Knights' Monthly News
May 2022 Edition
Our Guiding Principles
Our Mission:At NMS, we exist to ensure Every Child learns and makes impactful choices that igKNIGHT a purposeful future.
By 2024, NMS will be a Model PLC School.
The educators at NMS believe...
Every Child will have their ARMOR ready!
Every Child will learn from collaborative educators!
Every Child will learn at high levels!
Every Child will receive differentiated academic and behavioral support!
Every Child will develop their social and emotional skills!
Every Child will be celebrated for academic and behavioral mastery AND progress!
"STAAR Testing is Here"
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Our 8th grade students have a BIG week ahead of them. All 8th graders will take their Science and Social Studies STAAR tests. In addition, about 25 8th graders will take the Algebra I EOC test.
We all know testing brings on anxiety, overthinking, second guessing, and sleepless nights.
Here are 5 tips to help your child reduce test anxiety:
- PUT TESTS INTO PERSPECTIVE - Encourage your child to do their best, but remind them that one test will not make or break their future.
- REINFORCE HEALTHY HABITS - Eat wisely, do not skip breakfast, allow naps after a good study session, and make sure your child has a restful night's sleep.
- DEVELOP CALMING STRATEGIES - Help your child get ready by making sure they have the supplies they need. Take deep breaths with them and remind them to do it before the test. Also, allow them to write whatever is on their mind the day of test or the night before.
- PROVIDE ENCOURAGEMENT - If your child voices a negative statement, counter with a positive and encouraging one. For example, "You have practiced really hard and learned a lot this year. You might know a lot of the answers and get a higher score than you are expecting. You got this!"
- VISUALIZE POSITIVE IMAGES WITH YOUR CHILD PASSING THE TEST - Be sure to share your positive expectations about them. Share with them your expectations about their future and ask them what they want to be in the future.
Here's the testing schedule:
- Tuesday, May 3rd - Algebra I EOC
- Thursday, May 5th - Science STAAR (8th Grade)
- Friday, May 6th - Social Studies STAAR (8th Grade)
- Tuesday, May 11th - Reading STAAR (6th-8th Grades)
- Wednesday, May 12th - Math STAAR (6th-8th Grades)
While 8th grades are testing this week, all students will test the following week. Please use this week and next to encourage your child and make sure they are on campus for each test.
Your igKNIGHTed Principal,
Dr. HP Hyder, III
Car Rider Safety
Please do not use the staff/visitor parking areas on either side of the traffic circle to drop off or pick up students. It's not safe, and recently we've had some close calls that have nearly resulted in student injuries. It may be less convenient to wait in line at the front of the school, but convenience is not our primary goal during drop off and pick up. Safety is. In the future, staff members will be having conversations with any families who continue to use the staff/visitor parking areas for drop off or pick up.
Thank you for your cooperation!
2022-2023 Mass Physicals Information
Attention all Northbrook and YES Prep students interested in playing sports next year. Spring Branch ISD will be having free physicals on Saturday, May 7th at Northbrook Middle School from 8:00 am – 1:00 pm. All students who play sports in middle school and high school or who participate in Marching Band MUST have a physical from a doctor in order to participate. Please meet in front of the school by the flag poles at 9:15 am. If your student does not have a ride, there will be a bus circling the Northbrook Middle attendance zone to bring kids to NMS for physicals and take them back home. Students interested in getting a physical must go see a coach prior to May 7th to pick up the necessary forms. Thank you.
In order to participate, you must have the following completed:
- Physical Form signed and filled out by a Doctor
- Rank One Online Paperwork (click here) https://springbranchisd.rankonesport.com/New/NewInstructionsPage.aspx
If you have any questions or issues, please reach out to your coaches ASAP! If we don’t know what’s wrong, we can’t help you!
Atención a todos los estudiantes de Northbrook y YES Prep interesados en practicar deportes el proximo año. Spring Branch ISD tendrá exámenes físicos gratuitos el sábado 7 de mayo en la escuela secundaria Northbrook de 8:00 a. m. a 1:00 p. m. Todos los estudiantes que practican deportes en la escuela intermedia y secundaria o que participan en Marching Band DEBEN tener un examen físico de un médico para poder participar. Reúnase frente a la escuela junto a los postes de bandera a las 9:15 am. Si su estudiante no tiene transporte, habrá un autobús que circule por la zona de asistencia de Northbrook Middle para llevar a los niños a NMS para exámenes físicos y llevarlos de vuelta a casa. Los estudiantes interesados en hacerse un examen físico deben ir a ver a un entrenador antes del 7 de mayo para recoger los formularios necesarios. Gracias.
Para poder jugar, debes completar lo siguiente:
- Formulario físico firmado y llenado por un médico
- Rank One Online Paperwork (click here) https://www.springbranchisd.com/fs/resource-manager/view/5f85d433-2518-4b80-b192-73add7f53ba6
Si tiene alguna pregunta o problema, comuníquese con sus entrenadores lo antes posible. Si no sabemos lo que está mal, ¡no podemos ayudarlo!
ATTENTION RETURNING STUDENTS
If your child is returning to an SBISD school next year, you are required to complete the "Returning Student Verification" documents located in the Skyward Family Access. If you need assistance with accessing these documents, please contact Ms. Cordova, our Attendance Clerk, at 713.251.4105.
Thank you in advance for making sure your child is ready for the 2022-2023 school year!
Accessing Your Child's STAAR Scores
Here are the step-by-step directions for logging into Skyward:
- Login onto Skyward Family Access and locate the "Online Forms" tab on the left hand side. NOTE: You must access it through a web browser. The mobile app will NOT work for this.
- Open the Online Forms tab.
- The form listed in Step 1, "STAAR Student Unique Access Code and Link," will show the Student Portal Code (called the Unique Access Code in Skyward).
- Use the link to visit the Student Portal and enter the provided STAAR Portal Access Code and your child's date of birth to view your child's STAAR results.
If you have questions or need assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the school at 713.251.4100.
2020-2021 Campus Reports
If you have questions about these reports or would like a hard copy, please contact the school.
Our ARMOR Models
Please help us make sure your child is dressed in his/her ARMOR every day before he/she leaves home. Nothing can stand in the way of a KNIGHT in his/her shining ARMOR.
May 2022 Happenings @ NMS
Week of May 2nd - Teacher Appreciation Week
- Your child's teachers are invaluable and deserve recognition for all they do. Please send them a positive email or note letting them know how much they mean to you and your child.
- Monday, May 2nd - STAAR Pep Rally
- Tuesday, May 3rd - Algebra I EOC Testing & Spring Orchestra Concert @ 6:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 4th - Progress Reports Go Home
- Thursday, May 5th - Science STAAR Testing
- Friday, May 6th - Social Studies STAAR Testing
- Saturday, May 7th - Election Day & FREE Athletic Physicals @ 8 am-1 pm - Northbrook HS
Week of May 9th
- Wednesday, May 11th - Reading STAAR Testing
- Thursday, May 12th - Math STAAR Testing
Week of May 16th
- Monday, May 16th - School Connectedness Survey Window Opens for Students and Parents
- Tuesday, May 17th - Chromebooks Collection Begins
- Wednesday, May 18th - AttenDANCE for Students with Perfect Attendance from May 2nd through May 17th
- Thursday, May 19th - 7th Grade Field Trip
- Friday, May 20th - Performing Arts & 6th Grade Field Trips & 8th Grade Dance @ 6 pm-8 pm
Week of May 23rd - Last Week of School
- Monday, May 23rd - 8th Grade Field Trip
- Tuesday, May 24th - Early Release @ 12:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 25th - Early Release @ 12:30 pm
- Thursday, May 26th - LAST DAY OF SCHOOL & Early Release @ 12:30 pm
- Doors open @ 7:45 am for car riders and walkers. Please do not drop off your child before this time as there is no adult supervision.
- All students are required to wear their ID badges every day.
- All students must be in uniform every day.
- All students must turn off and stow their cell phones in their backpacks during the school day.
- Breakfast is served from 7:45 am - 8:15 am.
- Dismissal begins @ 3:55 pm.
Every Day Items
Reporting COVID Positive Cases
We understand that you may have reservations about sharing this sensitive information. Please know that all information shared will remain confidential and will only be shared with individuals who have a need to know.
Knight Noteworthy Nuggets
A HUGE THANK YOU goes to our 6th grade families who made sure their future 7th graders have their required immunizations. We are ending the school year with 83% of our future 7th graders fully vaccinated. We APPRECIATE you for helping us maintain a healthy learning environment for all.
HIP HIP HOORAY to our families for making sure their children are attending school every day! Our attendance has increased over the last few weeks! Please continue to encourage your child to attend school daily!
"Believe in yourself and all that you are. Know that there is something inside you that is greater than any obstacle."
– Christian D. Larson