The Grizzly Growl
Dear Grassfield High School Families,
On behalf of the faculty, staff, and administration of Grassfield High School, Happy New Year to one and all! We remain committed to continuing our tradition of academic excellence and school success. As we move towards the end of semester one, we thank all of our school community members who are working hard to continue to build a Community of Excellence filled with Grizzly Pride. We are also excited to welcome 2023, as our senior class prepares for their final semester of high school, embracing the Grizzly Way with the end goal of graduating in June ready for EMPLOYMENT, ENLISTMENT or ENROLLMENT.
Please review the information enclosed for important information regarding exams, testing, and the school calendar. The January 2023 school calendar includes a combination of 11 in-person days, 4 asynchronous SOL testing days (January 12-13, 19-20), 2 teacher workdays (January 30-31), an early release day for students (January 27) and a school holiday January 16 in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Please refer to our website and our social media sites on Twitter and Instagram for the latest and most up to date information and events. Thank you for your support, and as always, Go Grizzlies!
Proud To Be a Grizzly,
Important: Attendance Waiver Process
Attendance Waiver Frequently Asked Questions
Use these tips to make completing and submitting an Attendance Waiver easy!
Who Needs to File? Any student who has 10 or more absences in any semester course or 19 or more absences in a full-year course in which 9 of those absences occurred the current semester. This includes ALL absences (excused and/or unexcused): COVID absences, excused absences, unexcused absences, unexcused verified absences, and out of school suspensions.
How do I know how many absences my student has? Attendance information can be found in ParentVue and StudentVue under the ATTENDANCE tab. Parents and students can also click on the DOCUMENT tab to access the Attendance Letter: Loss of Credit for the semester (Sem1 or Sem2).
When are parents to submit Attendance Waiver Forms and to whom? Attendance Waiver Forms and supportive documents should be submitted ASAP to Mr. Close in the Main Office or via email to email@example.com .
What if my child's attendance is inaccurate? Please have your child discuss their attendance record with his/her teacher. If a correction needs to be made, that teacher will email the Attendance Office to adjust the block attendance record. If the issue is not resolved, then reach out to the Attendance Clerk to help resolve the issue. Be sure to provide the attendance office with the documentation necessary to inform the change.
Where and how do I file a waiver request? The Attendance Waiver Request form can be found in ParentVue and StudentVue under the DOCUMENT tab. Once students and parents open this tab, they are to locate the Attendance Letter: Loss of Credit for the semester (Sem1 or Sem2). There is a link to the form within the letter. A copy is also placed on the GHS website under the "students" tab. Here is a link to the form: Attendance Waiver Request Form.
Documentation: You can provide documents you have not already submitted to the attendance office through the waiver request form process. It is highly recommended to provide medical documentation and official supportive documents such as court order to appear along with your application, especially if you did not submit any at the time of your student's absence.
But my child's absences were excused or my child was forced to quarantine...why do I need to file? The Virginia Department of Education requires a minimum seat time amount per course in order for your student to pass the course in a high school with block scheduling. This is not a CPS mandated policy, but a VDOE policy. We offer the attendance waiver in cases of extenuating circumstances.
PTSA and Fundraising Highlights
Student Membership Drive is ON!
Students wishing to join the PTSA by January 17, 2023 will have their name entered into a drawing to win their first bell class Donuts for Breakfast! Any student who has already joined will be automatically entered into the contest. Seniors must be a member of our PTSA by January 31, 2023 to be eligible to win a PTSA Scholarship. The cost to be a member is $7.00.
Become a member at the link below:
Or you may pay cash or check( GHS PTSA) in the main office with Mrs. Wecht
The Governor's STEM Academy News
STEM ACADEMY SHOWCASE
Wed, Jan 18, 2023, 06:00 PM
MESSAGES FOR OUR MILITARY
Calling All Military Families!
Are you a military spouse? Is your spouse currently deployed or preparing to deploy? Please Contact Sheaa@magellanfederal.com to provide information as Grassfield High School will be working on care packages to send during the month of November.
From the Nurse's Desk
Attention Junior Parents,
MEN ACYW-meningococcal vaccination is required for 12th grade entry. One dose at age 16 or older should be provided by the parent to the school nurse, in order for your child to attend their senior year. We are asking that you share a record of this documentation with your school nurse, as soon as your child has received this vaccination. If your child received this vaccination prior to the age of 16, they will need a second dose after the age of 16, which must be turned in. This is a Virginia state regulation that we must abide by. Your understanding and cooperation is greatly appreciated by your school nurse. You may contact the clinic with any questions
Grassfield High School Nurse
Lena Stasse, RN
Parents and Students,
If you have a need or desire to move to the Chesapeake Virtual Academy for the spring semester, the CVA application is now accessible on the CVA website. Please reach out to your counselor if you have questions or need to discuss the CVA application process.
End of Fall Semester
The end of the Fall semester is January 27th. Please check Synergy for updated grades and Schoology for verifying completed assignments and missed work. Communicate with teachers now as we close out this semester.
Fri, Jan 27, 2023, 04:00 PM
News from ACCESS
Grizzlies please visit Mr. Kelly's Virtual Office for wonderful resources and to sign up for an appointment.
SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO:
· Follow Mr. Kelly on Remind
· Complete college applications
· Review scholarship opportunities-- Mr. Kelly's suggestion is that seniors approach applying for scholarships like a FIFTH class!!
· Not sure if college is your next step? Let's discuss other possible possibilities
· Please fill out the Access Fee Waiver & Release Form to be eligible for waivers to take the SAT, ACT, apply to colleges, AP test, and to apply for the eligibility center to play sports.
The countdown to graduation is on so let's make sure we are utilizing all available resources!
· Follow Mr. Kelly on Remind
· Check this out Preparing for College Junior Checklist
· Visit Mr. Kelly's Junior Class Lobby
· Internship possibilities Next Gen- Pathways
January Scholarship Information
Could your high school students use money for college? Spread the word about the Live Más Scholarship from the Taco Bell Foundation! The application is a simple, two-minute video where students explain a passion they have. No grades required!
How Students Can Apply:
- Head over to the Live Más Scholarship website to start the application with some background questions.
- Film a short video explaining your passion and how you're pursuing it! (No tech skills required. You can even use a phone.)
- Submit your application to be considered for scholarships up to $25,000!
Make sure your high school students don't miss this opportunity for a scholarship to help them pursue their passions!
- The Chesapeake P.E.A.R.L.S. Foundation, Incorporated is a 501(c)(3) non-profit entity established by the members of the Omicron Pi Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. One mission of the Foundation is to advance and support education by providing underserved students with the financial assistance needed to attend college.
- We are pleased to offer graduating Seniors of Chesapeake Public Schools an opportunity to apply for a scholarship up to $5,000. Scholarship funds will be awarded directly to the recipient once college enrollment is verified. The deadline to apply for The Chesapeake P.E.A.R.L.S. Foundation, Incorporated Scholarship is Wednesday, January 11, 2023. Please distribute the attached scholarship application to every graduating Senior in Chesapeake Public Schools.
Pathways Flight Academy- Free Summer High School Flight Academy
- Application submission will be available January 2023
Academy Information and Application
- The PLA was established by Robert B. Pamplin, (Sr. and Robert B. Pamplin, Jr. to acknowledge students who demonstrate superior intellectual promise, academic performance, dedication to their communities, interest and success in physical fitness and health and unimpeachable integrity.
- The PLA is a one year, merit- based $5,000 Virginia Tech scholarship presented to up to forty qualified students from Virginia's public high schools. Each schools' one nominee must have a 3.8 or better GPA. The application is online through Virginia Tech's Scholarship Central site, which is only available to students once they submit their undergraduate admission application. Students who accept this award must also agree to join the Honors College and work toward an Honors Laureate Diploma.
- NOTE: Each public high school in Virginia is allowed only one candidate. Applicants, once identified by their school, may apply online. There is a question asking for the counselor's name and email address. Instructions will be sent to the counselor via email, who must verify the student is the school’s nominee. Applicants will not be considered if the high school does not validate the student as its candidate.
- After completing the information below, your interest and submission as a potential nominee ( Pamplin Leadership Award Submission ) for the Pamplin Leadership Award will be reviewed and a Grassfield nominee will be selected. The deadline to complete the information below is January 20, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.
Virginia Boys State- Juniors
- Virginia Boys State provides the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in one of three areas of government. Participants cultivate leadership skills and develop pride in American citizenship. Please carefully review eligibility and other pertinent information at VA Boys State . The upcoming 80th session is scheduled June 18-24, 2023 at Radford University.
- GFHS point of contact: Mrs. Sharpe firstname.lastname@example.org
Please continue to check Scholarshipvue for current scholarship opportunities!
ALL THINGS ATHLETICS
Winter Sports Teams are in Full Action in January
Spring Sports Tryouts
Spring Sports tryouts begin on Monday, February 20th. Anyone interested in trying out for spring sports must have a completed VHSL physical on file or turned into the coach at tryouts. Grassfield will not be hosting sports physicals prior to tryouts. For more information about specific sports please email the coach. All of the coaches emails can be found on the school website under "athletics".