VOLUNTEERING in PROYECTO ABRAHAM
IN MURCIA (SPAIN)
VOLUNTEERING FOR SOCIAL INCLUSION
A long-term EVS project to be held from September 2020 until the 9th of August 2020 (6 months).
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
“Abraham Project” Association offers full support to the migrants, minors and all persons at risk of social exclusion. Born in 1997, Association “Abraham Project” develop its actions in Region of Murcia, with the aim to foster the social action and the protection of the natural environment. From the beginning, “Abraham Project” Association helping all the persons with the status of migrant and/or the conditions of alcoholics, transient, unemployed, etc. People that are suffering serious social exclusion problems and that they suffer a lack of economical, personal and social resources to face their difficulties.
The objectives of the association are:
1. To disseminate the results of the activities carrying out by the association in the social, cultural, labour and educational areas;
2. To give speech and to do concrete action against racism, xenophobia and any action that can cause a human rights violation;
3. To promote the employment and the socio-cultural integration;
4. To enhance the encounter between different villages through the development of various cultural events;
5. To support the intercultural exchange, fostering the coexistence between different collective of people, as well as the recovery and the promotion of folk traditions, especially those that belong at the Region of Murcia, and the specific ones aspects of each nationalities that characterize the members of the association;
6. To centralize the re-collection of solid waste, clothing, shoes, toys, paper, scrap metal, furniture, appliances and all kinds of material that can be reused, recycled and/or recovered, with the subsequent sale in shops, markets or sending/selling to the Third World countries.
7. To fight against unemployment, social exclusion, xenophobia, racism and any other circumstances that override the dignity of the person and create process of marginalization.
8. To consolidate the multi-ethnic and intercultural group, formed by the members of the association, as a resource to promote the social integration.
9. To support transient and immigrants, promoting their social integration through the development of different activities.
FRAMEWORK OF THE PROJECT
The “Abraham Project” Association works with people excluded from the society or at risk of social exclusion. The Association develop its activities in the whole Region of Murcia, but the headquarter of the association, that host people at risk of social exclusion and one of the shops, is located in Puente Tocinos, a little town belonging to the City of Murcia. The infrastructures used to the separation of waste are located in Lorquí and in La Union. The Association has another store located in Caravaca de la Cruz. In addition, the Association carry out itinerant socio-occupational workshops in all the municipalities of the Region of Murcia.
The area where the volunteer will develop its activities will be between Puente Tocinos and Mula, where the association give educational support to the minors, members of the families with low economic income. However, the volunteers who participate in our project have the opportunity to know all the areas and the sectors in which the association works, take part in the general organization of the activities, always accompanied by one person who work in the association. The volunteer activities will be focused primarily on housing and school support of the people at risk of social exclusion. In this way, we believe that both the volunteer and the direct beneficiaries can contribute to the mutual learning.
The volunteer will develop the activities principally, in the host house (Puente Tocinos, Murcia) and in the city of Mula.
In Puente Tocinos there are the main offices principally directed to offer social services to the members of the Association. In this centre, we are facilitating some of our socio-occupational workshops and the accommodation of the people at risk of social exclusion. Also in the town of Puente Tocinos, there is a small shop and other offices where the internal and administrative works are carrying out.
In the town of Mula, the Association offer the school support to children aged between 10 and 15 years old.
Both areas present high concentration of families vulnerable to the social exclusion. People with low economic income and limited opportunities to guarantee its personal and collective development.
The volunteer will have the chance to know all the action developed in the “Abraham Project”. During the first phase of the volunteer period, the volunteer will observe how the association develop its activities, giving active support at the development of these activities. After that, he/she will focus his/her activities taking part in the activities below mentioned:
- The employability project "Carmina entre Telas".
- Labor Insertion Atelier El Costurerico.
- Occupational workshops around the Region of Murcia about volunteering, employability, language, new technologies, social skills, etc.
- Organization and donation of clothes "Ropero Regional de Proyecto Abraham".
- Donation of food.
- Extracurricular activities with children (School support, draw, painting and games, etc.) in Cartagena and Murcia.
- Leisure and free time workshops and environmental activities.
- Collaboration in Communication department.
For what concern the terms of learning, the volunteers will have new opportunity of relationships that will foster their personal development. The volunteer will be in contact with people from others cultures, countries, religions, and costumes that will make them more tolerant and open minded. Through these relationships, the volunteers will understand the reality of our country, the community and the circumstances in which our directed beneficiaries are living. In this way, they will discover other realities, creating a new perspective about their own reality, giving more importance at their own life and finally acting in collective way.
We want to contribute at the improvement of their self-esteem for that sake of being volunteer and above of it, for belonging to another country and face an experience like this.
The Volunteer will learn a new language, Spanish, that will be useful not only to get in relation with local people but also will allow them to improve their linguistic competence. In addition, the volunteer will have the opportunity to practice different languages with our beneficiaries, our and others volunteers or our own staff.
PROFILE OF THE VOLUNTEERS
“Project Abraham” Association consider that due to the characteristic of our beneficiaries, the potential volunteer profile must have physical, moral and healthy conditions. We will value positively those candidates that possess solidary and generous spirit, with them-self and to the others people. That can respect and defend actively the dignity of the beneficiaries as well as to empower the integral development of the beneficiaries through empathy and patience.
It is important that the volunteer have some degree of maturity, emotional balance, capacity to stay with other people and the ability to adapt himself/herself to work in a team.
We will give a positive value to those people that are participative and communicative during the working meetings and during the development of the activities in general. People open to face new experiences and with attitude for self-initiative and creativity.
During the selection process, any young person interested and motivated to participate in our Project, able to respect our beneficiaries and responsible to get involved will be considered eligible for our volunteering activity. In this way, we are open to receive all kinds of proposals from people interested in our activities and that they want to show us the required characteristics.
ACCOMMODATION AND PRACTICAL ARRANGEMENTS
The volunteers participating in our project will live together with other European volunteers in an apartment situated in city centre and rented by the coordinating organization Euroaccion. Each volunteer will have his/her own room to guarantee privacy and good living conditions. Each month the coordinating organization Euroaccion will transfer to the volunteer’s Spanish bank account (opened at the arrival in Spain with the support of the coordinating organization) the amount of money correspondent to the pocket money and the food money. This money will be managed by the volunteer freely and independently.
The coordinating organization will pay monthly the rent of the apartment and the bills, in order to make volunteers free from these tasks. The apartment will be located around 30 minutes from our Organization. There is a bus line that takes the volunteer directly from his house to the place of work and vice versa with frequent passages. The coordinating organization will cover the costs of the monthly tickets for the public transport.
ESC - EUROPEAN SOLIDARITY CORPS
As a volunteer the European Solidarity Corps allows you to learn through non-formal experiences, improve existing or acquire new skills for your personal, educational or professional development.
The ESC service covers:
• Your travel expenses from where you live to Murcia and back (return ticket);
• All fees for visa and residence permission;
• Comprehensive insurance (health, accident and liability insurance);
• Free accommodation: a room in an apartment;
• Pocket money in the amount of 155 euros per month;
• Food allowance 155 euros per month;
• Participation in on-arrival and mid-term meeting.
If you are interested in this project, please, send your CV and Cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Volunteering in PROYECTO ABRAHAM.