Alaska and China Missions Update
I apologize for any confusion the last newsletter may have caused. I was working off a copied draft and did not update the prayer request. Bonnie and I will be continuing our mission in China from March 6th-May 11th then we head for Alaska for about 3 months. After the trip to Alaska we plan on continuing with our mission to Asia.
Here' an update on our trip to Alaska this summer:
First of all I wanted to start out by telling everyone how this all came about. My wife and I have know for many years that someday we would have the opportunity to minister to people in Alaska. In 2014 we began to discuss with our missions pastor the possibility of taking some of our youth on short term missions trips to Alaska. In 2015 my wife and I moved to Southeast Asia and when we returned to the States in January of 2016 for a time of rest and fasting, the Lord impressed us to contact the founder of Alaska Missions. Our original plan to go for just two weeks during the month of July has now changed to us going the last week of May through the middle of August, we are really excited to be able to serve the local Alaskans and villagers in places like Anchorage, Kodiak, Kenai and Kotzebu during this now almost 3 month mission trip to the "Last Frontier”. We are both honored and excited for the opportunity we have to join others this summer and share the gospel of Jesus Christ. We hope you would prayerfully consider partnering with us as we share the gospel with the unreached in Alaska and Asia, your prayers and financial gifts are greatly appreciated.
Below is a schedule for our trip to Alaska:
May 23 arrive anchorage
May 24 set up your mobile home in Kenai, AK at College Heights Baptist Church
May 25 Fly to Kodiak, AK for Crabfest from Anchorage
May 25-30 Crabfest-serving villagers and families during this event
May 30 Ferry from Kodiak to Homer, AK
May 31 Outreach in Homer (Crabfest)
June Sports Camps / Construction Projects
July Sports Camp / Construction / Salmon Frenzy
August Construction Projects / Pastor's Conference
Kevin and Bonnie Swearingen
Prayer Request for Alaska
- Please pray about partnering with us for our mission to Alaska from May 23rd-August 16th where we will be serving the locals there through an outreach program, we currently need $4500.00 to cover airfare, food, lodging.
- 80% of Alaska is unchurched, with hundreds of remote villages filled with people who have never heard the gospel message of Jesus Christ.
- Alaska has the highest rate of alcohol consumption per capita.
- Alaska has an alarming rate of suicide among young people.
- In many areas, christians and missionaries are not welcome.
- Please pray for an open door there as we have the opportunity to demonstrate the love and power of the Gospel.
Prayer Request for China
- Please pray about partnering with us financially so that we can continue building relationships with the unreached people groups of Southeast Asia. We are believing for at least 100 people to partner with us financially for as little as $15.00 a month, this will allow us to continue to spread the gospel to the unreached people groups of Southeast Asia.
- Our plans to visit Nagaland and Nepal in late November and December to speak to local missionaries and leaders as well as visit some orphanages in a very poor area- have now been changed to the late summer of 2016. Please pray that I would have the guidance and direction needed.
- We would like to see more of the locals rise up and begin to lead areas of ministry in the local churches, outreach centers, life groups and English corners.
- We are beginning to really see an outpouring of grace and a hunger in the lives of the students here and are in need of more laborers.
- Please pray that we have continued direction in our personal lives and journeys.
- Please visit our website and blog at bkmissions.weebly.com