The Stamp Act
March 22, 1765
What was it?
- The Stamp Act was passed by the Parliament of Great Britain.
- It put tax on many paper materials used in the colonies
- The printed materials were produced in London and carried a revenue stamp
- The tax had to be paid to England in British currency
- Purpose was to help pay for troops in North America after the British victory
- The Stamp Act was very unpopular among the colonists
- The Americans said there was no military need for the soldiers
- Colonists claimed they could protect themselves from Native Americans
- They also suggested that the tax would not be used the way it was said to be
- The tax was so hated by the colonists that it was eventually eliminated