November 2022 Board Meeting Recap
Fremont School District 79
Regular Board Meeting
Gabriela Whipple, Board President, welcomed all in attendance, as well as those who were watching the meeting on YouTube. She offered thanks to the schools for hosting a series of Veterans Day assemblies in order to honor all those who serve or have served our nation. She also thanked all of those who participated as guest readers at the Fremont PTO's recent Reading Rally to celebrate the importance of literacy.
Dr. Trisha Kocanda, Superintendent of Schools, remarked on the following items:
- Our schools recently hosted parent-teacher conferences. There was tremendous preparation for these engagements and the participation is appreciated.
- November 15 was Illinois School Board Members Day. Thank you to our Board for their service as volunteers and their focus on doing what is best for the schools and the community. The following video was shown to the Board as a thank you and reminder of their service.
- A new development plan is in the works for the Wirtz family farm that is adjacent to Route 60 and within our District boundaries. FSD79 administrators are working closely with the Village of Mundelein and will be attending the Village meeting on December 12 when more details about the plan are expected to be unveiled. We will keep our community apprised as more information becomes available.
- The first stage of the Superintendent's Entry Plan is wrapping up. Dr. Kocanda has meetings scheduled with FSD79 alums who currently attend Mundelein High School as well as Grayslake Central High School. The themes from the fall focus groups are being coded and a community-wide survey is being prepared for a January launch.
Board of Education Recognition
The Board of Education continued a new agenda item in which it recognizes a group or individual for their service or an accomplishment. Members of the Fremont Middle School National Junior Honor Society Executive Board were recognized for their leadership in the areas of academics and service. Congratulations to these individuals who are well-rounded student leaders in their school, community, and beyond.
Allison Stempien, Director of Human Resources and Administrative Services, provided an update on how the District plans to attract and retain the highest-quality talent. The District created a Strategic Recruitment Committee, which includes administrative team members, to evaluate the best way to recruit candidates during a national educator shortage. The committee solicited feedback from employees to guide the themes for inclusion in promotional products. Additionally, the committee is evaluating how to create meaningful job postings, where to source high-quality talent, and is evaluating the interview, selection, and onboarding processes to ensure efficiency and consistency. The District has developed a competitive compensation plan that ensures a fair, fiscally responsible, and competitive pay structure to assist with hiring and retaining employees.
Communication Audit and Revised Communications Plan
Upon completion of the District's 2022-23 Communications Plan earlier this fall, the District partnered with communications specialists who performed an audit of the District's communications efforts. Upon review of this audit, the communications plan was amended to incorporate their suggestions. Included among these additions are plans for the District to redesign its website as well as undergo a rebrand in time for the start of the 2023-24 school year.
On Monday, November 21, the District was notified by the Daily Herald that the public
notice for the truth-in-taxation public hearing was published in the wrong zone on November
17. The notice was published in DuPage County, not Lake County. The Daily Herald is
taking full responsibility for this error. As such, the adoption of the 2022 final levy has been moved to the December 19 Board of Education meeting.
The Consent Agenda and Following Action Items Were Approved:
Non-Licensed/Non-Administrative Salary Market Adjustment
Health Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Plan
Intervention in Proceedings before the State of Illinois Property Tax Appeal Board
Disposal of School District Personal Property
Bid Award for Health Life Safety Improvement
To view the Board Packet materials from the November 28, 2022 Meeting, click here.
Fremont School District 79
Address: 28855 North Fremont Center Road, Mundelein, IL
Phone: (847) 566-0169