Monday, December 14, 2020
Our generous Spring Mill PTO funds many of the initiatives that you see at the building level. We simply could not do so many of the amazing things that we do for our students and teachers without their support. Every contribution that you make, no matter how big or small, equals dollars for our entire school community. We sincerely appreciate your continuous support!
If you are interested in getting involved in our SM PTO, please contact our president Lauren Wright (firstname.lastname@example.org).
A Message from Ms. Merritt
Dear Spring Mill Families,
This is our last week of the 2nd quarter (1st semester) of school! The last day of virtual instruction is this Thursday, Dec 17th! There is no student day on Friday, December 18th!
It is hard to believe that we have already completed an entire semester. It has not been easy and we have faced so many challenges along the way. However, I hope you feel a great sense of satisfaction knowing that working together... We Made It! I want you to know that this work could not have been done without your continuous support, flexibility and patience. Thank you for extending us grace as our virtual learning plan, re-opening plan, schedules and routines changed multiple times this school year. This school community is just simply, RESILIENT!
On a more personal note, I want to thank you for trusting me as your leader with the health, safety and education of your children. I have appreciated and grown as a leader as a result of your feedback. For those of you who have reached out to me personally to just let me know that I have your support, you will never know how much your genuine care and concern has touched my heart. Thank you for extending me grace these past five months. I will always look back at this first year of being a building principal during a global pandemic and a school renovation project with humility and deep gratitude. This experience has been a tremendous gift both personally and professionally. There is no other place that I would rather be than here, right now working along side this outstanding school community. This year, Spring Mill Elementary, is the best gift I have received.
Kellee M. Merritt
Wellness Wednesday lead by Mr. Campbell & Miss Switalski
Wellness Wednesday Highlights
As part of our school’s effort to build community and foster healthy living among staff and students, we will have the second of four Spring Mill Wellness Wednesdays on December 16th.
Wellness Wednesdays are days where the entire school community is encouraged to wear wellness and fitness attire as we focus on cardiovascular endurance, mindfulness, mobility and strength. The focus of this quarter's Wellness Wednesday is mobility and mindfulness. Mobility is the ability to move freely and easily. Mindfulness is being aware of what you are sensing and feeling.
Virtual Winter Convocation
We hope to see you there! You can access the convocation by clicking the link in the red box below.
To access this special event please click this link Thursday, December 17th at 2:00 pm
MIss Eppen's Kindergarten Class Rocking Virtual Learning!
Reminders for Virtual Learning
Our virtual learning environment is intended to be a partnership between our school and your family. We know that navigating this type of learning model can be difficult for both you and your child. Therefore, we have established expectations to make this process more manageable. Adhering to these expectations is strongly encouraged. We are committed to both the social, emotional and academic success of your child.
- Instruction begins promptly at 8:30 a.m. daily. Students should eat breakfast prior to school starting.
- It is important that your child is ready for the day by being dressed, logged into their device and attentive to the teacher’s directions. Remind your child of the expectations for Zoom that the teacher has shared.
- Students' cameras are required to be ON during instruction for participation and engagement and to be counted present. If your child's camera is not on, please be prepared to explain why you are unable to do so as this is a requirement.
- Students not present for LIVE instruction will be counted as absent. (unexcused absence)
- Attendance will be taken daily, so it is important for students to log in and complete work each day. This is important for them to be successful.
- Complete all assignments by the timelines posted by each teacher on Canvas. This includes weekly Lexia and Dreambox lessons.
- Special Area lessons will be posted each day for all grade levels.
- If you have questions about what your child is learning, or need help, please contact your child's teacher. Teachers are available via email, phone call or during their daily afternoon office hours.
How Can I Help My Child During Virtual Learning?
- Provide a daily structure and routine for your child, based on the virtual learning schedule.
- Monitor student work and progress along with the teacher(s).
- Monitor voicemail and email frequently for school/district communication.
- Communicate regularly with teachers.
- Reach out when your child or you feel overwhelmed so we can provide support.
Creating a Future Vision for Teaching and Learning
The Washington Township School Board approved a 5 year strategic plan this past summer. The one page summary can be found on page 7 of the Washington Township Schools Strategic Plan. The priority area relating specifically to student achievement is below:
Priority 1 - Equitable Achievement: Provide an equitable educational environment that inspires and empowers all students to increase their academic success as well as their social and emotional learning skills.
Please share your feedback on this priority area and the strategic plan goals for student achievement by completing a brief survey. This will help to create a clear vision for teaching and learning in Washington Township Schools.
Please provide feedback before winter break and disregard the deadline that states the survey is due by December 11th. The deadline has been extended because your feedback is critical to our planning.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CollectiveVision - Spanish
Canvas is the name of the online learning platform that your child is using to access his or her live lessons and instructional activities and tasks. (Logging into Canvas directions shared above.)Click the link below for a recording from a previous parent Canvas training.