sectionalism and Industrialization
By: Autumn Brooke Jenkins
The Cotton Gin
- A machine that quickly and easily separates cotton fibers from their seeds,
- It was invented by Eli Whitney in 1794,
- The cotton gin made little money
- Phineas Miller and Eli whitney formed a cotton gin manufacturing company
- The Monroe Doctrine was a U.S. foreign policy regarding domination of the American continent in 1823.
- It stated that further efforts by European nations to colonize land or interfere with states in North or South America would be viewed as acts of aggression, requiring U.S. intervention.
- president James Monroe's 1823 annual message to congress contained the Monroe doctrine.
- the Monroe Doctrine Was invoked in 1865 when the U.S Goverment exerted diplomatic and military pressure in support of the Mexican president Benito Juarez.
War of 1812
- War of 1812 was a military conflict, lasting for two and a half years, fought by the U.S against the U.k and Great Britain.
- U.S suffered many costly defeats at the hands of british, canadian, and native american troops over the course of the war of 1812 including the capture and burning of the Nations capital, washington D.C in August 1814.
- The ratification of the treaty of gehnt on febuary 17,1815 ended the war.
- James madison is considered the "father of the constitution" but it was the war of 1812 that ultimatley defined his presidency.
- Tecumseh was a Shawnee chief and leader of a large tribal confederacy that opposed American territorial expansion. He joined the British commander of Upper Canada