Activities and Events at Sunset HS
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
You’re invited to:
· PTO Meeting on the 2nd Monday of the month, 7:00 p.m. (SHS Community Room) Please, join us to learn more about how to support Sunset students and staff through Sunset’s Parent Teacher Organization (PTO): http://sunsetpto.com/. All Sunset families are welcome!
· Picture Make-up Day - 9/16, during both lunches - 10:50 - 1:00 p.m. (A hall Commons) If your student missed picture day and getting a student ID card you can stop by the A- hall commons during both lunches. Picture order forms are available in the main office. Purchase a ASB sticker for $20 at the business office and it can be applied to the student ID card.
· Future Apollo Night - Friday, September 20 - Football field Gates open at 6 p.m.
Come join the fun! SHS vs. Southridge Varsity Football game - Free admission for kids 8th grade and younger, with a paying adult. Free string backpacks for the first 300 Future Apollos! Come enjoy the band, cheer squad, dance team, and football game!
· PTO Volunteer Orientation -- 9/27, 9:00 a.m. Please join us for our Volunteer Orientation Friday, September 27th in the Community Room. Though not mandatory, these meetings are a great place to hear from our Principal and learn about the numerous day & nighttime volunteer opportunities coming up. Be sure to add Sunset High School to your volunteer preferences on www.myimpactpage.com . If you are not receiving emails about volunteer please contact email@example.com. Also, if you have not registered to volunteer & finished your background check yet, please go to https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/departments/communications-community-involvement/volunteer to register.
· Back-to-School Night – 10/3, 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. Learn about Sunset academics and your child’s classes. More information will be sent home soon.
· October Teen Topic Conversations - 10/8, 2019, from 7:30 am - 8:30 amYou are invited to attend our October Teen Topic Conversations. Join us for coffee and this unique opportunity as the Sunset Counseling Staff host local expert Dr. Erica Aten. Dr. Aten works at Portland Anxiety Clinic in their Intensive Outpatient Program, which is a specialized treatment program focused on the use of evidence-based treatments to help individuals who suffer from OCD, social fears, panic, traumatic stress, tics, body-focused repetitive behaviors, depressive symptoms, and other anxiety and mood-related conditions. Dr. Aten's presentation will cover the biological underpinnings of anxiety, an overview of "normal" anxiety versus excessive anxiety, symptoms/signs of anxiety, ways to support your child during times of anxiety and panic, and resources.
· College visits start this month. Many college representatives come to Sunset to share information about their school. Many of these representatives are often the first to review applications. List of colleges visiting is posted on the College & Career Center website and is being updated regularly: https://sunset.beaverton.k12.or.us/academics/college-and-career-center. Stop by the College & Career Center to learn more and sign-up.
· BSD 12th Grade College and Post HS Planning Night -- 9/18, 6:00-8 p.m. Seniors from across the district are invited to this first BSD college and career night. This one takes place at Sunset. The same presentation will be made on 9/19 at 6:00 p.m. at Beaverton High School. For additional information, stop by the College & Career Center or visit the school website: https://sunset.beaverton.k12.or.us/academics/college-and-career-center/college-information, or BSD website: https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/departments/student-services/school-counseling/career-and-college-readiness
· Portland Metro Area Financial Aid Presentation -- 9/28, 10 a.m. The University of Portland’s Office of Financial Aid will again be hosting our annual Portland Metro Area High School Financial Aid Presentation (at UP campus). Unlike the traditional financial aid nights, this presentation is on the weekend so more students and families can attend. They will provide a comprehensive financial aid presentation for high school seniors and their families preparing them for the 2020-21 aid year. Juniors and younger are welcome to attend, but the presentation will be geared towards seniors.
· Senior Class Meeting with Jostens (Cap and Gown and grad gear). 10/1, 1:00 p.m. - Auditorium
· Senior Letter of Recommendation Packet and Scholarships. If your student is considering colleges that use the Common Application or that require a consolidated letter of recommendation from their high school, be sure to read through the Senior Letter of Recommendation documents. For a copy of the Counselor recommendation packet, stop by the Counseling Office or check Canvas.
· It’s time to sign-up for the Grad Night Party! The 2019/2020 school is year is officially underway at Sunset High School! Graduation seems so far away but it will be here before we know it and we have already started planning, fundraising, and promoting the Senior Grad Party. The party is annual event that offers Sunset High School’s newest graduates a safe, drug-free and alcohol-free event to celebrate their exciting high school graduation. The party goes “all night” and includes transportation to and rom the venue, delicious food, and a wide rand of fun activities planned to appeal to a variety of student interests. We want all of our graduates to attend, regardless of their ability to pay.
· The Senior Grad Party is a long time tradition at SHS and an excellent way to continue celebrating with friends in a safe and substance free environment.
- Registrations are now being accepted. Please follow the link to the necessary registration forms and waivers at: https://sites.google.com/site/sunsetapollosgradparty/forms-online-registration. Buy your ticket by 9/30 and get a $10 discount. If you need financial assistance, please see your counselor for details.
- Parents, for online payments or if you would like to make a donation to help a student in need, please follow this link: https://sites.google.com/site/sunsetapollosgradparty/online-paymentsdonations.
- We also want to encourage anyone who would like to be involved to check out our website for meeting times and volunteer opportunities: https://sites.google.com/site/sunsetapollosgradparty/home.
- Help support this amazing event by participating in our fundraisers and follow us on social media. https://sites.google.com/site/sunsetapollosgradparty/fundraisers. Follow us on Facebook: SHS Grad Party 2020. Follow us on Twitter: @shsapollosparty. Follow us on Instagram: sunsetapollosgradparty
· YEARBOOK INFORMATION FOR 2020 GRADUATES. It is time to be submitting both senior photos and baby and friendship ads for the yearbook. New this year, you will create your own ads online at www.yearbookforever.com (due 10/31). Choose Sunset High School and you will be walked through the process. For more details about senior photos including some student and alumni photographers, go to http://ellierozendaal.wixsite.com/rozendaalclassesshs/yearbook-information. Deadline for Senior photos is Friday, 11/6. Please feel free to contact Ellie Rozendaal (firstname.lastname@example.org), the yearbook advisor, with any questions.
Community Conversations: Speak Up 4 Student Success
The Oregon Legislature passed and the Governor signed the $2 billion Student Success Act (HB 3427) in Spring 2019. This is an historic and much needed investment in K-12 schools. The Beaverton School District could be able to access an estimated $34 million per year through a state application process.
School districts are required to apply for funds, and must engage their community in a needs assessment process prior to the application for funds. We will host a series of Community Conversations - Speak Up 4 Student Success in several locations throughout the BSD. Schools will also be engaging their communities in these conversations during September and October.
Please join us to talk about what student success looks like in the Beaverton School District? What is going well in Beaverton schools? What areas/services/programs could we improve?
Your voice matters! We welcome your perspective and opinion.
Speak Up 4 Student Success Community Conversations offered in English & Spanish:
Monday, October 7, 2019 at Stoller Middle School, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Monday, October 21, 2019 at Aloha High School, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
For more information, and to complete a Needs Assessment Survey, please visit the Student Success Act webpage.
For All Apollos:
· Nutrition Services
Remember that the 30-day Rollover Period for 2018-2019 meal benefits will end in early October. Be sure to apply TODAY so your students don’t have a lapse in benefits. Any families whose students go into “Paid” status will be responsible to pay for all meals charged in school cafeterias. Don’t let this happen to you!!
Click on the link below to go to SchoolCafe, and see all the things that you can do:
All you need is your student’s ID number. If you don’t have that, you can call your school office or the Meal Benefits line (503-356-3957). Here are some of your options in SchoolCafe:
· Create an account
· Apply for Meal Benefits
· View and print Meal Benefits letters
· See what items your student is getting in the cafeteria
· Check your student’s account balance
· View cafeteria menus
· Set up low balance alerts
· Set up auto-pay (when balance gets to an amount that YOU set, the account is replenished from your credit card)
SchoolCafe can provide amazing amounts of information! If you do not have access to a computer, you can also apply for Meal Benefits on paper. Applications are available in every school office and cafeteria .If you have questions or need help, please call Laurie Bishop at Meal Benefits, (503)356-3957 or email us at NS-MealBenefits@beaverton.k12.or.us.
· Sunset High School Counseling. Sunset’s Counseling Department works with students and families and is committed to educating the whole person in their academic development, college and career readiness, personal/social support and community engagement; and support students to fully engage in the high school experience, to select from a wide variety of post-high school options and to become life-long learners. Contacts and info can be found at: https://sunset.beaverton.k12.or.us/academics/counseling
· College and Career Center. Students and parents can find college counseling and college & career information, such as college visits, applications, scholarship list, links to college search tool and SAT/ACT test information, on the school academics website site: https://sunset.beaverton.k12.or.us/academics/college-and-career-center/college-information
• The Apollo Giving - Write a Check Campaign – Wraps up on October 3 at Back to School Night. Please help us fund needed programs, student need based scholarships, facility improvements (and much more) by donating to the Sunset PTO. For every $25 you donate you will also get an entry into a raffle to win a pair of Disneyland Park Hopper Tickets! Our drawing will take place on October 4th. We are suggesting a minimum of $50 per family this year to help us fund these amazing programs. You can donate at our table at Back to School Night, visit the Sunsetpto.com website (click on Giving) or bring/send a check to the main office. Thanks to everyone for helping us make SHS an amazing school!
· Double Your Impact – Match It! Remember to request company matching for both donations and SHS volunteer hours. Sunset PTO received over $8K in company matches last year – from companies such as Intel, Nike, and Columbia to name a few for employee volunteer hours. Thank you to everyone who requested matches as it really makes a difference to Sunset’s programs. Search for “Sunset High School PTO” to report volunteer hours on your company giving portals or make a donation and/or match request on your company portal by searching for “Sunset High School PTO Apollo Giving Program”.
· Amazon Smile Fundraiser. Support Sunset when you shop at Amazon. Access Amazon.com through https://smile.amazon.com/, choose SHS as your charitable organization, and then when you purchase items, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the purchase price to Sunset High School PTO. Your Amazon shopping experience will be exactly the same and the SHS PTO will earn money to continue to help the school. Bookmark the link http://smile.amazon.com/ch/93-0868697 and support SHS every time you shop. Sunset PTO received over $400 in donations from Amazon in the previous year through this program.
· Apollo Merchandise for Sale! Apollo merchandise will be sold Thursday and Friday during lunch hours in the Spirit Store located new at the Commons. We also have a small store next to the food concessions at all home varsity football games. And, we will have merchandise available at Back-to-School Night on 10/3. Come get your Apollo gear!
Back-to-School Events and Activities:
Below is our Sports Calendar and Events. With a student ID and ASB sticker, you will be admitted free. Other admission prices are: $6 adults, $4 students.
9/12 – Thursday
· Volleyball vs. Jesuit HS – 6:45 p.m.
· Men’s soccer vs. Century HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/16 – Monday
· Women’s soccer vs. Clackamas HS – 7:30 p.m.
· Volleyball vs. Westview HS – 6:45 p.m.
9/18 – Wednesday
· BSD Senior College Night - 6:00 p.m.
· Latino Parent Night – 6:30 p.m.
· Women’s soccer vs. Glencoe HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/17 – Thursday
· AVID Tutor Training – 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
9/20 – Friday
· Football vs. Southridge HS (Future Apollo Game) – 7:00 p.m.
9/23 – Monday
· Men’s soccer vs. West Salem HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/26 – Thursday
· Women’s soccer vs. Lakeridge HS – 7:30 p.m.
9/27 – Friday
· PTO Volunteer Orientation -- 9:00 a.m.
9/28 – Saturday
· Portland Metro Area Financial Aid Presentation @UP – 10:00 a.m.
9/30 – Monday
· Homecoming Week starts today
· Seniors: Last day to save $10 on your Grad Party registration
· Volleyball vs. Westview HS – 6:45 p.m.
10/1 - Tuesday
· Senior Class Meeting with Jostens - 1:00 p.m. Auditorium
10/3 - Thursday
· Back-to-School Night – 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.
· Apollo merchandise for sale – during Back-to-School-Night
· Last day to enter for a chance to win 4 Disney passes through SHS PTO Apollo Giving Program
· Sporting events listed here are varsity home meets/games. For a complete list of all school meets/games, including freshman/JV and “away” events, go to www.metroleague.org. Only sports sanctioned by the OSAA are included on the Metro League site.
· Activities/events listed here take place at Sunset HS unless noted otherwise. When you arrive, look for signs indicating the meeting room.
· Dates/times can change due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.