Moving to Kuala Lumpur
Most of the people speak English but I'm probably going to learn Malay, which is the official language.
I will explore areas and assess if the area has oil and/or gas then do all the appropriate geophysical work to be able to enter that area and drill for the oil.
I will also assess the factors controlling the distribution and accumulation of the oil through geophysical and geological data.
Average annual salary is about 139,905 MYR which is equivalent to 43,900 US Dollars.
What's It Like in Malaysia?
- Very tropical, like summer everyday.
- If you live in the city, it is very modern with lots of sightseeing places like the Petronas Towers "Twin Towers" (pictured at top)
- Malaysia has lots of nice beaches, mountains, caves, and jungles. So if you ever feel the need to go exploring one day, you'll never be disappointed.
- They drive on the left side of the road.
- You have to point at things with your thumb, not your finger.
- It is common to show up to a function or party a little late.
- Usually you are asked to take off your shoes when entering a home.
- The head is viewed as the most sacred part of the body so it's best to not touch the top of anyone's head or to passing objects over it.
- Direct eye contact is favorable, but overly direct eye contact is seen as suspicious and threatening.
- Use your right arm to receive or give an object.
Normally, cost of living is cheaper than Houston.
I'll probably take public transportation for a year or two first and save up money for a car because they are very expensive. Public transportation is fairly cheap and I think I can deal with that.
Where I will work
Where I'll live
Bukit Bintang Shopping Strip
Plenty of places to shop, eat, or just explore and take in.