The History of
History of the game
Basketball got its start in 1891, when James Naismith was assigned to teach a Physical Education class at a YMCA in Massachusetts. Because of their location, it was mostly cold and rainy outside and Naismith was told to create a game for the young men to play to stay both occupied and in shape. Shockingly, the original rules of the game were predicated on throwing a ball into a nailed up basket that was raised on a wall. Kinda funny how this game later transformed into an international sport that is played by more than 250 million people worldwide today.
Information via: http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0875085.html
- (Fall of 1891) James Naismith invents the game of basketball.
- (March 23rd, 1893) The first Women's basketball game was played
- (March 26th, 1903) The NCAA starts having basketball games
- (1936) Basketball became an official Olympic sport
- (Summer of 1946) The ABA was formed
- (March 2nd, 1951) First All Star game was played
- (March 2nd, 1962) Wilt Chamberlain scores 100 points in a game
- (Feb. 17th, 1963) Michael Jordan is born
Through great players such as George Mikan, Bill Russel, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, and Oscar Robertson, the ABA and the NBA were born and soon would sky-rocket as NBC took over the role of spreading the game of basketball into the homes of millions of people throughout the United States.
Today, basketball is one of the most famous sports throughout the world. It has been a way for people in different countries to share interests, and to form bonds. Basketball plays a big role in everyday life, it gives people jobs along with other sports, jobs such as working at ESPN or working in the 32 different NBA arenas, or working in the thousands of NCAA arenas. Basketball has changed lives, cultures, and even the economy. The game of basketball has had a great impact on the world.