Irons Jr. High Newsletter
We Are Hawks!
I hope everyone had a great Spring Break! I have enjoyed seeing all our students back on campus. The ability to go outside and take a break from our masks has been a welcomed change. As we move into our final grading period this school year, I encourage you to regularly check your student's grades in parent access center.
Irons Jr. High had great success in CISD Engineering and Design Competition and Science Bowl this year. Irons took the highest honor in the district with 1st place for Top Vehicle and 1st Place for Top Gun (time completion) in EDC, and 1st place in Science Bowl.
Please congratulate Chase Mendoza and Austin Ogbunuju for their win at the CISD Engineering and Design Competition and our Science Bowl team AJ Alaniz, Sarah McClaren, William Dorrett, Minnie Radice-Beedle, and Travis Filer for the victory in Science Bowl.
Great Job Hawks!!
CISD will offer summer school from June 7th to June 25th. Summer school detailed information will be coming out soon. However, this is what I know so far.
- Summer school session 1 - 8:00am to 9:50am Monday through Friday.
- Summer school session 2 - 10:00am to 12:00pm Monday through Friday.
- The cost for credit recovery (classes your student did not pass) is $140 for each class.
- Summer School will take place at Knox Jr. High.
Parents, we need your help. We see a high level of absenteeism on Monday and Friday. If your child is not sick or in quarantine, please have them attend school daily. Currently, we are running a 92 percent attendance rate on Friday and Monday while we run a 96.5 percent attendance rate in the middle of the week. Attendance impacts learning. Please do your part and send your child to school every day.
- Chromebook collection will take place starting this week for our in-person students. Please review the schedule below.
- STAAR assessments start next week, all students in attendance on STAAR days will take the assessment.
- Please encourage your child to wear face coverings throughout the school day. We will continue practicing distancing in the classrooms, halls, and cafeteria.
If your child is sick, please keep them home. If your child is exposed to or positive for COVID-19, please reach out to Irons at email@example.com so we can provide the appropriate support and make the required notifications.
Irons Jr. High Principal
We Are Hawks!
From Our Counselors
Parents of 7th-grade remote students,
Please have your student check his/her course registration list of courses for the upcoming 8th grade school year. Students will log in to the SSO, student access account, and find the courses under Student Plans/JHS Requests. If any changes are needed, please send an email to the counselor.
In-person students will receive a hard copy of the requested courses.
The final deadline for all schedule changes is May 3rd.
We are here to help if you have any questions.
Melissa Thetford (Last names A-G)
Sandra Mikush (Last names H-N)
Cindy Burgess (Last names O-Z)
STAAR Testing Information
7th Grade Writing -Tuesday, April 6th.
Algebra 1 EOC- Tuesday, May 4th. Only for those students currently enrolled in Algebra 1.
8th Grade Science - Thursday, May 6th.
8th Grade Social Studies - Friday, May 7th.
7th & 8th Grade Math - Tuesday, May 11th.
7th & 8th Grade Reading - Wednesday, May 12th.
- Students should arrive to campus no later than 8:45am.
- All testing materials (pencil, testing booklet, etc) will be provided.
- Students will be eating lunch at school. They can bring their own lunch or obtain one from the cafeteria. Currently, lunch is free for all students.
- Remote students may be picked up after testing is complete which should be around 1:30pm.
- If a student needs bus transportation, a student must be registered at least 5 days in advance. https://www.conroeisd.net/transportation/
- Buses will only transport students home at the end of the day and students will be required to stay on campus all day unless parents can pick up the student.
- Remote students may be in a room with students that are not remote, however, all students are required to follow our current safety protocols.
- All students that do not attend on their scheduled test days will be scheduled for a make-up session.
- Make-up Days: May 13th and May 14th.
If your child is a remote student and is currently served under Special Education, 504, or ESL and has the online testing accommodation in their plan, have them click the link below for the online tutorial to familiarize themselves with the online STAAR platform.
If you have any specific questions regarding STAAR testing, please contact our testing coordinator, Rachel Moore, at RRmoore@conroeisd.net or 936-709-8545.
Chromebook Collection Schedule
Mrs. Lundberg will begin collecting Chromebooks from in-person students starting this week through Language Arts classes. Please remind your student to bring their Chromebook and charger prepared to turn in according to the schedule. If you have a hotspot provided by CISD, you will return that as well. When students are absent, you will have time to complete makeup assignments just as students have done in previous school years. If your child is covid positive or will need to quarantine, we will issue Chromebooks if you are in need.
Students who continue to remain in the remote learning environment may keep their Chromebooks/hotspots until the end of the year.
All Chromebooks and Hotspots must be returned by Friday, May 28, 2021. We will have more information on the collection process in a few weeks.
- Ulbricht – Monday, March 29th
- Olson – Tuesday, March 30th
- Sorbo – Wednesday, March 31st
- Boyd – Thursday, April 1st
- Surgers – Monday, April 5th
- Fisk – Wednesday, April 7th
- Burnham – Thursday, April 8th
- Moore – Friday, April 9th
- Williams – Monday, April 12th
- Washington – Tuesday, April 13th
- Hebert/Cooper/Anderson/Wills/Henry – Wednesday, April 14th
Picture Day April 13
4/2 Student and Staff Holiday
4/6 7th Writing (Make-up 4/7)
4/12-4/15 Drill Tryouts
4/13 Spring Picture Day Rescheduled
5/4 Algebra 1 EOC(Make-up 5/5)
5/6 8th Science
5/7 8th Social Studies
5/11 7th & 8th Math
5/12 7th & 8th Reading
5/13 and 5/14 Make-up
5/20-5-26 Semester Exams
5/26 Last Day of School
6/1-6/3 Summer GT Testing Opportunity
Irons Spring Semester Exam Schedule 20-21
Irons Spirit Night April 8th Crust Pizza
Summer GT Testing Opportunity
Referrals will be accepted from April 1 - April 30. Referrals can be made by teachers or parents and should be sent to Rachel Moore firstname.lastname@example.org
Note, students who took any GT testing this school year may not participate in this round of testing.
- Testing will be the week of June 1 - June 3 at Bush Elementary from 8:00am - 11:00am.
- If you are interested please request a parent permission slip from Rachel Moore email@example.com
- All forms are due back to Rachel Moore by May 26th.
Incoming 7th Grade Immunizations
INSTRUCTION BEGINS AT 8:50AM
Students must be in their seat when the bell rings at 8:50AM. Students not in their seat will be counted as tardy.
Student are given 6 free tardies per nine weeks. Tardy seven will result in a one hour after school detention.