College Center- Class of 2024!
Follow us on Instagram: @Heights2college
Heights College Center Events
- September 27, 2023, Wednesday: Senior Parent Meeting- 6:30pm ***
- September 28, Thursday: University of Texas- Admissions Advisor Presentation
- October 5, Thursday: TACRAO College Fair - 1:00-3:00pm (Practice Gym)
- October 11, Wednesday: Application Workshop during PSAT testing
- October 19, Thursday: University of Houston- Admissions Advisor Presentation
- October 24, Tuesday: Early Action/Early Decision Mandatory Meeting
- October 30, Monday: No Trick or Treat 'til Complete- Application Workshop
- November 6, Monday: Texas State University- Admissions Advisor Presentation
*** All meetings are held during lunch and in the Teaching Theater (unless noted)
$$$$ SCHOLARSHIPS $$$$
Heights HS Scholarship Listing: www.tinyurl.com/cash4bulldogs
Dreamer/Non-Citizen Scholarship Opportunities List - HISD College Readiness
* Naviance: https://connection.naviance.com/auth/fclookup
* College Greenlight: https://www.collegegreenlight.com/
* Scholar Snapp: https://www.scholarsnapp.org/
* Big Future: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/scholarship-search
* Student Scholarship: http://bit.ly/2KzqrLm
Applying to SFA?: Submit your Scholarship Application in your MySFA account!
Incoming Freshman at University of Houston? Apply to this $1,000 scholarship here!
Going to HCC? Become an HCC Honor Student to apply for scholarships: Get Info here
College Board Opportunity Scholarships:
College Board Opportunity Scholarships program is currently open to class of 2024 students in the United States, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Territories, regardless of citizenship status. U.S. citizens and residents attending Department of Defense Education Activity schools abroad may also participate. https://opportunity.collegeboard.org/
Bryan Cameron Education Foundation Scholarship
- 4 year, full-tuition scholarship awarded to 10-15 exceptional high school students who have demonstrated excellence in leadership, community service, extracurricular activities, and academics
- Requirements: 3.7 Unweighted GPA, 2 Letters of Rec
- Application Deadline: September 8, 2023 @ Noon PST
- Application Link
The Gates Scholarship
- Highly selective, last-dollar scholarship for outstanding, minority, high school seniors from low-income households
- Award: Full Cost of Attendance to a 4 year university
- A high school Senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- Pell grant eligible
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- Cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Deadline to apply: September 15th
2024 Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship App Now Open!
The Coca-Cola Scholars Program scholarship is an achievement-based scholarship. Students are recognized for their capacity to lead and serve, as well as their commitment to making a significant impact on their schools and communities.
GPA Requirement: 3.0
Application Deadline: Monday, October 2, 2023 by 4pm
Rider University Scholarship
Rider University's full-tuition Trustee Scholarship offers eligible applicants a tuition-free four years at Rider. It provides a total value of approximately $150,000. To apply for the Trustee Scholarship, students must apply for early action admission by November 15 and meet the following criteria:
- Applicants submitting test scores: 3.7 GPA and 1340 SAT or 29 ACT
- Test optional applicants: minimum 3.8 GPA
- Submit a 400-500 word Trustee Scholarship essay
- Submit a 4-to 5-minute video
We encourage your students to learn more about the Trustee Scholarship at our upcoming virtual information session on Wednesday, October 18 at 6 p.m. Registration Link
5 Strong - HBCU Scholarship
- Reside in the Houston metropolitan area
- Be a current-year graduating high school senior
- Demonstrate the potential to be a leader in the classroom and on campus
- Have earned a GPA of at least 3.0 (Some HBCU Partners GPA requirements are higher)
- Have a minimum ACT score of 19 or a combined SAT score of 990 for both Evidence-Based Reading and Writing and Math sections (Some HBCU Partners test score requirements are higher)
- Commit to becoming a member of 5 Strong and to attending your selected HBCU.
- Be available to attend all mandatory bimonthly College Ready Prep Sessions (in person in Houston when safe, remotely for now)
Marvy Finger Family Foundation Scholarship
Houston ISD graduating seniors who are seeking a Career and Technical education pathway. The scholarship covers the cost of a recipient’s tuition, fees, books, and program equipment for two academic years at an approved Houston-area Community College.
- Be a citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Be an HISD student
- Meet the federal definition of low socio-economic status or be eligible for free or reduced lunch
- Have achieved a minimum 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA) or 3.0 for all Health Science programs
- Complete the FAFSA application and submit SAR (Student Aid Report).
Deadline: February, 2024
Minority Engineering Scholarship
UH HonorsMed Program
- The Honors College & College of Medicine at the University of Houston have partnered to provide students with a conditional acceptance pathway to medical school!
- 4 years in Honors College followed by 4 years in medical school at the Fertitta Family College of Medicine
- Students interested in applying to program must apply to UH, the Honors College and HonorsMed by 5pm November 1st
- Link to website
Dreamer/Non-Citizens Student Opportunities
Undocumented students who meet our eligibility criteria and are graduating from high school or community college in Spring 2022 can apply for the National Scholarship. This award is for up to $33,000 to obtain a bachelor's degree at one of our 70+ Partner Colleges across the country.
The application for the National Scholarship closes on February 2023.
Immigrant Rising Scholarship List:
- Hispanic Heritage Youth Awards
No Citizenship Required (Must have 3.0 or higher) Due Nov. 13th
- Jack Kent Cooke College Scholarship
No Citizenship Required (Must have unweighted 3.5 or above)
- Scholarships from A-Z for DACA/Undocumented students List
October 15th: Texas A&M Engineering- Priority
- Early Action or Early Decision Deadline
- University of Texas Priority Deadline
- University of Houston Priority SCHOLARSHIP Deadline
December: FAFSA opens!
- Texas A&M & Univ. of Texas Regular Deadline
- Texas State University & Texas Tech SCHOLARSHIP Deadline
January 1st, 15th, February 1st: Early Action II Deadline (check college for exact date)
Khan Academy: Sync your PSAT scores to your Khan Academy and get studying! https://www.khanacademy.org/SAT
Anticipated UPCOMING DATES:
Test Day: October 7, 2023 Registration Deadline: September 26, 2023
Test Day: November 4, 2023 Registration Deadline: October 24, 2023
Test Day: December 2, 2023 Registration Deadline: November 21, 2023
Test Day: March 9, 2024 Registration Deadline: February 23, 2024
Test Day: May 4, 2024 Registration Deadline: April 19, 2024
Test Day: June 1, 2024 Registration Deadline: May 17, 2024
Numerous colleges are announcing that they are remaining test optional for Fall 2024 admissions. Please keep in mind that numerous colleges still use SAT scores for scholarship purposes. Here is a link to view all the colleges that were test optional for Fall 2023. The list will be updated often.
College Application Steps
How to request a TEACHER Letter of Recommendation:
1. Open Schoolinks through Clever
2. From your Dashboard, click on Colleges and then College Applications
3. After syncing your Common Application to Schoolinks, you will see Colleges in this list.
4. Click on the pencil icon next to the University name
5. Click on "Add Recommender"
6. Search through the Heights teacher list
7. Once you find your teacher, highlight their name and click on "Next"
8. On the dropdown under subject, select the teachers subject
9. Click on "Submit Request"
Teachers name will appear under Teacher Evaluations.
How to request a transcript:
The College Center will send transcripts once they are uploaded to the colleges on your list.
COLLEGE APPLICATION PORTALS
Common Black College Application
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
Parent and Student Name, DOB, Social
Parent and Student 2022 1040 (Income Taxes)
Parent and Student 2022 W2
Assets (Savings, Stocks, Bonds)
CREATE A FSAID!
It is important that you write it down and keep track of the information you will use it every year!
Why do it?? Not all colleges take the css profile but if they do submitting the css profile can make you eligible for additional scholarships and funds.
What will you need:
2022 completed tax returns.
W-2 forms and other records from 2022
Records of untaxed income and benefits for the current and previous tax years.
Current bank statements.
Records of savings, stocks, bonds, trusts etc.
Fee for initial application and one college report is $25. Additional reports are $16. (Fee waivers are available for eligible students)
Income Tax Support
Baker Ripley Tax Center: 6500 Rookin Street, Suite C-101, Houston, TX 77074~ 713-272-3755
* Free Services for families earning up to $58,000: Tax returns, amendments, Free e-filing, ITIN applications.
* Preparing tax return and amendments for 2015-2020.
** Schedule your In-Person tax preparation appointment HERE
What is Verification?
REQUEST YOUR TAX TRANSCRIPT
Option 1: Order Online If you or your parents have a credit card you can create an account and get the transcript online immediately.
2. Create an account (use the information for whomever you are requesting the account for)
3. Request a 2021 tax transcript
Option 2: Order by Mail If you or your parents do NOT have a credit card AND you live at the same address where your parents’ 2022 taxes were filed, use this option:
2. Select “Get transcript by mail”
3. Enter information exactly as it appears on the 1040 tax form
4. Request a RETURN TRANSCRIPT for 2022.
EVENTS/OPPORTUNITIES FOR HISD STUDENTS
Located inside our Carnegie Neighborhood Library and Center for Learning. Find premier resources for youth, first time college seekers, and adult learners. Services are free and accessible with experienced staff available to ensure all learners are college and career ready.
cafécollege Houston Offers:
- Financial Aid Assistance with FAFSA, TASFA, scholarships, verification process, college expenses analysis, financial literacy and student loan guidance.
- College Enrollment Help completing college applications, admissions interviewing skills, essay writing, or transfer planning. Make an appointment today!
$100 Texas Jobs Research
Study details: We are looking for Texas HS students ages 14-18 and Texans ages 18-26
Topic: Future employment, career path, and job training.
$100 for participating in a 60-minute Zoom meeting online
Product Finisher Job Opportunity - Phantom Machine Works LP
The Production Finisher position performs all task involved in the production of the company’s products and operates CNC turning and milling equipment under strict supervision. This includes the cleaning, polishing, marking, and packaging of products. The position follows standard work methods and practices safe work
habits to ensure production is as efficient and safe as possible.
Fore more information contact Ms. Sharon Larson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amedisys Hospice Looking for Volunteers
You can find more information about the volunteering opportunity at the Amedisys Website
"Hospice volunteers are a special group of people that give of their time and talents to help patients and their families. They are available to visit with you and help run errands. They can also assist with daily activities and may read, sing, write letters, or just reminisce with you and your loved ones. Their support enhances the quality of life for patients and helps relieve some of the demands that are often placed on caregivers"
Contact Recruiter Yvonne Ojeda at email@example.com
News from Colleges & Universities:
Barnard Bound- Virtual Program
Barnard Bound is our signature program for high-achieving high school seniors who will be first generation to a four-year college and/or from low-income backgrounds. Barnard Bound programming includes panels, presentations, and conversations featuring current students, alumnae, faculty, and staff — all with the unique lens of what it means to be first-generation/low-income at Barnard and in spaces of higher education.
💻 The virtual program will be held on Saturday, October 14, 2023 for students across the United States.
Please note: All students must be current seniors in high school within the United States in order to apply and participate in the program.
TAMU- Ecology & Conservation Biology Prospective Student Info
The Department of Ecology & Conservation Biology (ECCB) at Texas A&M University is hosting an informational Zoom meeting for prospective students interested in a major in Ecology and Conservation Biology! If you are passionate about animals, plants, and the natural world and are considering a career where you can make a difference and create a better world for all, then you do not want to miss this informational!
Join us on Wednesday, September 27, 2023, at 6 p.m. in Zoom where we will provide an overview of the ECCB major and ECCB opportunities. We will discuss our four degree tracks, which include a include general ecology, pre-vet, accredited forestry, data science, and teaching certificate options. We will discuss careers paths, scholarships, education abroad, undergraduate research, and other fascinating opportunities you’ll have as student in ECCB. You’ll get the chance to ask some of our faculty, advisors, and current students questions and hear them discuss their experience at ECCB and what you can expect as an ECCB major. 🌿📚🌍🐘🦜
Register by Sep 27 at 6 PM at https://tx.ag/eccbregister
Join us on Zoom Sep 27 at 6 PM at https://tx.ag/eccbinfo
Cornell, Emory, Pomona, Rice, and Washington University in St. Louis on Zoom
Wednesday, September 27, at 7pm (Central)
Harvard, Princeton, the University of Virginia, Wellesley, and Yale Virtual Program
Harvard, Princeton, the University of Virginia, Wellesley, and Yale would like to spend some time with you. Don't miss your opportunity to hear admissions officers from all five schools discuss the variety of opportunities one can find at our institutions. Learn about scholarships and our generous need-based financial aid offerings.
We are committed to making education at our schools affordable, accessible, and unforgettable. Please join us.
Virtual Program Dates: Oct 1, Oct 15
Link to Register
Cougar Preview Dates
Cougar Preview is the University of Houston's grand on-campus experience for students to get to know their future home! This event provides an introduction to the UH form the Admissions team, an academic information session by your college of interest and an overview of scholarships and financial aid. Plus, you'll hear from current students who are excited to share their experiences.
- Saturday, Sept. 30th: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 28th: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Full Schedule and more info available here
Texas Tech Preview
Feel the spirit and excitement that permeates the Texas Tech campus while learning about the many academic and extracurricular opportunities that await you. You'll see firsthand why so many students choose to call it their next home and why alumni have such fond memories.
Monday October 9 | 8AM - 4 PM | Lubbock, TXSee flyer here
Notre Dame University- Houston "ND on the Road"
The University of Notre Dame's Office of Undergraduate Admissions will be hosting ND on the Road events in your area. These events will include information on academic, community, and spiritual life at the University of Notre Dame, as well as insights into the admissions and financial aid processes.
Tuesday, October 3, 2023 at 6:00 PM
St. Agnes Academy
9000 Bellaire Blvd
Thursday, October 12, 2023 at 7:00 PM
John Cooper School
1 John Cooper Dr
The Woodlands, TX
Registration for the ND on the Road events is available here:
October 3, 2023:
October 12, 2023:
ND additional links:
Website Link with even more records including diverse student perspectives and campus tour!
UCLA Virtual Admission Presentations
Virtual Freshman Admission Presentations are designed to help prospective students learn about academic opportunities, campus life, and the admission review process. The thirty-minute sessions are hosted by UCLA Undergraduate Admission representatives.
Sessions are on Zoom Two times per month on Wednesdays
Class of 2023
The earliest expected date of the final transcript to be sent is June 15, 2023.
The earliest you will be able to pick up a transcript/diploma will be June 20, 2023.
Check the website for any updates and specific dates.
To request the transcript, the link can be found in the Heights HS website. https://www.houstonisd.org/heights On the right side of the main page, under “Frequently Requested,” click on “Class of 2023 Final Transcript Request.”
***Complete the form so the Registrars office can send your transcript to the correct college.