5th Grade News
December 11, 2015
Winter Party, Thursday, Dec. 17 from 10:05-11:05am
We need your help with making these celebrations a success!
Here's the big picture - each party will have:
1) Snack Station (decorating sugar cookies)
2) Dance Party (music and dancing)
3) Arts and Crafts (see attached pic for example)
Here's what we need your help with:
1) Snack donations
2) Craft supply donations
3) Parent volunteers to set-up
4) Parent volunteers to help during the parties
5) Parent volunteers to clean up
Here is the 4th/5th Grade SignUp Genius link to make it easy for parents to sign up to help. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0B4EADA923A75-4thand
We need as many parents as possible to participate in some way. Please consider donating supplies and your time as we want to make sure that all of our students have spectacular winter celebrations this year! We need all donations the day before the party.
If you have questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!
Themed Days Next Week:
- Mon., Dec. 14- Candy Cane Day (wear red & white)
- Tues., Dec. 15- Grinch Day (wear green)
- Wed., Dec. 16- Ugly Sweater Day & PDQ Spirit Night 4-8 pm
- Thurs., Dec. 17- Snowflake Day & Winter Party 10:05-11:05 & Winter Concert 7 pm - Titled- Snow Way Out *Students should arrive at 6:30 pm and report to their homeroom unless otherwise notified. Students are asked to dress in holiday colors. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fri., Dec. 18-Jingle Bell Day
- NO SCHOOL Dec. 21- Jan. 1
Encore!! Field Trip Information
The 5th grade Field Trip is to Charleston, SC on February 10-11, 2016 (that is a Wednesday and Thursday). The total cost of this trip is $275. We will spend 2 days and 1 night in historic Charleston.
*The online payment feature is not yet up and running for the Charleston Trip. We will email you as soon as it is available.**
Important Dates: (some dates changed)
- Tuesday, Dec. 15- Pick up Fundraiser Items sold at Parkside (3:30-5:30)
- Monday, Jan. 11- First payment due ($175)
- Monday, Feb. 1- Final payment due ($100)
- Tuesday, Feb. 2- Mandatory Packing Meeting (meet the chaperones)
- 5:45 am on Feb. 10- begin boarding charter buses from Parkside parking lot :0)
Math- Fractions + & -
Fractions are the bulk of the 5th Grade Math EOG and knowing their multiplication facts makes this easier. Please continue to practice multiplication facts at home.
English Language Arts (Reading)
Please make sure your child is still reading a fiction book for enjoyment and jotting nightly. This book should come back and forth from school to home daily. Remind them to log their reading on Biblionasium daily.
Science- Heat Transfer
This week we finished up our unit on Heat Transfer. Today we took our unit test. We will beginning our Weather Unit next week.
I will be posting the vocabulary for the Weather Unit on my Weebly next week. To practice vocabulary words, I would suggest creating vocabulary flash cards with the word on the front and the definition with examples on the back to promote further understanding.