click Here for a link to Teacher Effectiveness Info from CESA 6
Click Here for a Teacher Effectiveness Calendar for EDUCATORS/SPECIALISTS
Dates to Remember
- October 5-9 - Homecoming Week
- October 8 - Geocaching Field Trip - 8th Grade - 7:30am-12:30pm
- October 8 - Homecoming Pep Assembly 1:45pm
- October 16 - Cave of the Mounds Field Trip - 8th Grade - 7am-3:15pm
- October 19 - BAMS Medal of Excellence Names to Jennifer
- October 19 - PT Conferences 3pm-7pm
- October 20 - Student Flu Clinic - AM
- October 21 - PT Conferences 3pm-6:30pm
- October 23 - No Students - Inservice
- October 26 - School Board Meeting 7pm
- October 29 - Staff Flu Clinic
- October 30 - PBIS Celebration - Costume Party/Scary Movie
- October 30 - First Quarter Pep Assembly 1:45pm
- October 30 - School Dance #1 - 6-8pm, BAMS Gymnasium
- October 30 - End of First Quarter
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.
Homecoming Week - October 5-9
- Monday - Gender Swap Day - regular schedule day
- Tuesday - Tacky Tourist Day - block day - odds
- Wednesday - Super Hero Day - block day - evens
- Thursday - Sports/Team Day - early release day - BAMS Pep Assembly 1:45pm
- Friday - Orange/Black Day - regular schedule day
*Thank you to the Oriole Leaders for planning the fun activities!!