Of Studies by Robert Bacon
The Joys of Learning
"Read not to contradict, nor to believe, but to weigh and consider."
- Why fight when discussion is a perfectly viable option? The whole goal of education is to facilitate civilized, intelligent problem solving skills to reduce costly conflict.
- The most educated man is the one with the most understanding mind, or at least he should be.
- Not all literary works are the same. Reading teaches discretion, and with it, critical thinking.
Why should I read?
- A well-read man is a patient one; he is able to make wise decisions on the spot.
- The art of real, in-depth judgment is a critical one. Learn it well and don't jump to conclusions.
- It is during these simple contemplative times in life where one experiences the greatest moments of joy. Never underestimate the power of the mind or words on a page.