The Beehive Bulletin
York Avenue Family Newsletter - 8/23/22
Message from Mrs. Richardson
Dear York Avenue Families,
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! I hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer and are ready to start a new school year on Tuesday, August 30th. All of us at York Ave. are looking forward to welcoming students back to school and working with our families and community to support high-level learning.
We are delighted to have new staff on our team. Please join me in extending a warm welcome to the following staff members:
- Ms. Sarah Meuanthongchanh, Counselor
Mr. Tom Zodrow, 1st grade teacher
Ms. Jennifer Harkins, 3rd grade teacher
Ms. Kristen Dalton, 5th grade teacher w/ Mr. Devlin
Ms. Rachel Westgate, School Psychologist
Ms. Donna Mclaughlin, Staff Nurse
Ms. Latia Ceranic, Technology Support Specialist
Mr. Erik Huebner, School Climate Coordinator
Ms. Casey Miller, Inclusion Facilitator
Mr. Jake McGuriman, Cafeteria Monitor
The York Avenue staff has been very busy gearing up for an incredible school year. The first day of school is Tuesday, August 30, 2022. The school day starts at 9:10 AM and ends at 3:40 PM. Students can enter the building at 8:50 AM for breakfast or arrive at 9:00 when the first bell rings. Only students will be permitted to enter, however, our staff members will welcome them into the building and help them find their classrooms in the first weeks of school. If they enter after 9:10, they will be marked late. We begin our dismissal process at 3:35 PM. If you are picking your child up from school, always bring photo identification.
Please be sure to visit the Families section of the North Penn website for important school information. Additionally, please review NP’s Welcome Back to School Meals Newsletter. Information about changes from the School Nutrition Department for the 2022-2023 school year is listed below.
As Principal of York Avenue, it is important to me that everyone in our community feels connected to our school and that York Ave. is a positive, kind, and caring place for our students, staff, and families. In order to continue to build positive relationships, please mark your calendars for our Back to School Night on Tuesday, September 13th, from 6:30-8:00 pm. This will be a great time to meet your child’s teachers, as well as other families, and learn more about the new school year. Also, please join us on September 20th at 6:30 PM for our first Home & School Meeting of the year.
As always, please feel free to reach out to our main office at 215-368-6002 with questions. Together, we can make this school year our best one yet!
Dipa P. Richardson
School Breakfast and Lunch Information- Changes for the 2022-2023 School Year
Breakfast will be free again for all students in 2022-23.
Lunch will NOT be free for all students. However, it will be free for students identified as needing FREE & REDUCED lunch.
Students will need their ID cards when getting breakfast and/or lunch. If they do not have their ID card, they can enter their student ID number in the pin pad. IDs will be given on the first day.
You can add money to a student’s meal account using SchoolCafe.com or send in cash or check (payable to NPSNS) with your child and the school nutrition cashier will add the money to their meal account.
Price Lists for all grade levels can be found on the School Nutrition website here.
Please help your student get ready for this change by learning their PIN. If you do not know your student’s school ID, please log in to Infinite Campus. To help your student learn their ID number, use our friendly practice sheet.
Our teachers are outside for arrival duty at 8:50 and families may begin dropping off children at that time. Please stay with your child if you arrive early to ensure adult supervision.
Remind your child to wait and enter using the appropriate door:
Kindergarten: Door #5, on Mitchell Avenue
1st & 6th grade: Door #1, main entrance
2nd & 3rd grade: Door #2, next to main entrance
4th & 5th grade: Door #3, corner door
Bus riders: join your grade level at the door listed above
Morning Car Line:
All drop offs are between the orange cones in front of the main entrance. Please pull your car up to the large sign carried by our 6th grade safety.
Do not park or exit your car in the car line to keep it moving.
Keeping safety in mind, please do not go around vehicles in front of you and do not attempt to back up your vehicle.
As the space in front of you becomes available, the next set of vehicles will pull forward and drop off their child(ren) between the orange cones.
- When in the car line, please practice patience. Staff members are available to assist the students with their backpacks or any other item they need to get out of the vehicle.
Dismissal begins at 3:35 starting with extended care and bus/van riders.
Grades 1-6 exit through the main doors.
Kindergarten exits through Door 5 on Mitchell Ave.
Afternoon Car Line:
- Pull up between the cones in front of the school. To keep the line moving, do not park and leave your car in the car line or along the curb near the playground. There are clearly marked signs by the Township not to park in front of the school during the hours of 8:00-4:00 pm on school days.
Please pull up between the cones as the cars in front of you leave.
If you park across the street or elsewhere, please exit your vehicle and wait for your child on school property.
Please cross the street at a corner to return back to your car rather than running across the street.
Please be careful when pulling out of your parking spot and watch for other vehicles and our walkers.
Riding a Bike To and From School:
Students in grades 3-6 may ride a bike to school independently with this signed consent form provided by the school.
With safety of our students being a top priority, please have your child wear a helmet.
If students are repeatedly conducting themselves unsafely, bike riding privileges will be revoked.
Meet the Counselor
My name is Sarah Meuanthongchanh and I am your new School Counselor. I am so excited and honored to be a part of this amazing community. With me, I bring over 17 years experience as a School Counselor and many years working in mental health. I am eager to meet all of my kiddos and York Avenue families. I am looking forward to partnering with you all to make this the best year yet!
My husband and I have 2 daughters and love hiking, cooking and spending time at the beach. We recently adopted 3 kittens that are keeping us VERY busy. I love crafting, baking and being out in nature.
I can be reached through email email@example.com or by phone, 215-368-6002 x1688.
YA Supply Lists
During the week of August 22nd, teacher assignments will be released on Infinite Campus. If you do not have access to Infinite Campus, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
YA Supply Lists
The school day starts at 9:10 AM and ends at 3:40 PM. Students can enter the building at 8:50 AM for breakfast or arrive at 9:00 when the first bell rings. If they enter after 9:10, they will be marked late. We begin our dismissal process at 3:35 PM.
We have free school bags and school supplies for families that need them. Please email Ms. Meuanthongchanh, the school counselor at email@example.com or 215-368-6002 x1688 and leave the student name(s) and your need.
North Penn Calendar
Please see the NPSD calendar for the 2022-2023 school year.
North Penn Calendar
IMPORTANT INFO FOR PARENTS/GUARDIANS
HOW TO REPORT ABSENCE, TARDINESS, AND/OR EARLY DISMISSAL
- Reports must be made by 9:30am. A "Safe at Home" call will be attempted for students who are marked absent by the teacher.
- PREFERRED METHOD: Using your mobile device, download and install the SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store (or use the website https://go.schoolmessenger.com). The first time you use the app/website, select Sign Up to create your account using an email address we have on file for you. Select Attendance then Report an Absence, Tardiness, and/or Early Dismissal. (Please note: if you know your child will be out of school ahead of time, you can preschedule the absence using the app.)
HOW TO STAY CONNECTED TO OTHER FAMILIES
- Please connect with Home & School on Facebook @ York Avenue Elementary Home & School.
HOW TO FIND INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR CHILD
- Infinite Campus is the location for student schedules, grades, report cards, contact information and many other things. If you are having trouble with Infinite Campus (log in issues, missing information, etc.) please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO TRACK YOUR CHILD’S SCHOOL MEALS AND ADD FUNDS TO YOUR CHILD’S MEAL ACCOUNT
- LUNCH- Parents/guardians may add money to and monitor their child's lunch account via School Cafe or send in cash or check (payable to NPSNS) in an envelope with your child’s name. Students may bring a packed lunch or buy lunch in the Cafeteria. Families should apply online for free/reduced meals or use the printed application. School menus can be found online.
- BREAKFAST- Breakfast is free for ALL North Penn students this year. Students will need to go to the Cafeteria as soon as they arrive to pick up breakfast with their IDs.
- SNACK- Please note that we have an increasing number of students with potential life-threatening allergies; please check with your child's teacher about appropriate snacks.
News from Home & School
Supporting students and staff is the heart of what we do. There is always room for more VOLUNTEERS! Please reach out to email@example.com to learn more or click here to sign up. You can also connect on Facebook @ York Avenue Elementary Home & School. For more information, please reach out to the 22-23 H&S Board.
Tony Di Domizio
More Ways to Support York Avenue
Direct your charity dollars via AmazonSmile!
SHOPRITE FOR MY SCHOOL PROGRAM
Do you shop at ShopRite? Have family members that shop there? Sign your rewards card up at the link below, pick York Ave Elem and we will automatically be credited for any Box Top rewards that are purchased. EASY! https://www.shopriteformyschool.com/Register-my-Card
BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION APP
Box Tops has gone digital-- click for info! Link the app to York Ave Elem. Scan a store receipt within 14 days of purchase. The app will identify products on the receipt and credit York Ave's earnings online. YA will receive a check twice per year to be used towards our needs.
Can you help reach this year's goal of $1,000?